Help a New DJ learn
    Tech Student

Default Help a New DJ learn

OK guys, I am very new to the world of DJing, I have been interested in DJing and producing for a while now and have had some experience at house parties with my mates setup. Recently I bought a DDM4000. After quite a while of research it seemed like the best choice; It's digital, 4 channel, has a sample bank and effects. Not to mention the outrageously low price! As soon as I got the thing home, I plugged it in to my MacBook and booted up Traktor. I figured out how to map it, and have been using it without CD players for about a week. One thing I have noticed is that the effect, gain and some of the other controls are not able to be mapped (due to them being analogue). So I was wondering, how does one use the DDM as it was intended, like having full use of all the knobs and features, but still using my computer to load up the tracks, display the information, etc. I was thinking of buying second hand CDJ 850s to go with it. What program would be ideal for this use and what other hardware would I need to have the setup I desire?

Sorry if there is already an existing thread, I only did a quick search before posting this.

Tech Mentor

You will need a soundcard (Audio 4, Audio 8 or in April the Audio 10) and then run Traktor in external mode. That way traktor will output track A to channel 1, track B to channel 2 etc. That way you can use the DDMs internal effects while still using traktor for your tracks. Personally I would use the sampler in midi mode and use the buttons to control Traktor but that is up to you, you can still use it for its traditional use if you set up Traktor in this way

Tech Guru

Hi Schroeder and welcome to the forum!

I wouldn't buy a CDJ just for traktor control (been there with CDJ-400s, no point at all).

you could add additional controllers. I personally like the Reloop Contours - there are two editions - with a built-in 4 channel audio interface and also one without the audio interface:

http://www.decks.co.uk/products/relo...erface_Edition - for this, you won't need any other Audio devices - just plug the 4 outs to the DDM and play.
    http://www.decks.co.uk/products/relo...roller_Edition - it could be used with either NI Audio 4/6/8/10 or as a second controller, if you take the Interface edition as first.

NI's own X1 is great too:
    http://www.decks.co.uk/products/nati...tor_Kontrol_X1

You could also look at the Denon's SC-2000 - I like more the Reloop Contour, but this is an alternative:
    http://www.decks.co.uk/products/denon/DNSC2000

Tech Student

Hey guys, thanks for your feedback. I don't just want the CDJs for Traktor control, I would also DJ without my computer. So you say I just have to run Traktor in external mode and it will run my mixer the way it would run without the computer? Is that where you select how many decks you want and it says '2D ext.' and '4D ext.'?

Tech Guru

'2D ext.' and '4D ext.' controls the screen layout only.

It's the output routing in the Configuration menut, which sets the internal vs. external mode and also the exact output channel assignments.

Tech Student

Ok, thanks for that, so I should save up and buy the soundcard next? Are the NI ones the best for what I need?
    Last edited by Schroeder; 02-15-2011 at 05:10 AM.

Tech Guru

yes, the Native Instruments are the best for Traktor, and the only one which will work for Time Code control, which you'll probably want if you go the CDJ path. CDJ-850 also has HID control but I cannot say that it'd be equally good as the timecode control

get an Audio 8 DJ or wait for the new Audio 10 DJ to come out in April

Tech Student

Alright, thank you guys so much. Also, just out of interest. Is the set up I'm planning good? Like, is it worth working at a fast food store for the next while to get?

Tech Guru

this is very subjective to be said, but since you ask:

Honestly, I don't it's a right setup for 2011. Let me give you some background, so you can understand why I'm saying it.

I was Djing commercially between 1996-7 and 2000. in 1998 I started CS education and shortly after that I had to shift my life away from the club life (money, time, night life vs day focus). In 2003, I got a good IT job and decided that I can look back at DJ-ing, but as a hobby this time. I started to collect some second hand gear to start with and got a Gemini turntable, a CDJ-500s, a Tascam CDJ and a 3 channel mixer from JBSystems. I also got a stupid Hercules DJ Console MK1 when it was the first compact DJ controller for computer DJing. I still own these, but they just collect dust.

In 2008 i had more cash and decided to built a new setup, very similar to what you are after. I also thought that I want to be able to play both with and without computer, so I got a pair of CDJ-400s (the only one with USB/HID/MIDI at that time). A nice 4 channel Vestax PMC-280 FX mixer and put all that in a RoadReady coffin so they are compact and easy to carry from party to party. I also got a pair of 32GB USB/SATA SSD drives to use with the players without computer and without the need to burn CDs. It was a perfect Hybrid setup for analogue and digital performance!

So far so good but it appeared that I always prefer to play on TraktorPro and 98% of the time, I'm using the CDJs for controllers only. I then decided to get a Traktor Scratch Pro with the Audio8 to expand my setup with timecode. That was mid last year (2010). When I started to accept the idea to invest more, I also started to have doubts. I was feeling that the coffin is too large and heavy to carry on parties. It was simply not convenient enough and I often didn't want bringing to parties, simply because of the logstics - always need to look after the damn heavy and expensive Case! Adding the TSP would have make it more functional, but not more convenient. I realized that it won't make me happy, so I started looking at controllers and realized how cool the VCI-100 is. It was actually capable of all I was doing with my CDJ setup and even more, because of the DJ TT mappings. It can also fit in a backpack, which is all I wanted!

At the same time, NI teased the S4. Once I saw it, I realized that it's all I want. Once the S4 was available in Nov, I went to a shop to try it and confirmed it's awesomeness. I've put my CDJ-400 coffin on sale and sold them in the beginning of Jan. I can now say the S4 is more then perfect!

so bottom line is look for controllers. Don't burn your hard earned money on expensive Pioneer gear. Since you have the DDM, get some of the controllers from my post above. Not to say that for the price of just one CDJ-850, you'll get the awesome S4. It's the most practical & creative controller and bundles the best software to use with.

There's simply no point in investing in CDJs, when it's all so computerized these days. Especially if you seek advise on this forum