TP2 Sample Decks and "Multiple decks can now use the same CD or turntable input"
    Tech Mentor

Default TP2 Sample Decks and "Multiple decks can now use the same CD or turntable input"

If someone have more information about this, It would be very helpful!

I hate 4 channel mixers ((these 4 channel mixers are bulky, ugly and not convenient for plain beatjuggling) and love my slim PMC 06 with an Innofader, however, I only have 2 channels I/O with an Audio 4 and TSP.

I am using two turntables which is perfect in 2 decks mode. I also have A VCI-100 that I sadly only use for effects with the great 3.6 Dj TT mapping (Fader FX mode is great). Nonetheless, because I am using external mode, I never had the chance to fully use 4 decks mode (2 turntables and 2 on VCI), it is either VCI or turntables not both together. My dream would be Deck A and B for turntables, C and D for VCI.

I also have a Midifighter used for effects and cue point juggling for deck A and B. I am also using Maschine in sync or standalone to drop beats and samples (problem: sound is routing to channel 1 of my mixer so I use the volume on maschine to match the volume of TSP, not very practical!).

I would love to find a way to coordinate all my favorite toys within TSP2, turntables and VCI for the 4 decks, Midifighter and Maschine for sample decks.

If someone has a similar setup, I would really appreciate your advice to optimize this configuration. Please do not tell me I need and Audio 10 and a 4 channel mixer!

Thank you very much!

Quote Originally Posted by erpi View Post
    If someone have more information about this, It would be very helpful!

I hate 4 channel mixers ((these 4 channel mixers are bulky, ugly and not convenient for plain beatjuggling) and love my slim PMC 06 with an Innofader, however, I only have 2 channels I/O with an Audio 4 and TSP.

I am using two turntables which is perfect in 2 decks mode. I also have A VCI-100 that I sadly only use for effects with the great 3.6 Dj TT mapping (Fader FX mode is great). Nonetheless, because I am using external mode, I never had the chance to fully use 4 decks mode (2 turntables and 2 on VCI), it is either VCI or turntables not both together. My dream would be Deck A and B for turntables, C and D for VCI.

I also have a Midifighter used for effects and cue point juggling for deck A and B. I am also using Maschine in sync or standalone to drop beats and samples (problem: sound is routing to channel 1 of my mixer so I use the volume on maschine to match the volume of TSP, not very practical!).

I would love to find a way to coordinate all my favorite toys within TSP2, turntables and VCI for the 4 decks, Midifighter and Maschine for sample decks.

If someone has a similar setup, I would really appreciate your advice to optimize this configuration. Please do not tell me I need and Audio 10 and a 4 channel mixer!

Thank you very much!
    I think you may have misinterpreted what they meant by having four decks and two sample decks. Technically you have four decks available, but you have to sacrifice a standard deck for a sample deck (meaning you can have 1 track deck and 3 sample decks; 2 tracks and 2 sample decks; 4 track decks; 3 track decks and 1 sample deck; or four sample decks).

essentially you can still have all of them routed, probably just not in the way you are thinking. I would say you have the table for scratching, the vci for effects/cue juggling/sampling, the midifighter (with the new amazingly beautiful set up for mass effect mayhem), and if you had the audio ten, you could set the maschine as stand alone with the midi in...... But i think you will still need a four channel mixer to do that..... as in two channels for decks, one for sampling, and one for maschine.

though, with the multi through capability, you could potentially run two decks and two samplers through one side, and maschine through the other.... and map the vci crossfader to act as your deck fader for your tables?
    VCI-100 SE Arcade - Hp Win 7 2.4 ghz 4 gig ram - Traktor Pro - Presonus Firebox

Tech Mentor

Very interesting - many thanks for your quick response.

Your idea on the multi through capability is really appealing but I do not want to use the VCI crossfader for my tables, I love scratching and even with a PXF in it, nothing beats my 06 with an Innofader.

My goal is to run 2 turntables as a classic scratch - beatjuggling setup and in addition be able to use Maschine for the 2 sample decks, VCI and MF for effects and cuepoints. The best would be to be able to use the line faders of the VCI as 2 other channels but again we cannot have internal and external modes together. If I understand well, using 2 turntables with an external mixer in external mode and 2 virtual decks with the VCI in internal mode for deck C and D is still not possible.

I don't mind to use the 2 sample decks on top of classic deck A and B so it can run with an Audio 4 and a 2 channel mixer if I understand well the multithrough capability.

Maschine could be the perfect controller for the sample decks, pads for triggering samples and the top 8 knobs for controls over samples. We do not have a lot of information about the "tighter integration" - it could be interesting to know more about it.

My dream is an Ableton/Traktor bridge, but unfortunately it is just a dream...

Very interesting - many thanks for your quick response.

