How should I start out?
    Tech Student

Default How should I start out?

Hey, i basically have always been into electro, Trance, Techno and 90's House music, I have always wanted to produce Music so I took up Guitar and spent a couple years on that, im not from a rich family so i got what I could, once i hit 17 witch i am now, i started raising some money for this hobby I bought a mixer, laptop, and midi controller and trying to save up for mabe Cubase 5 or Ableton 8 i have Fl studio but its a demo I wanna make this a big hobby, id like to pursue a career in Radio, but on the side be a Electro Producer, I always run to music as a mood lifter and much more, im a Introverted person so i spend alot of time to myself, I am also straight edge, so partying isnt my thing but producing the music at the party I dont mind, ive done it once and found it fun, I wear a mask, yea yea i know Deadmau5, Bloody beetroots, Daft punk, Mstrkrft allwear a mask, but i dont wear it to look cool, I wear it to feel comfortable so no one knows who i am and so i can focus more on the music, its a fixed motorcycle helmet with a few stuff i added like color and stuff, but time for the real question! what should I do to really give my career a kickstart, or my hobbie!?

I've found that the best way to start is simply dive right in. I'd start with getting like the free Traktor or Itch and then just start mixing two tracks together. After you play around with the mixing of two tracks and get the basics down i'd move into the production side.

Pursuing a carrer in this is later down the road. First learn the ropes, understand your equipment, understand your technology, and learn it. Learn it to the best of your ability. There have been a lot of articles I have read on the subject saying the same thing. Do it for the fun of it, if you can make a career out of it thats awesome, but if not make sure you keep your day job.

Essentially what I am saying is for right now is take songs you think would sound good together and start trying to mix it. Just see where it goes from there. Different opportunities knock at your door, and different people learn at different rates. Start with the basics and as you understand them, keep on improving upon them.

Anyway, welcome to the forums! I hope I was able to help a bit!

Tech Student

Default Wearing a mask well on stage? what do you think?

I wear a Custom made mask that i made, and it looks really good alot of my friends like it and when i go on stage people say to me after the show that its the new dj mask, I have no intentions for it to be a cool thing, I always wear it actually when i finish a show i wear it, im very introverted so i dont like people talking to me much, im very to myself, and Im creative like that, Im not trying to be Daft punk, Deadmau5 or Bloody beetroots, even though they are all inspiration, i wear the mask for many reasons. but id like youre perspective on it. I dont mind what you think if its stupid or inmature its all good.

wearing a mask isn't a bad thing. and it isn't anything to be self conscious about either, most people here won't judge you for doing something. I personally like the idea of a mask. A) It helps you keep that level of comfort B) After you take it off not many people are going to realize it was you they were just jamming to so they won't hound you. C) It helps build an image. The last point is the most important i think if you are planning on pursuing this down the road. Josh@firestorm has compiled a great number of links that can help you get an idea about what i'm talking about.

http://www.djtechtools.com/forum/showthread.php?t=24581

All in all, have fun with it to start, practice with your faves a lot, and when you have those start branching out, take time to listen to lots of different music, because it will help inspire you.

Have fun and welcome dude.
    VCI-100 SE Arcade - Hp Win 7 2.4 ghz 4 gig ram - Traktor Pro - Presonus Firebox