[OT] Broken Ribs....Who's got em? [OT]
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Tech Guru

Default [OT] Broken Ribs....Who's got em? [OT]

Well guys, I broke one of my ribs last Tuesday and I am having a hard time doing anything. Got any tips for sleeping, sitting, brushing teeth e.t.c.

This is horrible, I layed down in my bed tonight for the first time since it broke. At the moment I am back on the couch sitting upright because I kept coughing and the pain is ridiculous.

Also I am on some crazy pain meds that give me wacky dreams and I generally wake up muttering words!
    :: Kontrol Z2 :: :: Technics 1200 :: :: Pioneer DJM 250 :: Kontrol X1 MkII :: :: Maschine :: :: Kontrol S4 ::

Tech Guru

damn brother....your still out of commission from that shit.

Johnny Walker might do the trick!!!!
    SSL - DJM 800 - Technic 1200's - X1 - ITCH - NS6 - VCI-300

Nothing you can do except sit this one out I'm afraid. If you can can an Ibrupfofen-impregnated plaster (sold as Trans-Act in South Africa) - they are a godsend. Always keep a pillow/cushion at hand for coughing/sneezing etc to brace against. There is a nerve in each intercostal space (the gap between the ribs) that is freaking out - hence the pain. The meds contain codeine (or an even stronger opiate derivative) - that's what is making you mad. A trade off - pain vs. hallucinations. Hang in there mate - it gets better (slowly).

It takes forever to heal i broke two when i bro pushed me down the stairs, took about 5 weeks for the pain to ease to a reasonable level. I slept in an arm chair, for as long as i could, cause it was the only comfortable position. just take it easy
    Here's Where I Put My Stuff Remix's/Mix's/and............. Genrally Madness

Sound Cloud :: http://soundcloud.com/herbstrike
    FaceBook :: http://www.facebook.com/pages/HerbSt...2547446?ref=ts

get well soon mate!
    Acer E5 i7 16GB 512SSD 2TBHD ~ WIN 10 ~ TSP 2.11 ~ AUDIO 6 ~ DUAL X1s ~ DN-X1600 ~ SPECTRA ~ TWISTER ~ ATH-PRO500 MK2 ~ ZED6FX ~ AT2020

" I’m the Dude, so that’s what you call me. That or, uh His Dudeness, or uh Duder, or El Duderino, if you’re not into the whole brevity thing. "

DJTT Infectious Moderator photojojo's Avatar

Broken ribs suck, especially when your three days out on a dirt bike. The last couple of times I suffered through it and never went to the doc because I knew he was just going to tell me suck it up and give me an expensive prescription.

During the day I'll just take Aleve, that seems to work better than Ibuprofen for bone pain for me. At night I'll take 100mg of Diphenhydramine (Benadryl) to help me sleep and a couple of Aleve. DO NOT MIX THE CODEINE AND BENADRYL!!!! I think the fact that I was sleeping in a cot might have actually helped me the last time though due to the fact that I couldn't move around much in my sleep.

EDIT: the nice part of having broken ribs on a three day dirtbike trip is that if I ever dropped the bike someone else picked it up for me. And the one time I got a flat I watched everybody else fix it.
    Chris Jennings FHP

Podcast - Soundcloud - Mixcloud - Beatport Charts - x

Quote Originally Posted by photojojo View Post
    Broken ribs suck, especially when your three days out on a dirt bike. The last couple of times I suffered through it and never went to the doc because I knew he was just going to tell me suck it up and give me an expensive prescription.

During the day I'll just take Aleve, that seems to work better than Ibuprofen for bone pain for me. At night I'll take 100mg of Diphenhydramine (Benadryl) to help me sleep and a couple of Aleve. DO NOT MIX THE CODEINE AND BENADRYL!!!! I think the fact that I was sleeping in a cot might have actually helped me the last time though due to the fact that I couldn't move around much in my sleep.

EDIT: the nice part of having broken ribs on a three day dirtbike trip is that if I ever dropped the bike someone else picked it up for me. And the one time I got a flat I watched everybody else fix it.
    A REAL dirt biker would pick up his AND everyone elses' WHILST fixing a flat (kidding photojojo). Codeine is the only analgaesic that will give relief. But heed photojojo's warning - don't mix with other meds. Also bring out the Kellogs All Bran - codeine bungs you up!

Tech Guru

Thanks for the tips guys...this is horrible. I got some good pain meds but as soon as they wear off I feel like some one is stabbing me in the chest. On that note, let me take my pills before the 5 hours is up! I slept through a dose and woke up to some crazy pain. At least I have this great community to chat with at 4am!

"Get all your computer, dj and medical related questions answered on DJTT! " - new slogan?
    :: Kontrol Z2 :: :: Technics 1200 :: :: Pioneer DJM 250 :: Kontrol X1 MkII :: :: Maschine :: :: Kontrol S4 ::

DJTT Administrator del Ritmo padi_04's Avatar

In DJTT we trust!

Tech Guru

@ HerbStrike - I slept in an arm chair for the first 4 nights. At this point I alternate between chair and couch, I use pillows to prop me up about 45degrees.

@JonathanBlake - You weren't kidding about the bran, I feel as dry as a sponge in the desert.

@Haze - I had my kids 4th birthday party yesterday and was dodging hugs and handshakes all day. The big suck! - I also thought about drinking but I may end up somewhere butt naked in the woods due the fact that my prescription is like a double strength percoset.

@photojojo - Dude to ride a bike after busting a few ribs is intense. You're a rugged maniac...Respect on that, getting off the couch is a bitch for me.

padi and Jester - Thanks for caring!

We are one big twisted happy family.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast