Where to Start...
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Tech Convert

Default Where to Start...

So I'm brand new (about 3 days) into DJing. Basically needed a hobby (hard to play drums in an apartment). Got a VCI-100SE, Audio 2, Traktor Pro, and no idea where to start! :eek:

I was just wondering if some of you guys could point me in the right way to get started (tutorials, dvd's, books, etc.). Basically where/how to learn the basics of being a DJ.

This question has probably been asked a lot, but I didn't really find anything clicking around in the forums....

Haha dude welcome to the forums!

Don't worry, I started just like you did, asking the same EXACT question and wondering the same thing. I took the dive as well, and for the first 10 minutes I was terrified. I was like "shit, I just blew $1000 on stuff ill never touch."

Then I read a post / reply that said "just put in two tracks and have fun with it. Just mess around with EVERYTHING." and I literally just took two random tracks, and started just going track to track to track and after I put in each track at first I just enjoyed listening, then I started messing with all the buttons. 15 minutes later I was having a blast. Well actually, I thought it was 15 minutes later - it turned out that I had been "mixing" for 5 hours straght without realizing it.

I suggest you do the same! Just take two tracks and let one play, then mix it into the other to the best of your ability and keep on going!

You have come to and started at the perfect place. You will not find a larger knowledge base anywhere! Thanks to DJTT I am where I am - I started 4 months ago, and now I spin on my schools radio station and I am looking into getting club gigs.

If you have any questions just continue to ask and look around! I suggest looking around first, but always always ask if you can't. Honestly, just feel free to personal message me with ANY and ALL questions. I'll answer them to the best of my ability!

Edit: Just noticed you're in So.Cali too! A lot of us are based outta here, we're going to have a DJTT store meeting on the 19th of March I believe!

Welcome to the magnificent world of DJing and my second home DJ Tech Tools!

-Kunal

Welcome to the forum!

Start by going through the FAQ sticky thread on the general discussion section of this forum. It links you to a lot of useful threads and articles. Watch all the videos on ean golden's youtube channel and read as much of the blog as you can! It's categorised so you can find the tutorials very easily.

Good luck!
    TSP 2 | Serato DJ | Live 8 | MBP (SSD + HDD) | AIAIA TMA-1 Fool's Gold Edition | 1200 Mk2s | MidiFighter | KRK RP5
    Xone: DB4 | Pioneer CDJ-2000 Nexus
    DJTT FAQ | Read my guide to AUDIO CABLES

Quote Originally Posted by fullenglishpint View Post
    Welcome to the forum!

Start by going through the FAQ sticky thread on the general discussion section of this forum. It links you to a lot of useful threads and articles. Watch all the videos on ean golden's youtube channel and read as much of the blog as you can! It's categorised so you can find the tutorials very easily.

Good luck!
    I agree with everything English said . Just don't be too scared or nervous to start mixing and pressing buttons! Then as you go along go through tutorials and such, but honestly i'd first just start messing with the VCI. I'd take two tracks and just go at it. Do whatever. Just to get the feel of it !

Useful books would be DJing for Dummies (apparently - I've never read it) and How to DJ Properly by Bill Brewster.

Just be passionate about the music you love, don't rip off the artists making the tunes, and never play a 'filler' track just because it's convenient to move from one track to another ...

At the end of the day, track selection counts for more than any other skill - the rest is just fluffing.

Enjoy yourself
    Traktor Scratch Pro 2/Serato SL1/Ecler NUO 3.0/VCI 100 SE/2 x Technics 1210 Mk2/Sennheiser HD25 II/Novation Dicers

forum member JesC would recommend grabbing a copy of new order's blue monday and loading it into deck A and also into deck B in traktor and continue mixing it into each other to get the hang of beatmatching and blending as a starting point.

edit: also check out youtube and search for a user called ellaskins. he has a lot of beginner oriented tutorials - however he uses more 'traditional' gear (cdj's, turntables, and a mixer) however all the fundamental principals still apply to you with your vci-100.

Hey,

Danny Rampling's new book is excellent, especially for the beginner, as is DJing for Dummies.

For somthing downloadable you could try DJ Master Course which has some video tuts and an ebook.

Again, elleaskins on Youtube has literally thousands of videos... so many great options!

Tech Convert

Thanks for the responses guys.. I've just been messing with the VCI, learning the mapping and stuff to get a feel for where everything's at. While simultaneously creating the worst mix in history..oh well, had to start somewhere

2nd the Bill Brewster book
    DJTT Nu Disco Mix Train Vol 1
    beats and balearic bobs in north-west london
    iTunes podcast
    soundcloud

Quote Originally Posted by steveo1313 View Post
    Thanks for the responses guys.. I've just been messing with the VCI, learning the mapping and stuff to get a feel for where everything's at. While simultaneously creating the worst mix in history..oh well, had to start somewhere
    Just keep on going Everyone's first mix sounds like 5 sneakers in the dryer. Just like Cold Fuzion said the first time I got it right was like 4 hours into it that felt like 30 minutes. I'll buy a comfy stool with back support for my hours long jammings.

Also try some "easy" music first like electrohouse since it's 4/4 most of the time and can get you to practice rhythm.
    Erase. Stop. Start.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast