iPad as an additional controller?

Default iPad as an additional controller?

Hey DJTT,

So I have 2 iPads sitting around in my household, and I was wondering how I could put these (though I'm really only looking to use 1, not 2) into sync with my KS4 and Novation Launchpad (mapped to TPS4).

I've searched around, but I just find interfaces for the iPad that mimic the layout of a mixer. I already have the KS4 to handle the general stuff, and I currently use the Launchpad to juggle 32 Cue points as well as control some C/D functions, etc. (Though 2 MidiFighters would be nice instead.)

Basically, I want to know if there are any cool layouts out there for the iPad that allow me to use it as pads, or get some serious additional FX control so I can really utilize the 4 FX slots--almost like adding an X1 or a MF. I hear some professionals talk about having an iPad alongside their full setup, but I don't know what exactly they do.

If you have any other suggested uses besides the ones listed above, I'm all ears!

Thanks! Sorry for the long post!

I had a play with using touchosc, you can design whatever layout you please and its frikkin easy to do to...... but latency is a bitch!!!
    M I S T E R M O L E Y M O L E
    part of the digital revolution

Okay yeah I'm just starting to see some stuff about touchosc, will it work on an iTouch too? And yeah... latency, is it really that bad? And finally, what exactly do I have to buy? I see all these people selling layouts and stuff, I know I have to buy the app but is there any way to get around the OSCulator?

you on a mac or pc?

Mac!!

ahh not sure then ... can you use pure data on a mac? thats the alternative to osculater

EDIT: You can use pure data on a mac.

Wow pure data looks complicated, is it hard to set up? And does anyone have a good tutorial/link/whatever on how to set up touchosc through osculator?

Default Re: iPad as an additional controller?

Arovia made some sick layout for ipad. Just type arovia i google. It comes with osculator file and tsi and its free, soon he will make for s4.
    If you want to learn about pure data download my layout for iphone+tsi on androidosc.blogspot.com
    TouchOSC for androd/iPhone WIN/MAC+TSI ableton live...
    androidosc.webs.com

Tech Mentor

Midi Touch is a good alternative to TouchOSC for creating control surfaces. I like it cos you don't need OSCulator or PD and you create the layout on the iPad itself.
    Not sure why you would use PD on a Mac, I thought it was an alternative to OSCulator for PC users as there isn't a PC version of OSCulator yet.
    Latency is good for me usually below 20ms via an adhoc connection, with RTPmidi and Bonjour on a PC, and about 60ms through a router.

Alright well I'll have to look into Midi Touch.

But I got TouchOSC working on my iPad and it's pretty incredible. The loop length indicator on the S4 as well as the TPS4 software changes when I change it on the iPad, as does everything else basically. Aside from it working smoothly without any lag or problems, I really find it pretty useless. The only thing that's gonna make me stick around and pay for the Osculator license is the FX control. I really like the sliders and the XY pads on some of these layouts I'm seeing, and they allow me to do more than my two hands on two knobs at one time.

If you guys have any other suggestions for how I should use the iPad, let me know, but for now I guess it'll just sit around and make me look cool/control some FX as I don't need it to mix, mess with cues, loop etc.

Thanks guys!

EDIT: And I like how I can get up and walk around and still maintain a reasonable level of control over my set.