Speakers (Bedroom DJ) - Page 3
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by popoff44 View Post
    I've had those for some time. The built-in amplifier was making so much noise, I just couldn't live with it. It was driving me insane. Still don't understand how you can have those in a studio. If nothing is playing all you hear is this loud sharp buzzing as long as the speakers are on. I had to return mine and went for a pair of KRK Rokit 6 (G2) which also have some humming noise from the amplifier, but it's very soft and completely bearable. If you don't believe me, just do a search for "humming" or "noise" on M-Audio forums and you'll see what I mean
    Thanks! you just saved me a lot of $.

Quote Originally Posted by popoff44 View Post
    I've had those for some time. The built-in amplifier was making so much noise, I just couldn't live with it. It was driving me insane. Still don't understand how you can have those in a studio. If nothing is playing all you hear is this loud sharp buzzing as long as the speakers are on. I had to return mine and went for a pair of KRK Rokit 6 (G2) which also have some humming noise from the amplifier, but it's very soft and completely bearable. If you don't believe me, just do a search for "humming" or "noise" on M-Audio forums and you'll see what I mean
    mate of mine has them and hasn't had problems.
    TSP 2 | Serato DJ | Live 8 | MBP (SSD + HDD) | AIAIA TMA-1 Fool's Gold Edition | 1200 Mk2s | MidiFighter | KRK RP5
    Xone: DB4 | Pioneer CDJ-2000 Nexus
    DJTT FAQ | Read my guide to AUDIO CABLES

There great, but too small. Can't get a good and thorough bass out of it.

I would recommend the Mackie MR-5 for better sound, or better yet, get MR8s.
    (5" is better than the 4" of the PM0.4)
    RSTRCTD | twitter | facebook (RSTRCTD) facebook (LJ) | vimeo | pinterest | my studio | soundcloud (RSTRCTD)| soundcloud (LJ)
    -- CHECK our DEBUT (DEEP)HOUSE EP RELEASE ON BEATPORT "RSTRCTD - EXISTENCE" --

Price difference on KRK RP5G2 Rokit G2 and Alis M1 520 in South Africa is R200 (about 20 euros - priced at about 270 euros) - so there isn't much in it - so -
    KRK's or Alis's?

[@ Tekki - love the Mackie's, but out of my budget]
    Last edited by JonathanBlake; 03-06-2011 at 10:56 AM. Reason: addition

I ordered a pair of RP5s yesterday from decks.co.uk. Went into the store but they didn't have them in stock, got to test them alongside the 6s though and they really hold their own. Amazing quality for 5 inch monitors at that price.

Tried out the VXT series while I was there and my god, they have punch. if anyone's after a pair of VXT8s they have some B-grade ones in the sale with only cosmetic damage to the box (speakers pristine) for about £350 each.

They also had a pair of 15" PA cabs with broken tweeters for £30. I was seriously tempted to pick them up as a project but I knew I'd never get round to it!
    TSP 2 | Serato DJ | Live 8 | MBP (SSD + HDD) | AIAIA TMA-1 Fool's Gold Edition | 1200 Mk2s | MidiFighter | KRK RP5
    Xone: DB4 | Pioneer CDJ-2000 Nexus
    DJTT FAQ | Read my guide to AUDIO CABLES

anyone ever use the iKey monitors?
    /人◕‿‿◕人\
    --Its not the OS, It's the user--

Tech Guru

I was doing a test of monitors in a shop last week. Had a vs listening on:
    KRK 5
    KRK 6
    KRK 8
    M-Audio BX5a
    M-Audio BX8a
    Yamaha HS50M
    Yamaha HS80M

The 8s are too large for my room and space, but I wanted to know what I will be missing if I have 5s.

The HS50M & HS80M have the best clarity and balance from all above. I'm going with the HS50M, although their low-end is poorer than all the others.

I can strongly suggest the HS50M for low budget monitors!
    PROS: Very accurate, clear and detailed sound!
    CONS: Weaker bass (need a sub if you want to hear the low spectrum) and nothing similar to the average club sound - high quality sound is not always better ...

BX5a is a good budget alternative IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by JonathanBlake View Post
    Price difference on KRK RP5G2 Rokit G2 and Alis M1 520 in South Africa is R200 (about 20 euros - priced at about 270 euros) - so there isn't much in it - so -
    KRK's or Alis's?

[@ Tekki - love the Mackie's, but out of my budget]
    Damn, over here I believe the KRK RP5s are even more expensive than the Mackie MR5s?
    (Have a look at Thomann.de. )
    RSTRCTD | twitter | facebook (RSTRCTD) facebook (LJ) | vimeo | pinterest | my studio | soundcloud (RSTRCTD)| soundcloud (LJ)
    -- CHECK our DEBUT (DEEP)HOUSE EP RELEASE ON BEATPORT "RSTRCTD - EXISTENCE" --

DJTT Infectious Moderator photojojo's Avatar

I scored a brand new pair of MR5's for $200 last month. They're fantastic for my small space.
    Chris Jennings FHP

Podcast - Soundcloud - Mixcloud - Beatport Charts - x

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast