How do you choose your music for the beginning when nobody's at the party yet? - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Tech Guru

I generally will play some cool down tempo house as people stroll in. I'll play tracks that I could never play prime time or when the place is half full. I try and play tracks that I want to hear (not peak time bangers) that I know will keep a nice vibe as people hit the bar.

Let say:

Hour 1 - 11PM - Deep house tracks, not a ton of vocals but groovy. Volume level around 50%
    Hour 2 - 12AM - Happier songs with some vocals, great place for classic tunes. Volume Level 70%
    Hour 3 - 1AM - Building it bigger to peak time, get a bit more aggressive. Play big songs but not the biggest tracks, you job as opener is to get the crowd hyped but not worn down. Use one or two of those really great classic tracks but not too many. Volume level 90% ( I always leave a little room for the main act, most of the time the club is paying $$$$$ for these guys and they need to shine.

In my opinion opening a room is harder than being prime time. You really need to read the crowd and get the going. In addition you can't play all of the songs the headliner would because it would leave them flat. When I open I pick some great classic tracks along with some tracks people don't know. This keeps the room just right, I've used this method to open for a ton of big name djs. Play it smart and they'll keep you around. Show off too much and the big guns will complain.
    :: Kontrol Z2 :: :: Technics 1200 :: :: Pioneer DJM 250 :: Kontrol X1 MkII :: :: Maschine :: :: Kontrol S4 ::

I play stuff I like, or older top 40 stuff people haven't heard. Also sometimes i'll play a mix by girl talk or atrak till people start getting here then start playing stuff. Start off slow and work my way up to good songs I know people will like.

Tech Mentor

I usually play mashups. Slightly danceable and it gets em interested

depends really sometimes when i've played early i'd play old tunes (2-3 year old EDM), house (soulful or deep), tech house, or minimal.

if you aren't playing at an EDM night, start off with some golden oldies before the top 40 dj comes on.

if you're opening at a hiphop gig, i dunno.. maybe some funk and soul?

^ + 1
    Dj F.a.R.h.A.n
    hip hop, house, reggaeton, dancehall, afrobeats, and international.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12