Network problems
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Network problems

Hey guys, I've been having serious trouble with connecting to the internet on my laptop.

I'm running a Dell Inspiron 6000 laptop, XP SP3. My Network Adapters show as follows:
    1394 Net Adapter (which as I've read many times, is a firewire connection, has nothing to do with internet)
    Broadcom 440x 10/100 Integrated Controller
    Intel(R) PRO/Wireless 2200BG Network Connection

Now, the problem.

Network was working fine, then one night, Firefox updated and the next thing internet was no longer accessible.

My Network appears to connect when I plug in my broadband cable, but when I open the browser I get a "Failed to Connect" page

My LAN connection is fine, but when I try to repair the 1394 connection it says Windows could not repair because "TCP/IP is not enable for this connection"

Now, I understand that the 1394 should have nothing to do with the network connection, but it appears this is where the problem lies. I used Broadcoms Diagonostics tool to view the devices and the 1394 connection says that the drivers are not loaded - Even though they are.

I've uninstalled and reinstalled them to no avail. disabled the 1394 in an attempt to bypass it to no avail. I've tried resetting the Winsock settings etc. to no avail.

Has anyone any more ideas, or am I simply describing the need for a new network card?

All help is appreciated, seriously! I know there are many more tech savvy individuals here than me!
    17" MacBook Pro, 2.66 GHz i7, 4GB RAM; Vestax VCI-100, NI Audio Kontrol 1/ MBox Mini, M-Audio Oxygen 8, Beyerdynamic DT-150 cans; Pro Tools LE 8, Ableton Live 8, Logic Studio 9, Traktor Pro

Open up the device manager in windows. Uninstall and reinstall in there.

Did you install drivers via the disk dell gave you for reinstalls?
    Dj Krilikz‡ -

Yeah, I've tried an uninstall and reinstall, but no luck.

I'm hoping this is a software problem, I can't afford repairs at the moment!!
    17" MacBook Pro, 2.66 GHz i7, 4GB RAM; Vestax VCI-100, NI Audio Kontrol 1/ MBox Mini, M-Audio Oxygen 8, Beyerdynamic DT-150 cans; Pro Tools LE 8, Ableton Live 8, Logic Studio 9, Traktor Pro

Hmm im trying to think whats the problem. Its hard to tell unless i get my hands on the comp itself. Im also not that knowledgeable when it comes to networking stuff.

Try restarting your router (power it down..wait 10 seconds then start it back up)
    Have you tried useing IE at all?

Try hoping over to hardocp.com post on the Networking forum and see if they can help.

If worst come to worst...reinstall your system.
    Dj Krilikz‡ -

Hi,

The 1394 port can be used in win Xp for conection between two pcs, similar to the com port but much faster. But this is not common used for wan connections. So probably firefox is picking that as the default connection instead of the network card.
    If you could tell me waht kind of internet connection you have (static Ip, DHCP, behind a router...etc) adn maybe if you could paste a copy of the result of the commad ipconfig /all . I could give you more ideas. In the meanwhile try to disable the 1394 card and run the command:
    ipconfig /release and then
    ipconfig /renew

Paste the results and I can give you more ideas.

Thanks guys!

Alien2k, I tried the ipconfig/release and renew, but it didn't change anything. I'm not sure exactly what connection I have, so I'll describe it to you - we have a router here which I connect to with the ethernet cable; my ip address is automatically set by my isp.

Here's my ipconfig:

Windows IP Configuration

Host Name . . . . . . . . . . . . : one
    Primary Dns Suffix . . . . . . . :
    Node Type . . . . . . . . . . . . : Unknown
    IP Routing Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
    WINS Proxy Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
    DNS Suffix Search List. . . . . . : chello.ie

Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix . : chello.ie
    Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Broadcom 440x 10/100 Integrated Controller
    Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-12-3F-E9-B9-99
    Dhcp Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : Yes
    Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes
    IP Address. . . . . . . . . . . . : 79.97.144.125
    Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0
    Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 79.97.144.1
    DHCP Server . . . . . . . . . . . : 79.97.128.1
    DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . : 89.101.160.5

Lease Obtained. . . . . . . . . . : 02 January 2009 20:55:21
    Lease Expires . . . . . . . . . . : 02 January 2009 21:48:53

Again, help is much appreciated guys!

