UK Based and Want to Build a New Controller

Default UK Based and Want to Build a New Controller

I have zero experience in modding any of this stuff. Just thought I'd get that out of the way straight off!

However, I've got a pretty nifty idea and would like to try and build something myself as it'll be unique and give me something to do!

I like the look of the MidiFighter, but from the UK it's pretty pricey to buy due to the delivery costs, which obviously can't be avoided. I had a scan around and reckon I can build something pretty nifty for the same-ish price.

My idea is to build a MidiFighter-esque device but with additionals panels on either side of the buttons. I would like one side to have parameter knobs, similar to the Akai LDP8 and the other side to try and do some kind of Kaoss pad mod/thing.

I was thinking this would allow full control of cues and effects via buttons, and then able to tweak parameters via the knobs or the Kaoss pad on the fly to give an almost endless and limitless abuse to the effects.

So, it would be similar to a MidiFighter (or almost identical in part), but longer with an additional panel each side, one for a Kaoss pad and one for filter/parameter knobs.

How difficult would something like that be to build? I read somewhere about being able to use a DS screen mod for the Kaoss pad (and I have a DS I'd happily pull apart) and I assume the other parts will all be pretty cheap.
    Ableton 9.7.5, Native Instruments Komplete Ultimate 11, MOTU 828 Mk2, Nektar Impact LX61+, Ableton Push, Native Instruments Kore 2, and a random selection of soft synths and sample libraries.
    Windows 10 Pro 64 bit with Core i7 4960X Extreme Edition 12 core CPU, 64GB RAM, SanDisk Ultra Extreme SSDs and a GeForce GTX 970 G1 Gaming GPU.

Would be quite wary of doing this with no experience, the midifighter has extra inputs for digital and analogue signals, are you sure you don't want to just mod one?

If you do go ahead, good luck!
    TSP 2 | Serato DJ | Live 8 | MBP (SSD + HDD) | AIAIA TMA-1 Fool's Gold Edition | 1200 Mk2s | MidiFighter | KRK RP5
    Xone: DB4 | Pioneer CDJ-2000 Nexus
    DJTT FAQ | Read my guide to AUDIO CABLES

DJTT Infectious Moderator photojojo's Avatar

Pretty sure it would cost more doing it all yourself especially if you figure in your time, but you would get the satisfaction of doing it yourself. If you're not after that bit of personnel accomplishment just mod one.
    Chris Jennings FHP

Podcast - Soundcloud - Mixcloud - Beatport Charts - x

i started building one and never finished forgot about it and went a bought a midi fighter so i have it half built sat in my front room now gonna try and finish it and sell it for a small price
    Here's Where I Put My Stuff Remix's/Mix's/and............. Genrally Madness

Sound Cloud :: http://soundcloud.com/herbstrike
    FaceBook :: http://www.facebook.com/pages/HerbSt...2547446?ref=ts

Tech Wizard

How far did you get?
    I have just starded building a custom controller,
    I can take the parts off your hands if you want to offload for a price?
    Desktop | QuadCore| 4gb | 1TB Samsung
    TSP | DDM4000 | Stanton T80s | Radius 2000s

I got a faceplate cut etc just have not had time to solder all the wires i might sell it to a good home what you working on?
    Here's Where I Put My Stuff Remix's/Mix's/and............. Genrally Madness

Sound Cloud :: http://soundcloud.com/herbstrike
    FaceBook :: http://www.facebook.com/pages/HerbSt...2547446?ref=ts

Tech Wizard

I have cut the face plate and have a handfull of arcade buttons and pots...
    Im in the middle of wiring it now, but im using a HID board.

I was thinking that if im doing all this work i might as well use a Arduino Board!?

Nevermind
    Desktop | QuadCore| 4gb | 1TB Samsung
    TSP | DDM4000 | Stanton T80s | Radius 2000s