!!HELP!! - MIDI Conversion through Bomes
    Tech Student

Exclamation !!HELP!! - MIDI Conversion through Bomes

Hey all we are currently working on a MIDI controller and cannot convert keystrokes into MIDI because we do not understand the Hexidecimal blah code.

What we are basically trying to do is define keystrokes and have a midi output for them to work in Deckadance. I have set the incoming stroke but when it comes to the outcoming to do something as simple as PLAY/PAUSE i cant work out what to do...

any help would be much appreciated...

Tech Guru

if you are having trouble with the hex stuff, check out this conversion table: http://www.ascii.cl/conversion.htm
    Traktor Pro 2.5.0, Mixxx 1.9.1, Massive, Ableton Live 8
    MBP 15" 8GB RAM OS 10.7.4, Audio Kontrol 1, Audio 2 DJ, Sennheiser HD-25 II
    DJTT VCI-100SE Arcade, Akai LDP8, M-Audio Pro Keystation 88, Novation Launchpad, iTM DJ
    ifnotwhynot.me | soundcloud.com | fairtilizer.com | digitaldj planet | digitaldj music

Tech Student

Cheers but it still kind of does not help...

Im having trouble explaining it because its a kind of new area. But we want to convert key strokes to a midi signal.

With deckadance you cant program keystrokes into it like u can with traktor (eg. Space = play). Deckadance requires it to be in the form of a midi signal sent from a midi controller. What we need is that signal converted into the hexidecimal so when we press space our keystroke is read as space but converted to a hexi code (eg. 07 D3 yada yada) which Deckadance can read and learn.

Heres an example with Bomes:
    http://www.bome.com/midi/translator/screenshots.html

Tech Guru

right .. so where are you stuck exactly?
    just try to assign your keystroke to some MIDI message (just take anything you can see in the bome's manual or the website). then you can at least test it out with MIDI learn in deckadance to see that something is coming in. make sure you also read input from the virtual midi device used to output the MIDI signal in bome's.

next step you need to learn a bit how midi messages are constructed. once you know that, you should be able to use the above conversion table to get to the hex values bome's requires.

i did a quick google search and the following seems to explain the structure of midi messages quite well: http://www.planetoftunes.com/sequence/messages.html
    Traktor Pro 2.5.0, Mixxx 1.9.1, Massive, Ableton Live 8
    MBP 15" 8GB RAM OS 10.7.4, Audio Kontrol 1, Audio 2 DJ, Sennheiser HD-25 II
    DJTT VCI-100SE Arcade, Akai LDP8, M-Audio Pro Keystation 88, Novation Launchpad, iTM DJ
    ifnotwhynot.me | soundcloud.com | fairtilizer.com | digitaldj planet | digitaldj music

Tech Student

well we did try just putting in random things and got an effects slider to move down but it would reset to the position it was in once the key was lifted.

we are using a modified keyboard but with deckadance u cant assign hotkeys like traktor.. they have to be translated through bomes using a midi signal