Allright then, Nemo to the rescue Are you still running Internet Explorer on your computer?

If so, then try and browse the internet with that instead. I doubt the failure lays within FireFox, but then again, its IS possible. (If you deleted all shortcuts, then just do: Start > Run > and then type iexplore.exe in the box and press enter, and it should open up for you)

2nd, you have an ip, your DNS is configured so that is ALL ok. Do as previously described and DISABLE the firewire connection, It is no good for your Network settings anyways, and if you shall use a Firewire soundcard one day, it will interfere, so better be prepared!

Now, when you disabled that, enter the command line again (where you did ipconfig) and then type: ping yahoo.com and press enter. I would like to see the output of that.

If you get an output like:

C:\Users\nemo>ping yahoo.com

Pinging yahoo.com [206.190.60.37] with 32 bytes of data:
    Reply from 206.190.60.37: bytes=32 time=122ms TTL=51
    Reply from 206.190.60.37: bytes=32 time=121ms TTL=52
    Reply from 206.190.60.37: bytes=32 time=120ms TTL=52
    Reply from 206.190.60.37: bytes=32 time=116ms TTL=52

Ping statistics for 206.190.60.37:
    Packets: Sent = 4, Received = 4, Lost = 0 (0% loss),
    Approximate round trip times in milli-seconds:
    Minimum = 116ms, Maximum = 122ms, Average = 119ms

C:\Users\nemo>

You are fine, you have internet, and there is something wrong with your browser settings that is all.

IF you can not ping yahoo.com and get time outs, then I am affraid something is either:

A) Blocking your connection (Windows firewall?! Firewall on the Router?!)
    B) Your ISP has problems

In either of those cases, I would call my ISP and see if there is a problem in your area.

I tried to PING your IP and I got a request time out, so it seems that you have a firewall on that blocks icmp requests.

In firefox you can also check your connection settings under: Tools > Options > Advanced > Network > Settings

You should -under normal circumstances- have No Proxy, if it has something in there, write down all settings and change it to No Proxy (And please do NOT forget to write down any information it says on that before you change, cause that is info I can not provide you with later)

Tell me the result

Yo Nemo!

I tried IE before but it is suffering the same connectivity problems so I had guessed Firefox had little to do with any problems.

I should have mentioned, my housemates can use the router to connect without any problems so the problem is on my system.

I uninstalled my Norton security to get rid of any possible conflicts and also have the Windows firewall disabled, so there shouldn't be anything blocking the connection.

All my proxies in Firefox and IE are automatically set and always have been.

Here's my ping results:

C:\Documents and Settings\Brendan>ping yahoo.com

Pinging yahoo.com [206.190.60.37] with 32 bytes of data:

Reply from 206.190.60.37: bytes=32 time=110ms TTL=54
    Reply from 206.190.60.37: bytes=32 time=109ms TTL=54
    Reply from 206.190.60.37: bytes=32 time=115ms TTL=54
    Reply from 206.190.60.37: bytes=32 time=109ms TTL=54

Ping statistics for 206.190.60.37:
    Packets: Sent = 4, Received = 4, Lost = 0 (0% loss),
    Approximate round trip times in milli-seconds:
    Minimum = 109ms, Maximum = 115ms, Average = 110ms

Make of them what you will!

I really hope this is a solvable mystery. I know it's a difficult task over a forum, so again, appreciate everything guys!

You have network, thats for sure! Otherwise you would not get those results (I mean, you have network AND internet connectivity).

Now, you mentioned something about your housemates being able to connect, are you saying you are all using the same router somehow?!

What else happened before you had no connection? Did someone else plug in? Did you run any MS updates? I really think that its something simple, as you do have Internet... Damn, Its too bad I am not working at tech support anymore, otherwise you could call me for free and ill solve it on the phone haha

Try to set it to NO PROXY, just for fun, pliiiiiiiiiz

Sorry, I didn't mean router, I meant cable modem, mixed up my terms for a moment! It's late here!!

What happend as I remember it was - I came home slightly buzzed! was browsing the net for some tunes, firefox updated and then nada! I don't remember there being any Windows updates, as it wasn't bugging me restart.

I've exhausted search string options to try and find an answer myself, but come up empty handed.

Oh, I tried no proxy and nothing again!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast