New Year Gig - Successes & Failiures
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default New Year Gig - Successes & Failiures

Just thought I'd find out how all your gigs went....

Mine was a colourful night. I took my entire PA rig down (Mixer / Speakers / Lights / Smoke Machine, etc) to a club in East London. The guys who run the place have only just bought it and are pretty clueless about running a big venue (but they paid well, so fuck it).

At about 9pm I set everything up and started playing. The lights looked kinda lame without the smoke, so I said shall I blast the fogger (Smoke Machine). Management said yeah despite me asking them about any smoke alarms. They said it would be fine.

Long story short.... The alarm started screaming and they didn't know how to turn it off. The fire brigade had to come out and deactivate the alarm. This took 20 minutes and cleared THE ENTIRE building out.

From 9:30, I started with zero people and gradually built it up again. What a fucking disaster......

Strangely, they invited me back to play next week.

Made me laugh. Won't forget that NYE in a hurry .
    Oh shit - There goes another set of speakers!:eek:

Tech Mentor

Oh my gosh! My New Year Gig story is less interesting then yours.

I played for the first time at a "friends" house with traktor and my new VCI 100 B with Zac Kyoti tsi file(Thanks Zac Kyoti). Everything was okay. The crowed was dancing I played for about 2h something. Started at 0:30.

I used Live before but I have to say that Traktor provides more functionallity and a better workflow for me.

Quote Originally Posted by r1chardell1s View Post
    Long story short.... The alarm started screaming and they didn't know how to turn it off. The fire brigade had to come out and deactivate the alarm. This took 20 minutes and cleared THE ENTIRE building out.
    Hahaha, thanks for sharing your story !

You gotta laugh! Otherwise you'd cry!
    Oh shit - There goes another set of speakers!:eek:

That's kind of awesome, rich...

my night went well, I have a weekly at a dive bar in a Colorado ski town. Plenty of tourists were in. This was the first night i went with four decks (two controlled by a Trigger Finger and two controlled by turntable). Setup went great, and no tech issues all night.

it was hanging out after the bar closed that was my problem. jager/crown/well whiskey and whatever else i was drinking led to a rough morning...

Retired DJTT Moderator DvlsAdvct's Avatar

I spun last night. It was a weird night in general. Almost had a fight, lots of 'old school' guys too cool to dance, little bits of drama, no shockers there.

I've realized two decks isn't enough for me. I was spinning on just my VCI-100 and Traktor 3. After building this new setup I've found I need a bit more with me for cue juggling, and sample dropping. New laptop comes in tomorrow and I have very few gigs coming up, so I have time to start putting everything together :-)

But yeah, in general the gig didn't blow. I spun, all that matters to me. Happy New Year again to all.
    It's the FAQ. Read it.

My Mixes, Mashups and Rants

Divided we stand
    United we fall

my gig was soo lame

it was held at a resturant......and there was prolly around a total of 15 people with a real diverse crowd........persians,asians,mexicans, and americans........and every one was like way older so there wasnt much danceing

and to top it off my stupid numark djio kept snapen and dropen the music for a sec or so

so I guess it could of been better

I was opening for a friend of mine at some small club in Woodbridge (just West of Toronto) and things where going well, as I was just supposed to warm up with some minimalistic techno. While I was playing, the bouncer in front of the booth got told by management to let some hot chicks up. So just as I was finishing my set at around 10:30, one of these drunken tits pores 1/3 of her beer onto my MacBook. Don't ask me how it came to this, as my MB was on a stand, but managed to protect the computer from a good amount of it... but as usual with the first version of the MacBook, any little bit of liquid kills it... So some fell on the trackpad, but nothing else happened until closer inspection I note that my trackpad is no longer working. Manage to finish up my set with my MB tiled to one side to let drain the beer.

When I started trying to close down the programs and the computer, it just died on me... and by that time all of the chicks had left the booth (my apparent large amount of swearing is a turn off), so no chance on finding the girl that pored the beer.

Right now, my MB has no battery in it and is drying under multiple fans for the next 48. I haven't bothered to even try and turn it on and will have to open it up and clean it with pure alcohol.
    ~MacBook 2.4 GHz | Pacemaker 666 | Traktor Pro | Ableton Live 7~
    ~Indie Dance | Nu Disco | Electro House | Old Skool Funk~

Me and my friend DJed a rather large(for a while) house party. I started the night off around 9:30ish. No one was there at this point. I worked until 10:30 (we went back to back hourly). Still no one there except the 5 original people of the night. I was starting to think that the party was a bust. I was asking the throwers whats up and they just kept shrugging. Also I was using my custom midi controller for... 15 minutes before it started bugging out on me. So me and my buddy decided fuck it lets get drunk.

As soon as 11:20 hit the house got packed fast 5 new people in every 5 minutes. I guess they were waiting for the last possible moment to come in. Everyone hurried up and got some champagne and toast to the new year. Not one person had danced yet btw. No dancing started until 12:45 and then everyone had left by 2. So 1 hour and 15 minutes of fun which I only seen the beginning of that. Lame. But it was moving when it was. Bad start, good middle. bad end.
    SyblingQ - Electro House for dark alleys.

Quote Originally Posted by P-Phunk View Post
    I was opening for a friend of mine at some small club in Woodbridge (just West of Toronto) and things where going well, as I was just supposed to warm up with some minimalistic techno.
    [..]
    I haven't bothered to even try and turn it on and will have to open it up and clean it with pure alcohol.
    Dude, no chance of having it covered by the venues insurance?

I am sure some things must be covered!
    RSTRCTD | twitter | facebook (RSTRCTD) facebook (LJ) | vimeo | pinterest | my studio | soundcloud (RSTRCTD)| soundcloud (LJ)
    -- CHECK our DEBUT (DEEP)HOUSE EP RELEASE ON BEATPORT "RSTRCTD - EXISTENCE" --

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast