How do i get the best out of ripped vinyls?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default How do i get the best out of ripped vinyls?

Would anyone who knows what there doing when it comes to ripping vinyls be able to have a look at a couple of flac files i have ripped and see if they can see what the issue is or if anything could be done to improve the sound?

Just lack punch

Cheers
    Gav
    M I S T E R M O L E Y M O L E
    part of the digital revolution

There is some good info here:

http://www.djtechtools.com/forum/pri...ad.php?t=10063

You might also warp the track in Ableton Live afterwards as vinyl rips drift.
    PC | TSP2 | A8 | S4 | X1 | T1200MK2

Beat Gridding Tutorial

anyone want to approach the subject of joint stereo and normal stereo when recording? I think i chose stereo instead of joint and am wondering if this is an issue? Anyone in the know care to shed some light on the situation?

Tech Mentor

Joint stereo has nothing to do with recording. Instead, it is a technique used in the lossy compression of audio (to formats such as MP3). In any case, that's not an encoder setting to play with--just leave it at its default. (I'm guessing "joint stereo" is the default setting at lower bitrates--not so sure about higher bitrates).

pretty sure it was a setting i used to look at in sound forge when recording. Havent got it installed at present to check... might give it a reinstall to check again.

You have multiple points of failure when recording vinyl -- your needle; your phono preamp; your sound card; your recording software; your encoding software; and probably a few other things... What equipment are you using? And do you notice the "lack of punch" when you are playing records without recording? Is there a difference if you take the sound card out of the picture and play the record through your stereo system?

Tech Mentor

Quote Originally Posted by MisterMoleyMole View Post
    pretty sure it was a setting i used to look at in sound forge when recording.
    really doubt that it's an option relevant to recording. if it's there, it's gonna come into play when exporting the audio to a lossy format such as MP3 or AAC.

and as i already said, it's nothing to worry about. other things such as the needle on your TT are far more important.

Not got them set up at the mo but just come across some vinyl rips that ive had for a while and they just sound awful.

When i ripped i was using soundforge. Vinyls were on a a 1210 with a stanton cart and needle plugged into audio 8 usb'd into pc with soundforge.

how old are your stylus's and how many times have the records you are ripping been played? the more you play a record, the less fidelity the sound has over time as they wear out.

I got an Ortofon ARKIV recently. Only ripped 2 or 3 vinyls so far. Not bad... but it seems the levels are REALLY low on my Xone 4D. I gotta turn the gain up quite a bit. A friend recommended to me to get an AD/DO converter.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast