Using the UC-33e as a MIDI interface
    Tech Wizard

Default Using the UC-33e as a MIDI interface

I'm trying to connect my Faderfox DX2 (midi channel 16) to my PC via the MIDI IN and USB MIDI OUT port on the M-Audio UC-33e. I'm able to receive signals from the UC-33e (in Traktor and MIDI-OX), but not from the DX2.

From the UC-33e instruction manual:

The MIDI in plug can be used to interface another MIDI device to your PC, via the USB port. Data received from this device will be transmitted via the
    UC-33 to the PC.This is achieved using a second USB MIDI out. So, when you select the MIDI devices section of your sequencer you will see two UC-33
    USB MIDI Ins.The first of these is used to receive the UC-33 controller data, the second is used to receive data from the other device connected to the
    UC-33’s MIDI IN plug. So, the UC-33 is acting as a MIDI-to- USB interface for the other MIDI device.
    I also enabled the MIDI OUT FROM USB mode on the UC-33e, but still got nothing.

To test where the problem was, I connected my Livid Ohm (which does work when connected directly to the PC via USB) from its MIDI OUT to the UC-33e's MIDI IN port. The PC, still, didn't register any MIDI input from the Ohm. I think the problem might lie in the UC-33e.

Can the UC-33e be used as a MIDI interface for other devices?
    What can I do to get the Faderfox to work?
    Thanks

I have done something pretty similar but using the audio 8 midi input and the uc33e midi output, and that worked for me. I'm on my iPhone in work at the min so i can't check but, have you tried going into midi settings and opening the ports for the uc33e in and out? I can't fully remember the proper terms, I can check later though.
    MBPro - UC-33e - Audio 10 - TSP2 - Xone 22 - 1210's - Mackie MR5's

Oh and I know it sounds daft but have you got power for the livid or the fader fox's? Midi cables do not send power like USB, I'm sure you knew that though.

TBH, I thought you'd need a midi through port on a controller to let another midi controller communicate with your computer (in other words: daisy-chaining is not possible with midi controllers), but from the manual it seems that your setup should work.

Quote Originally Posted by Jo3 View Post
    Midi cables do not send power like USB, I'm sure you knew that though.
    That's the only thing I can come up with too...
    Check out my work!

Vestax VCM-600 (for sale!) - Allen & Heath Xone:62 - Focusrite Saffire LE - Ultimate Ears Triple.Fi 10 Pro - Traktor Pro 2.1 - Ableton Live 8 - MacBook Pro 15"

Tech Wizard

Quote Originally Posted by Jo3 View Post
    I have done something pretty similar but using the audio 8 midi input and the uc33e midi output, and that worked for me. I'm on my iPhone in work at the min so i can't check but, have you tried going into midi settings and opening the ports for the uc33e in and out? I can't fully remember the proper terms, I can check later though.
    The only midi settings I am aware of in the UC-33e is toggling the MIDI OUT FROM USB (by holding the SELECT and ASSIGN buttons simultaneously). That didn't work either.

I'm able to use the UC-33e to successfully send MIDI signals to my PC and it works great with Traktor PRO. I just can't get it to interface the DX2 with the PC via its USB MIDI OUT functionality. Since the DX2 can only send and receive data via its MIDI ports, I can't use it as I don't have any other MIDI interface (i.e. an Audio 8).

All the midi controllers (UC-33e, DX2, Ohm) are powered and their lights are working as they should.
    Thanks.

This definitely works - I've had a Rolls midi pedal going through my UC-33e for years.

Best way to achieve it is using midi-ox. Combine both controllers outputs into a single output in midi-ox, and have that output send to your software.

Takes a bit of fiddling, but it DEFINITELY works...
    DJ'ing: 2x1200MK2, DJM 850, Dicers, F1, Zomo MC-1000, Sony MDR-v700, i7 Win 10 HP Envy
    Production: Ableton Live 8 and a mouse, Sennheiser HD400, Sony VAIO

Click HERE to D/L Free Tracks from Soundcloud!!!
    https://www.facebook.com/Patchdj

whats midi-ox?

In traktor preferences add general midi UC-33e and try putting all ports in both in port and out port.

I don't see the need for more software.

You shouldn't have to mess with settings on the UC-33 either.

Tech Wizard

Quote Originally Posted by Patch View Post
    This definitely works - I've had a Rolls midi pedal going through my UC-33e for years.

Best way to achieve it is using midi-ox. Combine both controllers outputs into a single output in midi-ox, and have that output send to your software.

Takes a bit of fiddling, but it DEFINITELY works...
    Glad to hear! Could you run me through the process or point me in the right direction?

In MIDI-OX I have 2 inputs registered as UC-33 USB MIDI Controls [1] and UC-33 USB MIDI Controls [2]. The latter should be the connected Faderfox. Which output do I patch these inputs to?

The output monitor in MIDI-OX is still not registering any button presses from my Faderfox and nor my Ohm.

Are there any settings that need to be calibrated on the UC-33e itself? As you can probably tell, I'm pretty lost. I'd love some input guys! (pun intended)

You need to create a NEW midi-ox output. I'd call it UC-33e Combined, or UC-33e + FF.

Your 2 inputs will be shown on the left of your screen (as the end of a midi cable) and outputs will be on the right (midi cables again).

Then, you need to create links from the 2 UC-33e inputs, to the one midi-ox ouput. Effectively merging the 2 inputs into a single output.

Then, select the new output as the input in your DJ software.

Midi-ox is pretty awesome. If they created a nicer user interface, and made it a little easier to understand, it would get used LOT more.

It's worth spending the time to learn how to use it.
    DJ'ing: 2x1200MK2, DJM 850, Dicers, F1, Zomo MC-1000, Sony MDR-v700, i7 Win 10 HP Envy
    Production: Ableton Live 8 and a mouse, Sennheiser HD400, Sony VAIO

Click HERE to D/L Free Tracks from Soundcloud!!!
    https://www.facebook.com/Patchdj

Tech Student

Hi

Im pretty new myself to all this and im in the process of figuring out everything at the moment.

I have a uc33 and traktor scratch pro. I want to fully utilise the uc33 so whats the best actions for mapping it etc and using the pre sets. Any help would be great.

Thanks in advance