Drum & Bass Mix - Cognitive Lapse
    Moderator of Silly Walks Citizen_Insane's Avatar

Default Drum & Bass Mix - Cognitive Lapse

Finally got around to recording another hour long drum & bass mix so here it is:

This one is overall pretty chilled out but there are still some heavy rollers and dance floor smashers on it.

Feedback, as always is appreciated. Enjoy!

Tracklist:

Feel My Pain - Dillinja
    Realities - Mode
    11 Circles - Consequence
    Suffer In Silence - Alix Perez feat. Zero T
    My War - Rockwell
    Ease Forward - Noisia & Joe Seven
    Hear My Call - Dom & Roland
    Broken Silence - Siren
    Don't Look Down - Break feat. Calyx & Teebee
    Spartan Law - Bladerunner
    Gridlock - Ram Trilogy - Break Remix
    Dessert - Neonlight & Miss Redflower
    Envious Eyes - B Key
    Falling Through - Noisia & Spor
    Fakin' Jacks - Rockwell
    All That We Are - Ulterior Motive & FD
    Prayer - Burial
    Stars - All Thieves - Zero T Remix
    DJ Friendly Unit Shifter - Rockwell
    Saturday - Stray
    The Reward - KUNG (in all fuckin' caps)
    New Bourne - Audio
    The Suffering - Robyn Chaos & B Key
    Cold Champagne - Phace
    One Chance - Enei
    Omissions - Noisia
    Traktor Pro, VCM 600, Custom Midi Fighter, Presonus Firebox, Ultrasone DJ1 Pro
    http://soundcloud.com/citizen_insane/
    Quote Originally Posted by photojojo View Post
    All these subgenre's are like the grandchildren of disco with dubstep and D&B being the bad kids that smoke cigarettes and are in and out of jail.

On the pod
    Acer E5 i7 16GB 512SSD 2TBHD ~ WIN 10 ~ TSP 2.11 ~ AUDIO 6 ~ DUAL X1s ~ DN-X1600 ~ SPECTRA ~ TWISTER ~ ATH-PRO500 MK2 ~ ZED6FX ~ AT2020

" I’m the Dude, so that’s what you call me. That or, uh His Dudeness, or uh Duder, or El Duderino, if you’re not into the whole brevity thing. "

Looks like my kinda music! On it
    Ecler NUO 3.0, 2 1210mk2, midi fighter, Kontrol X1, Akai LPD8, Reloop RHP10's, TSP, Audio 8

Howitzer on Soundcloud | Howitzer on Twitter | Howitzer on Facebook | Howitzer dnb blog

Ive given it a good listen. I listened with a very critical ear, as I would with my own mixes, so these are picky comments

Comments next to the track relate to the mix into the next song down the list.

Tracklist:

Feel My Pain - Dillinja
    Realities - Mode
    11 Circles - Consequence - nice chilled blend out
    Suffer In Silence - Alix Perez feat. Zero T - Watch the bass, nearly clashing. key locked? Good phrasing
    My War - Rockwell - Nice mix
    Ease Forward - Noisia & Joe Seven - Lovely mix with the drums, really amps the energy
    Hear My Call - Dom & Roland - good key match, nice mix
    Broken Silence - Siren - Too much bass on incoming, too much mids on outgoing. Needs a faster cut out
    Don't Look Down - Break feat. Calyx & Teebee - Nice mix, the tunes blend well. Nice mix out
    Spartan Law - Bladerunner - another good mix!
    Gridlock - Ram Trilogy - Break Remix - nice key match & blend
    Dessert - Neonlight & Miss Redflower - bit of a long transition, loses energy.
    Envious Eyes - B Key - loses energy
    Falling Through - Noisia & Spor - straight in with the mix! I love these two tunes together too , watch the bass, getting pretty muddy. Have you tried with with Ease Forward? Really good together, great for bass switching
    Fakin' Jacks - Rockwell - Good mix
    All That We Are - Ulterior Motive & FD - good mix, drops the energy right down
    Prayer - Burial - nice key match, watch the bass, starting to get muddy.
    Stars - All Thieves - Zero T Remix - nice mix in with the breakdown, my fave part of the song for sure. Mix works well, theres a lot going on with the mids though.
    DJ Friendly Unit Shifter - Rockwell - nice mix, loses energy
    Saturday - Stray - nice mix, picks up the energy again
    The Reward - KUNG (in all fuckin' caps) - dont know these tunes, but the mixing sounded tight, good work
    New Bourne - Audio
    Cold Champagne - Phace - good key match, outgoing cuts quite sharply
    One Chance - Enei - Overlaying drums sound nice, add much needed energy to one chance. Good mix.
    Omissions - Noisia

overall:
    youre relying on breakdowns to transition too much, how about dropping the incoming directly when the outgoing drops into the breakdown. Less dead air that way & keeps the energy up. I guess thats just personal preference though.
    Youve got the whole lot nicely key matched so theres no reason you couldnt mix these faster and do more layering.

Also, watch the bass. It gets a bit much sometimes. Personally I find with dnb I cannot have 2 tracks with full bass at one time. I HAVE to kill bass out of one track. Do you practice with a sub woofer?

Good track selection too, cant fault it, some proper sexy beats in there.

Good work on the beatmatching too, thats if you beatmatch. If not, you got those grids proper tight.

I hope all that comes across as constructive criticism. Keep up the good work
    Ecler NUO 3.0, 2 1210mk2, midi fighter, Kontrol X1, Akai LPD8, Reloop RHP10's, TSP, Audio 8

Howitzer on Soundcloud | Howitzer on Twitter | Howitzer on Facebook | Howitzer dnb blog

Really enjoyed this man. Nice n dark but not too hard for my tastes, fantastic
    Acer E5 i7 16GB 512SSD 2TBHD ~ WIN 10 ~ TSP 2.11 ~ AUDIO 6 ~ DUAL X1s ~ DN-X1600 ~ SPECTRA ~ TWISTER ~ ATH-PRO500 MK2 ~ ZED6FX ~ AT2020

" I’m the Dude, so that’s what you call me. That or, uh His Dudeness, or uh Duder, or El Duderino, if you’re not into the whole brevity thing. "

Quote Originally Posted by Flash101uk View Post
    Ive given it a good listen. I listened with a very critical ear, as I would with my own mixes, so these are picky comments

Comments next to the track relate to the mix into the next song down the list.

Tracklist:

Feel My Pain - Dillinja
    Realities - Mode
    11 Circles - Consequence - nice chilled blend out
    Suffer In Silence - Alix Perez feat. Zero T - Watch the bass, nearly clashing. key locked? Good phrasing
    My War - Rockwell - Nice mix
    Ease Forward - Noisia & Joe Seven - Lovely mix with the drums, really amps the energy
    Broken Silence - Siren - Too much bass on incoming, too much mids on outgoing. Needs a faster cut out
    Don't Look Down - Break feat. Calyx & Teebee - Nice mix, the tunes blend well. Nice mix out
    Spartan Law - Bladerunner - another good mix!
    Gridlock - Ram Trilogy - Break Remix - nice key match & blend
    Falling Through - Noisia & Spor - straight in with the mix! I love these two tunes together too , watch the bass, getting pretty muddy. Have you tried with with Ease Forward? Really good together, great for bass switching
    Fakin' Jacks - Rockwell - Good mix
    All That We Are - Ulterior Motive & FD - good mix, drops the energy right down
    Stars - All Thieves - Zero T Remix - nice mix in with the breakdown, my fave part of the song for sure. Mix works well, theres a lot going on with the mids though.
    DJ Friendly Unit Shifter - Rockwell - nice mix, loses energy
    Saturday - Stray - nice mix, picks up the energy again
    The Reward - KUNG (in all fuckin' caps) - dont know these tunes, but the mixing sounded tight, good work
    New Bourne - Audio
    Cold Champagne - Phace - good key match, outgoing cuts quite sharply
    One Chance - Enei - Overlaying drums sound nice, add much needed energy to one chance. Good mix.
    Omissions - Noisia

overall:
    youre relying on breakdowns to transition too much, how about dropping the incoming directly when the outgoing drops into the breakdown. Less dead air that way & keeps the energy up. I guess thats just personal preference though.
    Youve got the whole lot nicely key matched so theres no reason you couldnt mix these faster and do more layering.

Also, watch the bass. It gets a bit much sometimes. Personally I find with dnb I cannot have 2 tracks with full bass at one time. I HAVE to kill bass out of one track. Do you practice with a sub woofer?

Good work on the beatmatching too, thats if you beatmatch. If not, you got those grids proper tight.

Dude, awesome contructive criticism!

This is the kind of stuff I would pay for, haha!

Totally agreee on your one tracks bass theory for DnB.

Have both tracks with 1/2 bass really mutes the energy that the baseline from either track is trying to portray.

So pick witch track has the favored baseline, or whitchever one feels right for the mix and mute the other one.

Once I started mixing with a big sub, this became EXTREMELY apparent.
    I'm addicted to WoW.

Please do not bother me about being a productive member of society.

Default Monstrously huuuuge response :P

Quote Originally Posted by Flash101uk View Post
    Thanks man, first let me say I really appreciate the in-depth commentary. It's really helpful.

Yes it was keylocked, hoped to create some tension by being almost clashing.
    One of my personal favourite parts was bringing in this tune.
    Strange cause I brought it in with a low-pass filter... agreed it might have required a faster cut out... I left it in so I could bring in Spartan Law while still having a consistant drum beat.
    Was dropping energy slightly on purpose, particularly using Envious Eyes as a sort of "intermission".
    Never tried it with Ease Forward, will have to.... it causes absolute mayhem with Timewarp VIP by Sub Focus.
    Noted.
    Yeah, I really like the track.
    Thanks, I normally mix the darker drum & bass.
    Cheers
    overall:
    I was trying to go for more of a chilled out and slower vibe with this mix... I normally mix a little faster than this.
    Thanks, I don't use any key analysis software aside from my ears.
    My sub is currently out of commission for several months now, so I recorded this without a sub, and from your comments, that really shows in some places.

Thanks, while they may not all be the newest tunes, I tried to make sure they were quality.

Only about 1/2 of it was my beatmatching, but I generally make sure my grids are tight.

Definitely came across as constructive criticism and I gotta say I really appreciate it. Think I'm ready to be trying to get some more proper gigs? I've played several house parties and the occasional club gig... but I'm thinking of trying to get a residency for the summer.
    All these subgenre's are like the grandchildren of disco with dubstep and D&B being the bad kids that smoke cigarettes and are in and out of jail.

Quote Originally Posted by exokinetic View Post
    Dude, awesome contructive criticism!

This is the kind of stuff I would pay for, haha!
    Haha, I know eh? I guess I'm just lucky to get it for free

Quote Originally Posted by Jester.NZ View Post
    Really enjoyed this man. Nice n dark but not too hard for my tastes, fantastic
    Thanks Jester, I really appreciate the feedback.