buying turntables online?
    Tech Wizard

Default buying turntables online?

hey guys
    i was just wondering if anybody bought turntables online Via eBay or any online site. anybody have any problems with shipping or seller not packing them right?

and advice when buying turntables online?

thanks

Hmm, it's definately a risk. Controllers I would buy online, but turntables are delicate. If the previous owner didn't know what he was doing and f*cked up the tonearm or the bearings, you have a turntable that is ready for the trash. And there is no way to see on the outside if something is wrong with it.
    Check out my work!

Vestax VCM-600 (for sale!) - Allen & Heath Xone:62 - Focusrite Saffire LE - Ultimate Ears Triple.Fi 10 Pro - Traktor Pro 2.1 - Ableton Live 8 - MacBook Pro 15"

try local first like Craigs List and classified ads. Maybe posting a Want to buy X can help too. If online is the only option then ask for shipping insurance. Also there are certain items on Ebay that can get a warranty with squaretrade, iirc, 2 years item new, 1 year used.
    Erase. Stop. Start.

Tech Mentor

CL >>>>> Ebay in this case.

Tech Wizard

well the person i'm looking to buy has a store on eBay and a very good customer rating. and i know there is risk in shipping turntables and do you guys know if there is a proper way they should ship the turntables?

Are the TTs new or used?

I've bought used 1210s from ebay before but I've always made sure it's local and give them a very thorough inspection before handing over the cash. You really need to know what to look for when buying used.

Hey OP,

In the last couple weeks I purchased a pair of cdj800mkII and they where packed bad and one arrived broke. My first time doing this, I'll be weary the next time. I am referring to Ebay.

Especially if they just offer regular shipping only.

Tech Wizard

Quote Originally Posted by Addicted2Bass View Post
    Are the TTs new or used?

I've bought used 1210s from ebay before but I've always made sure it's local and give them a very thorough inspection before handing over the cash. You really need to know what to look for when buying used.
    they are new turntables

Tech Convert

To share my online turntable purchase, I bought 2 1200s through ebay (separate sellers) and they both arrived in completely different packing situations.

One was from a private seller and had the most insanely immaculate packaging job I've ever seen. They guy carved out each layer of foam he used to perfect fit, and even included a magic eraser and goo gone to help get the taped on foam off the arm. It was impressive.

The other 1200 arrived in a single box with one layer of bubble wrap thrown around it and nothing else. This one came from some sort of music shop selling some of it's stuff on ebay.

Both turntables work fine, but I can tell the first one was better taken care of throughout its life.

I guess it's just going to be luck when using ebay. Just make sure it's insured. If there's an issue with the product when you get it, communicate with the seller right away to arrange a solution. If you can't get cooperation from them, ebay and paypal have some measures to ensure a resolution is reached.

Quote Originally Posted by DMurd View Post
    they are new turntables
    Buying new is definitely better. The original manufacturers packaging is designed to withstand shipping so there's no need to worry about damage unless you have a very clumsy courier... I would suggest buying from a reputable retailer in your own country. That way you have a full warranty and if it's damaged during shipping then they will replace it.

Buying from ebay can be cheaper but you may loose out on any warranty, especially if it's a private seller or non authorized retailer. However, there are a few genuine sellers on there who are authorized retailers. Just make sure you do your research. Check out their feedback as a seller and pray they use a good courier company.