[OT]: Illiterate scribblings
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default [OT]: Illiterate scribblings

Does anyone else get massively frustrated when people cannot express themselves in text?

I find many people's comments on Facebook and other forums almost painful to read, and find myself prejudging the intelligence levels of the poster due to their seeming inability to spell the simplest of words, or to form sentences in English - which is a bad thing, I know, but I can't seem to help it.

I have a deep and passionate loathing for many of the seemingly accepted bastardisations of the English language that are perpetrated online, with the main offenders being the random use of 'lol', 'u', and 'any1', the numerous mispellings of 'per se' and people who don't understand the difference between 'their', 'they're' and 'there'. This combined with impenetrable walls of text with and an utter disregard for punctuation makes me want to BREAK THINGS!

GAAAAAAAAAH!

</old man rant>
    Traktor Scratch Pro 2/Serato SL1/Ecler NUO 3.0/VCI 100 SE/2 x Technics 1210 Mk2/Sennheiser HD25 II/Novation Dicers

I don't have much of a problem with abbreviations like lol as long as they're not over used, but in general I agree.

On a forum all you have to represent yourself is your skill in written language, so I do sometimes find myself judging people for making stupid errors. Foreign language speakers are another matter, but people who claim english as their first language should know how to use it properly!

What irks me is people who come on and make their first post in full on bro' speak, yo. Using 'dat' and 'init' or suchlike. It's really not impressive online

That or gang speak. 'Dem gyal beta no wat comin ta dem, dem digi dj gat no skill'.
    (I've never actually seen that on this forum but it was in my head and I wondered what it would look like written down )
    TSP 2 | Serato DJ | Live 8 | MBP (SSD + HDD) | AIAIA TMA-1 Fool's Gold Edition | 1200 Mk2s | MidiFighter | KRK RP5
    Xone: DB4 | Pioneer CDJ-2000 Nexus
    DJTT FAQ | Read my guide to AUDIO CABLES

Quote Originally Posted by fullenglishpint View Post
    Foreign language speakers are another matter, but people who claim english as their first language should know how to use it properly!
    Quite. Though people with English as a second language tend to make different sorts of grammatical errors which usually means you can tell, and you've got to respect someone who can speak other languages well enough to post in them on a forum, it's more than I can do.

That or gang speak. 'Dem gyal beta no wat comin ta dem, dem digi dj gat no skill'.
    (I've never actually seen that on this forum but it was in my head and I wondered what it would look like written down )
    Word me breadbin

(is that right? I'm gully, Man dem know i's street ...)
    Traktor Scratch Pro 2/Serato SL1/Ecler NUO 3.0/VCI 100 SE/2 x Technics 1210 Mk2/Sennheiser HD25 II/Novation Dicers

Quote Originally Posted by Sherlock Ohms View Post
    Quite. Though people with English as a second language tend to make different sorts of grammatical errors which usually means you can tell, and you've got to respect someone who can speak other languages well enough to post in them on a forum, it's more than I can do.
    Me encantan lenguas extrañas, pero seguro que gramaticamente mi español es horible!

Auch mein Deutsch, dass ich seit lange nicht gesprochen habe weil ich in Spanien wohnen, ist unglaublich Scheiss im Moment.

TSP 2 | Serato DJ | Live 8 | MBP (SSD + HDD) | AIAIA TMA-1 Fool's Gold Edition | 1200 Mk2s | MidiFighter | KRK RP5

Me encantan lenguas extrañas, pero seguro que gramaticamente mi español es horible!

Auch mein Deutsch, dass ich seit lange nicht gesprochen habe weil ich in Spanien wohnen, ist unglaublich Scheiss im Moment.

Show off ...

Quote Originally Posted by Sherlock Ohms View Post
    Show off ...
    I live in Spain and I'm a modern languages undergrad, what do you expect

i second the op and would like to add:
    all browsers, now correct me if im wrong as ive been using chrome for 2 years, have a spell checker. those red likes are your computer trying to smack you.

also, when replying to a status, wall post forum post what have you, you have A LOT OF TIME.

third, im more lenient on misspelling in chat(rooms) because the 2(+) people might need to talk faster, but theoretically, if you both take the time to type right, no one will fall behind in the conversation.
    Become a Fan, And View My Latest Mixes | DJTT Chatroom (FB)
    Quote Originally Posted by photojojo View Post
    If the pack of lions are in sync then they're not real lions so it doesn't count.

DJTT Infectious Moderator photojojo's Avatar

I agree with just about everything except lol. Laugh out loud wasn't really a something people said as a reply before texting shorthand came into play.
    Chris Jennings FHP

Podcast - Soundcloud - Mixcloud - Beatport Charts - x

Quote Originally Posted by photojojo View Post
    I agree with just about everything except lol. Laugh out loud wasn't really a something people said as a reply before texting shorthand came into play.
    It's a bit of a bad habit of mine (lol)

I always did it on msn and in texts etc when i was much younger and it just kinda stuck.

Quote Originally Posted by theory28 View Post
    i second the op and would like to add:
    all browsers, now correct me if im wrong as ive been using chrome for 2 years, have a spell checker. those red likes are your computer trying to smack you.
    eh hem.

Bugs me as well. Saddens me even more when I can read a non-native write an intelligible paragraph in English better than someone in my own timezone. Assuming I'm back in the States...
    I speak two languages fluently and a third I can get by enough to make friends and go for drinks. Currently trying to pick up Malayalam but that's gonna be a while...a very long while perhaps.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast