Setting up in a club - multicore vs serato-style RCA
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    sebastiannz

Default Setting up in a club - multicore vs serato-style RCA

hey guys have a couple of questions about setting up traktor scratch in a club. i've never used a digital system out before and my cdj mates give me shit about how hard it will be to setup. so i've done a bit of research and have quite a few ideas about how to do it seamlessly without pissing off the other dj or killing the music

the one thing i'm still not sure about is whether multicore cables or just straight RCAs are easier. since most clubs have cdjs now i figure it would be easier just to unplug the cdj RCAs, plug those into the output on my audio4, and then run two separate RCAs into both cdjs inputs. is this the easiest way to do it ?

the only negative is i won't obviously be able to use the cdjs to play normal cds, but i'm not too fussed about that. the main benefit is not having to fiddle at the back of the mixer which can be a pain. what do you guys think?

this video may be of help.. i can't remember if i first saw it on this forum or another a couple of weekes ago, but it may be of some use to you.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PBx_RHjLh7Y

Hmmm... interesting. I have no clue what that guy did in the video, but tomorrow I'm busting out my SL-1 Box and Audio-4 and trying to figure it out on each.
    Technics1200-M5G/DDJ-SZ
    WWW.ARTHURNAVA.COM

Tech Guru

ive half built a switch over box with 4 inputs and 4 outputs, plus deicaded CDJ/TT pass through.
    Traktor Scratch Pro 2.7, MBP 13", iPad 2 & TouchOSC, Reloop NEON, Pioneer DJM750mk2, Mackie d.2, Pioneer CDJ800 x2, Technics SL1210MK2 x2, NI Audio 6 DJ, Dicers,

should be easy enough either way.

And you can use the CDJ normally, just click the little arrow under the big Deck label letter (A/B/C/D) and set the deck mode to 'Audio Through'.
    TSP 2 | Serato DJ | Live 8 | MBP (SSD + HDD) | AIAIA TMA-1 Fool's Gold Edition | 1200 Mk2s | MidiFighter | KRK RP5
    Xone: DB4 | Pioneer CDJ-2000 Nexus
    DJTT FAQ | Read my guide to AUDIO CABLES

Quote Originally Posted by sebastiannz View Post
    hey guys have a couple of questions about setting up traktor scratch in a club. i've never used a digital system out before and my cdj mates give me shit about how hard it will be to setup. so i've done a bit of research and have quite a few ideas about how to do it seamlessly without pissing off the other dj or killing the music

the one thing i'm still not sure about is whether multicore cables or just straight RCAs are easier. since most clubs have cdjs now i figure it would be easier just to unplug the cdj RCAs, plug those into the output on my audio4, and then run two separate RCAs into both cdjs inputs. is this the easiest way to do it ?

the only negative is i won't obviously be able to use the cdjs to play normal cds, but i'm not too fussed about that. the main benefit is not having to fiddle at the back of the mixer which can be a pain. what do you guys think?
    I personally have used the multicore cables with Torq for years and highly recommend them if you have a regular gig at a bar/club where you feel safe leaving them and knowing they're not going to get jacked by someone on a night that you're not there.

They are a permanent fix to the problem of swapping over DJs who use regular vinyl or CDs since the throughput plugs on the multicore cables means that you never have to worry about unplugging any of the phono or line RCAs from the back of the mixer to swap them out for your choice of DVS... everything just works all the time!

After initial setup of the mixer ends of the multicores, it's really as simple as leaving the in & out ends in an accessible area that you can get to to plug your Traktor box in then you're ready to rock!

At my gig on Saturdays mine are tucked in behind the mixer in the roadcase so when I turn up I just plug in my connective, hook it up to my macbook, flick the phono channels over to line (I'm using the timecoded vinyl) and everything is ready to go. Same would apply for you however you'd just set up your cables on the CD/line channels rather than the line/phono channels since you're using CDs it sound like.

It's a little different if you're playing with DJs who also use a DVS. You would either have to swap a channel over at a time so you mix into their last track using Traktor, or you could just mix in a regular record/CD while you wait for them to completely unplug their box to swap in yours.

Hope that helps
    Macbook Pro 15"
    Torq 2.0
    Connective
    Akai MPD 24

I like the idea in that video, im planning to move over to traktor scratch for playing out when iv got the money, ill definately be using this. thanks for the video

Tech Guru

Quote Originally Posted by fullenglishpint View Post
    should be easy enough either way.

And you can use the CDJ normally, just click the little arrow under the big Deck label letter (A/B/C/D) and set the deck mode to 'Audio Through'.
    yeah, but in my experience, when you switch back to use timecode control after a prolonged audio through session, my tracks play backwards...the only thing to do is reboot traktor
    Traktor Scratch Pro 2.7, MBP 13", iPad 2 & TouchOSC, Reloop NEON, Pioneer DJM750mk2, Mackie d.2, Pioneer CDJ800 x2, Technics SL1210MK2 x2, NI Audio 6 DJ, Dicers,

or just recaibrate surely...
    TSP 2 | Serato DJ | Live 8 | MBP (SSD + HDD) | AIAIA TMA-1 Fool's Gold Edition | 1200 Mk2s | MidiFighter | KRK RP5
    Xone: DB4 | Pioneer CDJ-2000 Nexus
    DJTT FAQ | Read my guide to AUDIO CABLES

Tech Guru

yeah, but it shouldnt need to be done

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast