Kinect "AiR" Scratching with Traktor - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Quote Originally Posted by Karlos Santos View Post
    Its about as useful as this:

LoL!! I need 2 of those to make a rubber chicken sandwish!!

Back on topic, the Kinect has a LOT of user created hacks (althou this one is the first one DJ related I have seen) and if I buy one it would be for the "hacks" and definetly not for the games.

MS said that the device wont recognize "other limbs" besides arms and legs but again they will work on new firmware that would allow the recognition of fingers. A bit of hacking and the Traktor Dick Pro could be a reality.
    Erase. Stop. Start.

Tech Convert

to me this is the future. when traktor first came out people said who would use a computer to dj with ? real dj's use vinyl. look where we are now. its not what you use but how you use it, even if your using your dick to scratch with.

menu system for selecting records.

[ame="http://vimeo.com/20093240"]eye tunes concept on Vimeo[/ame]

Tech Guru

It is an interesting concept, but, as said before, it needs a lot of work.

Might be a cheaper option if you were looking into that 52' traktor touch screen
    GPS of Fresh Wet Paint | "Always Fresh n' Sticky"
    DJEditorHugger

Fresh Wet Paint: Facebook | Twitter | Soundcloud | Site
    GPS: Facebook | Twitter | Soundcloud

the trouble with Kinnect is the latency... waving your hands in the air infront of a camera, trying to scratch some 'virtual vinyl' is bad enough... but doing that shit with 20-30ms of latency is pointless.

fair play though - glad someone tried it!

Tech Convert

optimized
    [ame="http://www.vimeo.com/20134099"]kinect air scratch accuracy on Vimeo[/ame]

scratch cue test.

[ame="http://www.vimeo.com/20134033"]kinect air scratch mix proof on Vimeo[/ame]

yeah that giant traktor table looks sweet. i have been making multi-touch versions of this as well. still i like the kinect air scratching, for me its just as fun as scratching with real decks.

almost ready for people to try. i just have to embed the midi control and note info into the graphics program so it will be a double click solution. so this app right now is plugin play.

as per the latency issues, :eek: i have not really had an issue. the video above actually is doing a lot of video processing like visualizing the waveform on the record, animating, not to mention processing the kinect rgb image and processing the depth image to track your movements. so there is way to much going on in that video to judge any latency.

by not using both the depth and rgb images from the kinect, im able to get a much better recording. this video was originally 2560 x 1440 thats bigger than your big screen 1080p HDTV so its a stretch to capture that size on a macbook air let alone process the kinect. still this is accurate enough to scratch with and to mix with.

i can use the kinect as a mouse for my computer do i still use my tablet or mouse ? yes i do. can you dj with your mouse yes you can do i dj with my mouse no. can i do a full dj mix set with the kinect ? not yet. so this is not an end all solution. at least for now. years ago people said no one would dj with cd's well they where wrong, then it was traktor 1, and people said who is going to use a lap-top to dj with, real dj use records. then the ipod dj mixer thing came out and people said that was gay no one would use an ipod to dj with. now with ipod touch my 3 year old can battle you. so just think of this as cool toy for now.

optimized scratch and mix kinect tests. 60-30fps without screen capturing in this mode, which means accurate enough to dj with. no latency issues as you see i have no issue hitting 1/16th note patterns. if haptic response is your concern then you could certainly point the kinect at your real turntable. kinect latency issues are done with skeleton tracking and done on an xbox. and do not really apply to hacks. like i said if you just use the depth image from the kinect then a normal computer will be fine. like i said this works on a mac air.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12