why multiple outputs?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Tech Wizard

Default why multiple outputs?

ok so i understand having at least two outputs is what DJs need. headphone cuing with one set of outputs, and the regular speaker outputs for another.

my question is... what purpose would more outputs serve? does it mean if you have two sets of outputs, you cant hook up more speakers for louder music? or is there some other purpose?

only reason is, im deciding on buying the Novation NIO 2|4 for use with a VCI-100B, however I dont want to spend the money on it when the equipment will not be suitable for use in school dances and small parties.

thanks!
    -tom

Tech Mentor

In certain venues, you will need four outputs, the other two will be used as monitors for you. This is good when there is loud sound system and what you hear is different from what your audience hears. Since its all about where your ears sit.
    Thank Ya!!!

There are a few reasons
    1) for monitoring
    2) for cueing
    3) for suround sound mixing - more than 2 channels
    4) for djing with a friend and you need more than 1 cue.

Tech Wizard

well i understand like outputs 1/2= what the crowd hears and outputs 3/4= what DJ hears in headphones. but is the only use of more outputs like 5/6 and 7/8 for louder music or do they have another purpose?

im not going to be DJing for Sensation White or anything. not even close- lmao.

EDIT: Just noticed the reply ^^. isnt monitoring the same as cuing or am i missing something?
    2) since i dont own any audio that is surround sound- its safe to say i wont need more than 2?

Monitors are basicly a repeat output of what the crowd hears - basicly the same audio thats comming out of the clubs speakers will come out of the monitors.

Tech Wizard

so how do monitors differ from cue? like i always thought it worked like this:

master output = speakers (out 1/2)
    monitor (cue) output = headphones (out 3/4)

in one ear of headphone DJ hears deck A, other hear he hears deck B.

whats wrong with this picture? i have no idea where i got screwed up.

Monitors are there so you can hear what the crowd hears - they are installed into clubs where you dont get a very accurate sound of what the floor is hearing from standing in the dj booth.

Between sound reverberation in the club and the time it takes for the sound to reach your ears(in big clubs) you dont get a very great sound. Ontop of that, if your beatmatching to the delayed sound that you hear from the dj booth your mixing will be slightly out of time because of the delay that is caused by the time it takes for the sound to reach your ears. Monitors are installed as to get rid of this delay and so that you get a pretty good picture of what sound is on the dancefloor.

Immagine trying to beatmatch to a delayed signal - its impossible ! Thats where monitors step in.

Tech Wizard

oh! i think i get it. so its basically like this:

output 1/2: master speakers
    output 3/4: monitors (another set of speakers facing DJ in the booth)
    output 5/6: headphones (for cuing songs)

is this how the setup works?
    that way a DJ has their own set of "local, external speakers" so they don't have to deal with the delay or is their another solution to it?

Yeah thats right.. but if you dont plan on playing in any huge clubs anytime you wont need monitors

Tech Wizard

i hate to drag this on but... what would you say about DJing in a large school gym? (basketball court size) monitors or none?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast