stupid computer question about processor upgrades...

Default stupid computer question about processor upgrades...

this is a really stupid question but if someone could steer me in the right direction that would be awesome.
    ive got an older laptop, and its fast enough to run maschine with no hiccups or serato itch with no hiccups but not fast enough to run both at once, so i am trying to evaluate if i should buy a new laptop or if upgrading my laptop will be cheaper/just as effective.

right now i am using a laptop with 1gb ram with this processor: http://products.amd.com/%28S%28yqhdy...6=&f7=&f8=&f9=

the max i can upgrade my computer to is 4gb ram and this processor: http://products.amd.com/%28S%28lni1y...6=&f7=&f8=&f9=

so, should i just buy a new laptop or upgrade?

Just get a new laptop. at this point, a 32bit system is essentially obsolete. (im assuming thats why you can only get 4 gbs of ram in it.) Really, all you need is 400 bucks and an ebay account and you can get something way better. Make sure it has at least 2 gbs of ram and a 2.0 ghz processor (core 2 duo or better)

Tech Guru

Its a whole lot cheaper but not as effective. There is little differences between the two cpus, I don't think you would get much more "umphf!" to run both of the programs as you would like.

That 1 GB of ram isn't gonna do it for ya. I think you could sqeeze by with 2, but prefer 4+GBs.

Perhaps you can find a new refurbished laptop with a triple or quad core processor. If you can't afford a really good laptop, make sure you buy something with a cpu socket type that will allow you to upgrade later.

If your run both programs and open the task manager. You can determine if your cpu and or ram is maxing out. Maybe you'll get lucky and its just the ram.

Quote Originally Posted by Garygary1 View Post
    Just get a new laptop. at this point, a 32bit system is essentially obsolete. (im assuming thats why you can only get 4 gbs of ram in it.)

32-bit OS is limited to 3GB of RAM, regardless of how much is physically present.

Tech Guru

1st question is have you ever taken a laptop appart and put it back together again. It a damn sight harder than a tower PC which is a piece of cake. My granny could do that. There is alot of small screws in a laptop.

Upgrading the ram should be easy they are normally easy to get to. Maybe just do this.

you can save proccessor power easily aswell. If your on 7 or vista ditch it and go back to xp. that will save you a shead load of cpu cycles. remember with 4gig of ram, virtually everything will be stored in ram and you wont have to use any virtual memory.

Then you can create a custom shell and use a 3rd party app launcher like novell's to launch the 2 programs. That should run them fine