How do you help your local music community?

Default How do you help your local music community?

So I was reading through THIS thread started by Liambo and I actually got to thinking about this comment from Jason Cerna; "what can i do to improve the scene where I live?"

Pretty good question really. As a bedroom DJ that moved towns I fell out of the scene I was comfortable with and haven't really participated in anything locally.

So I'll throw a slightly different question out to the djtechtools community.
    What do you do to improve the local scene where you live? (other than putting healthy amounts of money across the bar at shows/clubs).

I know we have partiers/performers/producers/event organisers etc. here, so I imagine there is a wealth of knowledge to be shared, and maybe even some inspiration for others.
    Last edited by dafe; 02-24-2011 at 11:09 PM.

I play out for free on off nights during the week and always support the other local DJs even if i'm not into their music. When bands are playing I pay the cover regardless of how well I know the door man. If the music is good I let them know...and the venue owners. I give away gear that I can't or am unwilling to sell. If I have really bad gas I have to courtesy to go outside :/

I'm in AD now though and have danced to only one good DJ at a place called Rush. It's hyper expensive drink wise but nonetheless chatted up the DJ after hours. Most other places here really suck.

Tech Wizard

I get the bitches, so other Djs have more practice time

Good thread..

Well i suppose i could say i bring good music to their ears which they seem to enjoy

But apart from that i advertise good club nights that's going on even if i don't particularly like the DJ's that's doing the night, simply because its good music!

I try and help out new up and coming DJ's and also people are always ask 'What's the version of *insert song* that you play in Deja Vu (the Nightclub i resident at)' so help people out by giving track lists and stuff.

Tech Wizard

Thats a great question because I have a problem where I live (UK, Northeast) there is no scene at all for D&B or Dubstep in my town, the nearest place that has a scene is 30 miles away so its hard to meet promoter's who put on nights. Most of the time they have given the slots to there friends.

I miss playing set out live to a crowd, I used to resident a local festival but the law shut that down, I would love to start my own night/event but don't have the organisational skills or the money for that.

Im actively trying to help out and get a foot in my local D&B scene.

Unfortunately the promoter I offer all my services to; flyering, playing for free, setup / teardown, etc go unheard. I guess he's got loads of other people that can also do it for free to get a foot in.

Ive near enough given up trying to help him. So I hand out free demo's at his night, talk shop, pay the cover, invite all my mates and it all amounts to nothing!

I'd love to start a local night, even if its just one gig to see how much work it is. But I really need another dnb/dub dj in my local area who's committed.
    Ecler NUO 3.0, 2 1210mk2, midi fighter, Kontrol X1, Akai LPD8, Reloop RHP10's, TSP, Audio 8

Howitzer on Soundcloud | Howitzer on Twitter | Howitzer on Facebook | Howitzer dnb blog

I(we)'ve began throwing themed parties, Generally for free. Something a bit different than the usual club stars and thugs stuff. (to an extent, hippy vibe parties, without all the hippies.

i am playing for free on the radio tonite
    Dj F.a.R.h.A.n
    hip hop, house, reggaeton, dancehall, afrobeats, and international.