New MacBook Pros coming out Thursday
Page 1 of 14 1234511 ... LastLast

Default New MacBook Pros coming out Thursday

I've been waiting in anticipation since my old white plastic MacBook died a couple weeks ago. (Remember to back up your music!) This seems like the most reliable report yet that they're coming Thursday.

http://iphone.appleinsider.com/artic...cbookpros.html

Latest rumor says they will include larger track pads and that the OS will boot off an SSD.

http://m.bgr.com/2011/02/21/new-macb...e-new-details/

It's also expected to use Intel's new (faster) Sandy Bridge processors. Big question is will they change up the look or design of the MacBook Pro body?

We'll hopefully find out for sure on Thursday! I can't wait!

Tech Guru

Lol i heard about this today but didn't know if it was true. Gotta love the mac fans not knowing why you would load an OS onto an SSD partition....

If it has sandy bridge I'm getting a refurbished one.

Tech Guru

and people thought i was crazy when i sold off my macs. it was time. i have a 6th sense about when to get out of apple hardware.

my prediction, some form of iOS style either touch screen gesture system, or the announcement of touch gestures iOS style for touchpads in lion on thursday.

if im right, all existing apple hardware is going to take a nose dive in the resale department
    Baked Chicken | Brown Rice | Asparagus | Apple Juice | Snack Wells | Pretzel Chips | Lots of Water

Cool hopefully some older models will be cheaper now haha

WOAH! OS ON A SSD!!! Im sold
    FS: HP G62 AMDTurionII laptop!!!!

As for the answer on the SSD on OS is so the laptop wont suffer if the HDD poops out on ya and needing a whole reboot or new HDD so if you have an external backup you plug it right in and continue what you were doing. No vibration fails. ugh It's soo marvelous!

How much for the lowend 13" models?
    /人◕‿‿◕人\
    --Its not the OS, It's the user--

Tech Mentor

The announcement may come Thursday. I doubt they will ship prior to April, though. (Intel is responsible for the delay.)

Tech Mentor

Quote Originally Posted by MuzicFreq View Post
    WOAH! OS ON A SSD!!! Im sold
    FS: HP G62 AMDTurionII laptop!!!!

As for the answer on the SSD on OS is so the laptop wont suffer if the HDD poops out on ya and needing a whole reboot or new HDD so if you have an external backup you plug it right in and continue what you were doing. No vibration fails. ugh It's soo marvelous!

How much for the lowend 13" models?
    Not to mention increased boot speed as SSD is quite a bit faster on transfer times than standard HDD's.

Tech Guru

Quote Originally Posted by SAFC2403 View Post
    Not to mention increased boot speed as SSD is quite a bit faster on transfer times than standard HDD's.
    not exactly. SSD is faster on random access and seek time. That's why it improves the boot time and the application load time - because this type of operation loads multiple files from (potentially) various locations on the disk

when it comes to linear reading of a big file, SSDs are about the speed of the spinning platters.

the best option is close to what Apple are rumoured to have: SSD for OS + spinning platter for data storage. It's a waste to keep MP3s/FLACs/WAVs on SSD.

This 8 or 16GB SSD is a bit small, imo, but it makes a lot of sense. If it's done like this, it will be best for the average user. This way, you won't need to care at all about what goes where, as the file systems layout will be predefined in a smart way with the proper mount points.

I would still prefer to have 120G SSD for OS, Apps, Settings & temp + a large (750G/1TB) spinning platter @5400, but that may not be possible with the new MBPs - will see. The good is that we can build dual disk MBPs with the older models
    Last edited by loop; 02-22-2011 at 06:24 AM.

OS on ssd is fucking sick and all, and I'm amped.. but what about the rumours of a Peak Light bus? Did someone say 0ms latency?

Tech Mentor

Lol. Good thing I held off buying another macbookpro yesterday. SO LEGIT
    Live Gear : MacBook Pro 13" & 15" (depends which one I grab), Kontrol S4, Midi-Fighter, Shure SRH750DJ, Dedication.
    Quote Originally Posted by Karlos Santos View Post
    itajen just told Chilly to read the fucking manual... lol
    *takes hat off and bows to itajen*
    Be the change you want to see in the world.

Page 1 of 14 1234511 ... LastLast