Your idea on the multi through capability is really appealing but I do not want to use the VCI crossfader for my tables, I love scratching and even with a PXF in it, nothing beats my 06 with an Innofader.

My goal is to run 2 turntables as a classic scratch - beatjuggling setup and in addition be able to use Maschine for the 2 sample decks, VCI and MF for effects and cuepoints. The best would be to be able to use the line faders of the VCI as 2 other channels but again we cannot have internal and external modes together. If I understand well, using 2 turntables with an external mixer in external mode and 2 virtual decks with the VCI in internal mode for deck C and D is still not possible.

I don't mind to use the 2 sample decks on top of classic deck A and B so it can run with an Audio 4 and a 2 channel mixer if I understand well the multithrough capability.

Maschine could be the perfect controller for the sample decks, pads for triggering samples and the top 8 knobs for controls over samples. We do not have a lot of information about the "tighter integration" - it could be interesting to know more about it.

My dream is an Ableton/Traktor bridge, but unfortunately it is just a dream...
    I thought Ean did an article about using traktor and ableton.....
    http://www.djtechtools.com/2008/04/0...-with-ableton/
    http://www.djtechtools.com/2009/06/0...ned/#more-1415
    http://www.djtechtools.com/2009/06/1...ive/#more-1423

from what i could find.

i just had an idea about routing the sample decks through the deck that you weren't sampling on, but i guess that doesn't quite work if you are juggling, unless you just turn off the samples while you were doing so.

or is there any way to keep the sample channels separate but open?

Tech Mentor

I may assign sample decks C and D to channel A and B with the multithrough capability - what do you think?

So I can trigger the samples with Maschine used as a midi controller and Map the knobs functions to it - but I cannot scratch the samples - right?

How would you be able to scartch on the 2 sample decks and keep the ability to also scratch on classic deck A and B?

For Ableton/Traktor , thanks for the posts! I am an avid reader of DJTT but the main problem is you cannot scratch in Traktor and route this to ableton to use the looper, record or use VST's because you have to use Soundflower which disables the Traktor scratch functionality which only works with an NI sound card.

Thanks again for your help!

I may assign sample decks C and D to channel A and B with the multithrough capability - what do you think?

So I can trigger the samples with Maschine used as a midi controller and Map the knobs functions to it - but I cannot scratch the samples - right?

How would you be able to scartch on the 2 sample decks and keep the ability to also scratch on classic deck A and B?

For Ableton/Traktor , thanks for the posts! I am an avid reader of DJTT but the main problem is you cannot scratch in Traktor and route this to ableton to use the looper, record or use VST's because you have to use Soundflower which disables the Traktor scratch functionality which only works with an NI sound card.

Thanks again for your help!
    Something leads me to believe that since you aren't using the tables as an input for the samples, that the scratching wouldn't affect the way they play actually...... i mean the sound is being routed through them, but the tables wouldn't be acting as an input device. so it just may be ok.

That's cool that you knew about those, i just thought they may have yielded some new information that i didn't quite know about :S

Tech Mentor

Thanks Halukar!

My main concern is how to scratch on 2 sample decks and 2 classic decks.

example: I have 2 beats on deck A and B in classic mode doing some beatjuggling with the turntables - then, I want to start a sample on top of A or B with my sample deck C and scratch on this Deck C- possible or not.

I obviously have some problems to understand the sample decks functionality because it was only used with the S4 and never with real turntables. I cannot imagine scratching on these jog wheeels, even if they are great - I love vinyl!

Thanks Halukar!

My main concern is how to scratch on 2 sample decks and 2 classic decks.

example: I have 2 beats on deck A and B in classic mode doing some beatjuggling with the turntables - then, I want to start a sample on top of A or B with my sample deck C and scratch on this Deck C- possible or not.

I obviously have some problems to understand the sample decks functionality because it was only used with the S4 and never with real turntables. I cannot imagine scratching on these jog wheeels, even if they are great - I love vinyl!
    no problem dude, i do what i can..... though trying to do both eludes me. sorry!

Tech Mentor

The idea is to beatjuggle with the same instrumental on deck A and B, then let beat A play for example and use sample deck C to scratch on top of beat A, and then come back to beatuggle with A and B. Very simple like rafik said after a fast autobahn!

The idea is to beatjuggle with the same instrumental on deck A and B, then let beat A play for example and use sample deck C to scratch on top of beat A, and then come back to beatuggle with A and B. Very simple like rafik said after a fast autobahn!
    dont quote me but it think you'd be better off as having the samples in a regular deck than a sample deck as im pretty sure the sample decks are only fired by the deck triggers and not by DVS manipulation.

best thing to do is make longer mp3's out of several samples and then import those files into traktor and make each sample in the file a cue point so you can jump to a section quick enough and scratch from there.