Low Cost, High Performance, Traktor Stable HP Laptop
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Low Cost, High Performance, Traktor Stable HP Laptop

Hey guys, just wanted to share an awesome setup I just stumbled onto.

First I bought an HP ProBook 4320s, with the i5 450m proc, and 4 gigs of ram, and a 500 gb hdd.

It has 4 usb, HDMI, eSATA, no firewire...

I picked it up for $500 new in box from an ebay store, and if I knew then what I know now I would have gotten the least expensive build with the Celeron, and small hard drive.

For $130 I bought the fastest processor you can get this model with (Core i7 620M). The laptop is a breeze to disassemble, and I replaced the processor. Then I bought two 4gb ddr3 sodimm's for $80 on ebay. And the new Samsung SSD with TRIM support, 120gb for $150.

So now I have a Core i7, 8GB DDR 3, 120GB high performance SSD all for $860, and I could have gotten the $420 flavor of the laptop and done it for $780.

If you can find a laptop out there with those specs for $800 please, let me in.

And the reason I invested in all these upgrades, is it is the most stable PC laptop I have ever owned with Traktor. And I have gone though A LOT. I bought this one as an upgrade to my ProBook 5310m (it was also remarkably stable with Traktor) just for the new i-processor.

What I mean by stable...

41000hz at 1.5ms latency (not a measure of actually total system latency, just the setting in the audio 8 dj control panel)

96000hz at 2ms latency!
    (don't even use it here, but I did a couple gigs and pretty close to 20 hours of testing to finally decide I really couldn't tell the difference with my mp3's)

This is all with the 2.0.15 Audio 8 Driver, not the newest one that breaks stuff.

I also use a Kontrol X1, and am about to add two DN-SC2000's, and the USB's hubs have been up to snuff.

Not to be a flame war started....

But an equivalent MacBook Pro, with that i7, 8GB of ram, and a 120GB SSD is like $2600!

Thats over 3 times the price!!!!

You cant honestly sit here and tell me thats you get 300% more performance for that dollar.
    Last edited by exokinetic; 02-13-2011 at 02:54 AM.
    I'm addicted to WoW.

Please do not bother me about being a productive member of society.

Nice one dude
    Acer E5 i7 16GB 512SSD 2TBHD ~ WIN 10 ~ TSP 2.11 ~ AUDIO 6 ~ DUAL X1s ~ DN-X1600 ~ SPECTRA ~ TWISTER ~ ATH-PRO500 MK2 ~ ZED6FX ~ AT2020

" I’m the Dude, so that’s what you call me. That or, uh His Dudeness, or uh Duder, or El Duderino, if you’re not into the whole brevity thing. "

Tech Wizard

Wow nice. Even though at the 500 point you were still pretty good but not a bad upgrade def!

do the celeron mobile and i7 620m share the same socket size do they?

Nice mate, thats something to think about for all the MBP advocates.
    2013 MBPr 13" | X1 mk2 | TSP 2 | A6 | DJM 900 nexus | HD 25 UBER Aluminum's | Technics sl1210 mk2's | Logic Pro 9

Tech Mentor

Quote Originally Posted by josh@firestorm View Post
    do the celeron mobile and i7 620m share the same socket size do they?
    I doubt it...the i7 is 4 cores....but dont quote me on that

And nice review...I should do something like this with my hp..but idk if i trust my soundcard that much lol
    Equipment------
    --HP Dv6T Select Editon. i5 6gb DDR3, backlit keys and touchscreen.

Quote Originally Posted by exokinetic View Post
    Hey guys, just wanted to share an awesome setup I just stumbled onto.

First I bought an HP ProBook 4320s, with the i5 450m proc, and 4 gigs of ram, and a 500 gb hdd.

It has 4 usb, HDMI, eSATA, no firewire...

I picked it up for $500 new in box from an ebay store, and if I knew then what I know now I would have gotten the least expensive build with the Celeron, and small hard drive.

For $130 I bought the fastest processor you can get this model with (Core i7 620M). The laptop is a breeze to disassemble, and I replaced the processor. Then I bought two 4gb ddr3 sodimm's for $80 on ebay. And the new Samsung SSD with TRIM support, 120gb for $150.

So now I have a Core i7, 8GB DDR 3, 120GB high performance SSD all for $860, and I could have gotten the $420 flavor of the laptop and done it for $780.

If you can find a laptop out there with those specs for $800 please, let me in.

And the reason I invested in all these upgrades, is it is the most stable PC laptop I have ever owned with Traktor. And I have gone though A LOT. I bought this one as an upgrade to my ProBook 5310m (it was also remarkably stable with Traktor) just for the new i-processor.

What I mean by stable...

41000hz at 1.5ms latency (not a measure of actually total system latency, just the setting in the audio 8 dj control panel)

96000hz at 2ms latency!
    (don't even use it here, but I did a couple gigs and pretty close to 20 hours of testing to finally decide I really couldn't tell the difference with my mp3's)

This is all with the 2.0.15 Audio 8 Driver, not the newest one that breaks stuff.

I also use a Kontrol X1, and am about to add two DN-SC2000's, and the USB's hubs have been up to snuff.

Not to be a flame war started....

But an equivalent MacBook Pro, with that i7, 8GB of ram, and a 120GB SSD is like $2600!

Thats over 3 times the price!!!!

You cant honestly sit here and tell me thats you get 300% more performance for that dollar.
    thats quite rad dude, i thought i had it pretty good with my hp dv9000 that i got on the equivalent of craig's list here in canada lol. I've always been a little skeptic with trying to open up my laptop and messing around with the insides......

do you have online resources or are you actually a trained tech?
    VCI-100 SE Arcade - Hp Win 7 2.4 ghz 4 gig ram - Traktor Pro - Presonus Firebox

Tech Wizard

I'm getting very stable performance out of a gateway craptop with 2gb ram (maxed out), a dual 1.4 ghz processor, a 5400 rpm hdd and vista sp2. I have to stop some bad drivers from running to get it stable in traktor but that's about it. Just more evidence that spending g's on a macbook is wholly unnecessary.... but if you're a tech savvy person you already knew that. Why pay more for the same hardware?
    Wanted: Traktor Kontrol Z2

Current: Traktor Scratch Pro 2, Numark 5000 FX, Technics 1200 M3D, Technics 1200 MK2, Traktor Kontrol X1, Peavey XR 684, (2) MTX TP1200, Sony MDR-V700

Quote Originally Posted by exokinetic View Post
    Nice find but good luck with that. I say so because LED feedback on the Denons cause all kinds of crackle/pops on Windows systems, especially when changing FX. Actually too much LED feedback/MIDI data sent to devices causes all sorts of problems on Windows.

as a mac fanboy i agree 1stly you got a top deal, and yes maybe the equivalent mac isnt 300% better , but i run a macbook 13" 2009 i picked up new for £599 and with a £50 ram upgrade its got 4gb, i think thats better value for money , its just the reliability of the system , i was constantly scared playing out on a windows pc
    http://soundcloud.com/formido/
    http://www.beatport.com/artist/formido/291967
    Macbook pro 13" 2010 , Traktor Scratch Pro 2 ,Audio 8, Kontrol X1, CDJ 800's, Arcade Mod Technics 1200, Ecler nuo 5 mixer, Kaoss pad

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast