A few questions about mixing - Page 5
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

for my first gig I had my set planned out, only in as far as I knew what tunes I would play.

Other than that, have a few beers, not too many, and enjoy yourself.

if you casn get a crowd of people along to support you, even better.
    Tony the Pony.
    My soundcloud page. House, mainly.

Mixcloud & Website coming soon.

Tech Mentor

Quote Originally Posted by ponyboy View Post
    for my first gig I had my set planned out, only in as far as I knew what tunes I would play.

Other than that, have a few beers, not too many, and enjoy yourself.

if you casn get a crowd of people along to support you, even better.
    If I don't plan when I'm bringing tunes in and what effects I use etc then it'll just be fading in and out for the whole set. I can't possibly do a really good mix that's akin to a mash-up if I haven't planned it already.

Quote Originally Posted by DJWilliams View Post
    If I don't plan when I'm bringing tunes in and what effects I use etc then it'll just be fading in and out for the whole set. I can't possibly do a really good mix that's akin to a mash-up if I haven't planned it already.
    Why would you have to fade them? Beat match them.

Do whatever you need to do anyway, Iwas just giving some suggestions.

good luck.
    Tony the Pony.
    My soundcloud page. House, mainly.

Mixcloud & Website coming soon.

Tech Mentor

Quote Originally Posted by ponyboy View Post
    Why would you have to fade them? Beat match them.

Do whatever you need to do anyway, Iwas just giving some suggestions.

good luck.
    That's what I mean, there won't be any complex build ups or double drops.

Thanks

Tech Mentor

Quote Originally Posted by DJWilliams View Post
    Any tips then for a 'first gig'? Should I play loads of popular 'bangers' or a mix of stuff?
    Personally I would go for a couple of "safe" options to get you into it. I was so nervous for the first couple of mixes I couldn't even remember what i'd played. Once you get that down and out of the way you'll feel much more confident and you can then play what YOU think will go well.

Other than that relax and dont get too drunk!!(I did this once and took the wrong deck off!!!)

Tech Mentor

Would it be advisable to have a few tokes of mj beforehand to calm me or will I get even more nervous and start panicking? haha

I'd definitely give Kirsten Dunst a couple of tokes before a gig to calm me down....
    Ableton 9.7.5, Native Instruments Komplete Ultimate 11, MOTU 828 Mk2, Nektar Impact LX61+, Ableton Push, Native Instruments Kore 2, and a random selection of soft synths and sample libraries.
    Windows 10 Pro 64 bit with Core i7 4960X Extreme Edition 12 core CPU, 64GB RAM, SanDisk Ultra Extreme SSDs and a GeForce GTX 970 G1 Gaming GPU.

Tech Mentor

Quote Originally Posted by Bunford View Post
    I'd definitely give Kirsten Dunst a couple of tokes before a gig to calm me down....
    It amplifies what I'm feeling, so if I'm nervous already I'm afraid that it would make me worse...

Quote Originally Posted by djnesquigs View Post
    oh and play houseparties for your friends. nothing takes away the jitters like having your friends as your audience. especially when you screw up cause theyll tell you even if you didnt notice.
    Deffo to this +1

Never know that a promoter maybe at that party or someone well connected
    | TSP2 | Behringer DJX 750 | NI Audio 8 | Asus Eee PC | Novation Launchpad | Kontrol X1 | 2x Technics 1210 MK II's

What i do is freestyle the smaller gigs but whenever a big one comes up, it's better to be perfect and not be able to do requests.

For freestyling, after you do it enough you get a feel for when to mix in other songs. I don't even have count in my head, I just know when the songs change up by instinct .Usually there's a change every four 32 bars. So when you're just learning to freestyle at first, look at the waveform and visually figure out when to put the next track in.
    Setup: Kontrol S2, Komplete Audio 6, Maschine Mikro Akai LPD 8, Akai Mpk49, Traktor 2, Ableton Suite 8.
    http://soundcloud.com/miishmash

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast