EQ's?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: EQ's?

Tech Convert

Default EQ's?

Hey guys. SO I got the vestax VCI-100. And what exactly do the EQ's due? Low? Mid? high? And when I put low already to the left, it says low kill on traktor. What does that mean? And how come some effects don't really work, or like doesn't seem like a difference. Like Filter T2.

And can someone give me an example on what you would do with EQ's. Like how would you use it to mix with another song?
    Thanks.

I recommend this book .

But basically eqs give you more control over the individual tracks when mixing . But I would recommend ignoring them for a while until your skill level is a little higher .
    Last edited by darrel855; 12-29-2008 at 05:52 PM.

This might not be completely accurate

Eq's (aka Equalizer) allows you to control various frequencies of a song. From what i know low eq is normal 300hz -0hz Mids 300 - (to i think 5000hz) and then high is from 5000-16000hz (Humans cant normally hear frequencies above 16k hz). Have you ever used Windows Media Player? or any other audio players? Normaly they have settings on there for genres such as rock, pop, jazz ect... Those settings are to bring out the frequencies in each of those genres.

The low kill button on traktor is just an different way of killing the low eq (rather then turning the knob all the way to the left). Traktor has various EQs

What can you do with an eq? Simplest thing i can think of is cut the lows in song a.... and then cut EVERYTHING BUT the lows in song b and let them play. Considering that you beat matched them youll now have the beat of song b going over song a.
    Dj Krilikz‡ -

Tech Convert

Quote Originally Posted by darrel855 View Post
    I recommend this book .

But basically eqs give you more control over the individual tracks when mixing . But I would recommend ignoring them for a while until your skill level is a little higher .
    So exactly what else would I use to mix? I thought the EQ's are a big part. lol......

Retired DJTT Moderator DvlsAdvct's Avatar

You use the volume and crossfader. Trust me, pick up a book like what darrel recommended so you can get a good explanation of how all this stuff works.
    It's the FAQ. Read it.

My Mixes, Mashups and Rants

Divided we stand
    United we fall

Tech Convert

Yeah, but isn't that for vinyl DJing? Or would it apply for CD djing too?

Quote Originally Posted by DJNeon View Post
    So exactly what else would I use to mix? I thought the EQ's are a big part. lol......
    try for a while with just the volume faders, it's a good idea to learn how to mix without eqs as it teaches you to fine tune your beat matching and song selection. in the good old days mixers didn't even have individual channel eqs.
    Last edited by charo; 12-29-2008 at 06:13 PM.

Tech Convert

Quote Originally Posted by charo View Post
    try for a while with just the volume faders, it's a good idea to learn how to mix without eqs as it teaches you to fine tune your beat matching and song selection. in the good old days mixers didn't even have individual channel eqs.
    Ah, I see. So pretty much like you would lower the volume in a certain part of the song, then you would up the volume on the other side, etc?

Quote Originally Posted by DJNeon View Post
    Yeah, but isn't that for vinyl DJing? Or would it apply for CD djing too?
    It's all relevant to DJing period . But that book is loaded with info that is essential for every DJ no matter what you use .

Tech Convert

Okay, cool, thanks.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast