Loop Controls Issue... Help?
    Tech Wizard

Default Loop Controls Issue... Help?

Hey all,

I realize this might end up being a completely stupid question, but I recently started having an issue with the loop controls on both decks of the S4 and I can't for the life of me figure out to fix it.

When I use the knobs on the deck to select the length of the loop, instead of giving me every option in sequence (1/32, 1/16, 1/8, 1/4, 1/2, 1, 2, etc...), turning the knob will jump the cursor from 1/32 to 1/4, 1/4 to 2, 2 to 16, and so on. I'm able to select the options in between with my mouse, but not on the S4 itself. Either way, very inconvenient for doing some loop tricks. I'm still fairly new to Traktor, so I don't know if I somehow managed to inadvertently press a button or enable a preference that does this, but I can't for the life of me figure out how to get it to go back to normal.

Snap and Quant are on. I tried disabling each to see if that changed anything, but no.

I recently started using a MIDI Fighter with the Instant Gratification mapping in tandem with my S4. While I'm not sure if that might be causing the problem or if there's any known glitch that causes this, I don't recall ever having the issue when I was just using the S4 alone with the default mapping. I also haven't tried running the S4 alone with the default mapping to see if everything is normal there, but I will shortly.

Any help would be appreciated, because I'm a little stumped on this one. I didn't notice there was a problem until I was setting up a loop at a gig the other night and nothing I tried seemed to correct it. I can't shake feeling like it's something right under my nose and I'm probably gonna have a "Durrrrrr" moment when I find out what the fix is, but I'll swallow my pride if it means I can select loop length normally again.

Thanks!

DJTT Infectious Moderator photojojo's Avatar

Does it happen if the Midi Fighter is not selected in the in/out ports for that mapping? one work around would be to select auto loop in the S4 section in preference. Then when you press in it sets whatever loop size is selected. Pressing in again reduces the loop by one. Pressing out increases the loop size by one.
    Chris Jennings FHP

Podcast - Soundcloud - Mixcloud - Beatport Charts - x

Tech Wizard

Not sure, but I'm going to set my gear up in a few minutes and I'll try that out. Will report once I know what happens.

Also, where in the preferences can I find auto loop? I had a quick look earlier after you replied, but didn't notice it anywhere. Even though I'm comfortable with Traktor for the most part, I only switched over from CD at the end of December so I'm still getting used to the ins and outs.

Tech Wizard

I had the same problem while jamming with some friends 2 weeks ago.
    I ended up reseting the default settings in the preferences to fix the problem.

I think it was probably something I pressed but I am not sure. Possibly the auto loop button?? Still a mystery to me but I would like to know why that happens as well.

DJTT Infectious Moderator photojojo's Avatar

In preferences at the very bottom of the list will be the S4 section. You can set the auto loop in there, but like noeflava says I would try to restore settings first as I don't think you can calibrate those loop knobs. It's in the same section of preferences. If that doesn't fix it i would contact support though because that's not right.
    Chris Jennings FHP

Podcast - Soundcloud - Mixcloud - Beatport Charts - x

Tech Wizard

OK, here's my update on the situation. I didn't try out the workaround you suggested, but restoring to default corrected the situation immediately. My loops work as they should again.

Now that I know that restoring default will fix the loop issue, I'm going to try re-importing the instant gratification mapping to see if if things continue to function properly or if the mapping possibly effected the settings for my loop controls somehow. At the moment, I have no idea if the problem began immediately upon using the new settings or if something got screwed up later on because I didn't notice. Either I enabled something I couldn't figure out how to disable or there might be a glitch with the mapping.

@ Noelflava: When the problem occurred for you, were you using the S4 alone in its default setup or were you using something additional, like a MIDI Fighter, along with it?

Either way, if anyone else has had the problem and has a better idea of what happened and how to fix it without having to restore to default, I'd be interested in hearing them. I'm also contemplating bringing up the issue in the MIDI Fighter section of the forum, just to try and either confirm or rule out the problem being connected to the mapping.