Intro, and some equipment questions
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Tech Convert

Default Intro, and some equipment questions (cut down edit)

Hi all!
    So, I'm Robin and I just got into DJing about a months ago. Currently, I use a Mac with the DJay software by Algoriddim in combination with a Vestax Spin as my Midi controller. DJay works really well for me as a blind user - I've also tried Tracktor Pro, but unfortunatelly that is totally inaccessible and won't even provide me with basic info on a track.
    So, 2 days ago I actually had my first DJing performance at a home party and was actually quite surprised by the reaction to the music from the people and the positive feedback I received in the end (well, some of the crossfades weren't as perfect I admit, but seems like no-one actually noticed that). Overall, this therefore was a great and encouraging experience for me!
    So, I'm now looking to start using some more professional equipment. I would definitely like to buy a better Midi interface with more mappable buttons - in fact I'd like a device that's both Midi interface and CD turntable / mixer all-in-one. For me, it would be awesome if there were no menus on the actual device, I'd rather have certain buttons I could use to alternate between things like CD and Midi controller mode. Does anyone have any suggestions for me? Also, can someone suggest some good, high-quality DJing headphones?
    Thanks for any help and replies!!!
    Cheers,
    Robin.
    Last edited by robin_k; 02-14-2011 at 06:37 PM. Reason: Cut down version of the original post!

Tech Mentor

uh, too many words -

much better
    Last edited by LaOnda; 02-14-2011 at 08:22 PM.

Where do I start to read this wall?
    /人◕‿‿◕人\
    --Its not the OS, It's the user--

Tech Convert

Alright, I've just finished a massive cut down of this whole thing, sorry if that was a bit too much! Hehe
    Last edited by robin_k; 02-14-2011 at 06:40 PM.

will do.
    /人◕‿‿◕人\

You lost me at Tracktor....

maybe that's why NI weren't so friendly towards you
    Ableton 9.7.5, Native Instruments Komplete Ultimate 11, MOTU 828 Mk2, Nektar Impact LX61+, Ableton Push, Native Instruments Kore 2, and a random selection of soft synths and sample libraries.
    Windows 10 Pro 64 bit with Core i7 4960X Extreme Edition 12 core CPU, 64GB RAM, SanDisk Ultra Extreme SSDs and a GeForce GTX 970 G1 Gaming GPU.

Hi!

I read through your post. A guy in a similar situation had this exact question some months ago on the Native Instruments website. A nice guy here on the forum relayed the question here and he got some pretty good responsed:

http://www.djtechtools.com/forum/sho...ighlight=blind

Traktor is good but is heavily menu based - Even though I personally dont like Serato itch, it does have a 1 to 1 relationship with supported controllers (like the V.C.I 300).

But others suggested in the thread, that you might get a better experience from DJing the "old fashioned way". As you are blind, your touch and hearing senses are marginally improved (as it is in most cases). So with the regular way of Djing with CD platters or turntables, you would have to feel the music - and with an effects unit like the Pioneer EFX, you would have all the stuff needed to play your music and mash it up with effects - without having to worry about where you are located in your software. Think if you had the wrong settings on your latency and you would start getting audio dropouts mid set = disaster. an analog setup would be simple and reliable.

You should read the Native instruments thread and the DJ techtools thread that i linked before you go ahead and make a choice :-)

Good luck!

I'd scrap the Traktor/DJay method and learn my trade by going for a pair of Pioneer CDJ400 and a MIDI mixer (Pioneer if you can afford one). Use the traditional setup in the short term to actually learn what DJing is all about, with the entire setup having MIDI capability allowing for connection to a software-based system in the future if you wish.

The Pioneers are expensive, but by far the best if you can afford them. Also, for a "button-press-based system", the CDJ400s and a good mixer will be about as easy as you'll get I'd say.
    Ableton 9.7.5, Native Instruments Komplete Ultimate 11, MOTU 828 Mk2, Nektar Impact LX61+, Ableton Push, Native Instruments Kore 2, and a random selection of soft synths and sample libraries.
    Windows 10 Pro 64 bit with Core i7 4960X Extreme Edition 12 core CPU, 64GB RAM, SanDisk Ultra Extreme SSDs and a GeForce GTX 970 G1 Gaming GPU.

Quote Originally Posted by Bunford View Post
    I'd scrap the Traktor/DJay method and learn my trade by going for a pair of Pioneer CDJ400 and a MIDI mixer (Pioneer if you can afford one). Use the traditional setup in the short term to actually learn what DJing is all about, with the entire setup having MIDI capability allowing for connection to a software-based system in the future if you wish.

The Pioneers are expensive, but by far the best if you can afford them. Also, for a "button-press-based system", the CDJ400s and a good mixer will be about as easy as you'll get I'd say.
    and if you cant afford that look into a couple ndx800 and a ddm4000 mixer if 4 channels are needed. got to try out the mixer and its really nice, though sadly its the only mixer berhinger put out that seems to work for a long time
    /人◕‿‿◕人\

I used to have the DDM4000. Used it as a MIDI controller for Traktor and as a MIDI controller is was alright, nothing special.

It worked fine for the 9 or so months I had it. Only problem I found was that when I tried to hook it up into a live club system, at the high volume there was a unwanted hum that was coming from the DDM4000. As a MIDI controller, this ain't a problem though so was fine for that, though the square buttons felt really plasticy and cheap.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast