Headphones, give advice!
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Tech Wizard

Default Headphones, give advice!

Hi all,

after years of spending as little as possible on headphones to spend it on gear instead I am ready for a new (read: real) pair of headphones. I have my setup for now which frees up some bucks for new investments, yay!

Now, have any of you people used hd25's and aiaiai's tma-1 to be able to compare them? Because those two are the ones I actually consider (they cover both ends of my targeted price range). Up to now, I used those panasonic retro cans named HT7X which worked surprisingly well considering their lowlowlow price. Nice bass, ok mids, but now I want something that has better rendition of mids and especially highs (I like the highs on the HT7X, but as soon as a hi-hat comes in, i realize why they are cheap, the upper end just blows. They sound like shattering glass sometimes.). Mainly for DJ'ing (minimal techno/tech house), but also to listen to pink floyd on the bus.

I probably won't be able to test them both, only the HD25's.

TMA-1 are cheaper than the hd25, i am a sucker for minimalistic functional design, but i hear the hd25's sound better, especially in the high range. Warm and dark, that's what reviews say about the TMA-1's, brighter and less forward in the mids, as the tma's seem to be a bit oversaturated there. hd25's are about 20% more expensive, depending on source. Are they 20% better also?

Does anyone have a comparison of HT7X and TMA-1's or HD25's? Well that would be superb because I think I am a little biased by using nothing but the panasonics for 2 years. Now i need something that will make me happy for the next 2 years...

cheers folks,

G

Can't really help you with the HD25 comparison, but I used the TMAs at the DJTT store, and I loved them. Not sure if that helps you though.

Jus curious, why aren't you comparing the HDJ2000s?

I'm going to end up using Dr Dre Beats Pro for my DJing needs since this girl who likes me bought me a pair already for my bday which is in March lol.

http://www.djtechtools.com/2009/12/1...e-uber-review/
    Plus do a search here, there's been a bunch of threads about headphones.
    "Walking the fine line between Stupidity and Genious" My Soundcloud ---- My Mixcloud
    MBP Retina 2015--TSP 2.10--2xDNSC5000--2xDNSC2900--2xDNSC2000--NI F1--Denon DN-X1700--HDJ2000--Stanton STR8-80--QSC K12's--Crown Amplifier--Urei Monitors

Tech Guru

Quote Originally Posted by Groats View Post
    Mainly for DJ'ing (minimal techno/tech house), but also to listen to pink floyd on the bus.
    I have two different types of headphones, depending on the situation.

I use Sony MDR-V600's for all day listening at work. The earcup is closed, keeping out background noise....and the ear cup is large - it will fit completely over my ear without touching. This means they are comfortable for all day use. The response has some coloration...there is a slight "smiley face" to the overall response.

I use Sony MDR-7506's to DJ. These are also closed cup, and allow me to monitor *much* lower than most other DJs I share a booth with. The ear cup rests on my ears...so they are only comfortable for a few hours in a stretch. The response is flat...so these are very handy during setup when I need to make room EQ adjustments.

The Sony headphones almost never make the "top DJ headphone" lists. But, they represent good value for $. I think of these in the same way I think about the Shure SM58. There are certainly better headphones (or mic's) available...and they almost certainly cost more. The Sony's are proven, industry standard, and good value for $. Both are in the <$100 price point.

The skratchworx mega review is also grand... Will look up a link for you later on.
    RSTRCTD | twitter | facebook (RSTRCTD) facebook (LJ) | vimeo | pinterest | my studio | soundcloud (RSTRCTD)| soundcloud (LJ)
    -- CHECK our DEBUT (DEEP)HOUSE EP RELEASE ON BEATPORT "RSTRCTD - EXISTENCE" --

headphone reviews i dont trust much since you can get a highend pair and people will judge them before burn in. My Sony MDR-V700 when I got them first sounded like crap with no bass then all of a sudden after a month of constantly playing music it suddenly sounded awesome and continues from there.

Probably will end up djing with my Shure SRH440s for a while since my sonys... hehehe I someout burnt out something in the left driver so now there's no bass
    /人◕‿‿◕人\
    --Its not the OS, It's the user--

heres a tread i started a little while back...
    http://www.djtechtools.com/forum/showthread.php?t=24486
    while i cant help you in a side by side comparrasin of the TMA's and HD25s.
    i can say the HD25s are a great sounding headphone and if hi/mid clarritty your after more so than base, i would highly recommend them
    now i may be biased as i own them. but from every review or comment out there the overall sound quality is great. the TMA's i seem to have a louder more punchy base sound and are also a great headset and even DJTT highly recommend them (but they are also selling them-so why not)

if you can go into a local store and actually try on a few different headphones that may be best, because when it comes to headphones its each to there own

but read trough the treads and reviews and that should help you make your mind up but i dont really think you can go wrong with choosing the TMA's or the HD25's. just about personal taste and whats more important to you sound claritty/base/comfort/durability/style/price etc
    Please LIKE MY PAGE FACEBOOK Page and I'll Return The Favor

)))---|> http://facebook.com/DjBullyBolger <|---(((

This is the one, favourite it, and learn it by heart!

http://www.skratchworx.com/reviews/headphones_2010.php
    RSTRCTD | twitter | facebook (RSTRCTD) facebook (LJ) | vimeo | pinterest | my studio | soundcloud (RSTRCTD)| soundcloud (LJ)
    -- CHECK our DEBUT (DEEP)HOUSE EP RELEASE ON BEATPORT "RSTRCTD - EXISTENCE" --

Tech Wizard

Quote Originally Posted by Tekki View Post
    This is the one, favourite it, and learn it by heart!

http://www.skratchworx.com/reviews/headphones_2010.php
    very nice, thanks! will read multiple times!

Got tma-1's as I discovered DJTT, so went with them on the basis of other reviews. Use Bose QC15's for listening. Have UE Triple-Fi 10's when I want/need IEm's. Had Dr. Dre's on loan for a week. tma-1's are astounding.
    (mainly deep & tech house, some prog, minimal and dub)

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast