Beginner DJ

Thread: Beginner DJ

Default Beginner DJ

Hello All,

I am very new to DJing and I am looking for any advice I can get on where to start. I appreciate anyone who will spend the time to give this post a look. Right now, I am using using Virtual DJ on my PC. I have two sound cards installed which allows me to cue up separate tracks in my headphones. Since Virtual DJ is the first software I have ever actually used, I am somewhat lost in understanding the degree of it's inadequacy or if it is even inadequate.

Furthermore, since I plan to DJ off of my PC, I have come to the realization that I likely need an external controller. What controller would you recommend for a beginner? I've taken a look at the VCI-100 (which I assume is promoted by this forum) and I am really impressed. However, at the same time, I'm somewhat sensitive to price and unsure if I should spend that much money on a first external controller. What advice would guys give?

As for software, I've seen some demonstrations via online videos of Traktor 3, but I haven't actually had the opportunity to try it. Should I be investing in new software before I invest in hardware?

-100% Novice Juice

Thank you for your responses.

look at the m-audio x session pro, basic controller only 100 bucks enough to get your feet wet then if you feel you out grown it buy a new one.

i have one and its a trooper, been dropped, thrown around running from cops, beer spills and tequila and still works
    www.myspace.com/djxsquizet
    my arsenal:
    2x vestax pdx, numark dxm09, m-audio x session pro, and ableton live 6.

I spin hip hop/electro/top 40

my 10minmix video
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oqAgSmaG4zM

Tech Mentor

+1 for what xsquizet said, can't go wrong with the x-session pro. A Korg nano pad might be nice too. Download some demos of software and see what you like. There is heaps of info provided by Ean and everyone else on this forum.

Traktor and Ableton seem to be the major players when it comes to digital djing on this forum. Both have their pro's and con's.....*waits for the backlash* eeeekkkk! who says you can't be different though. Whatever works best for you. Watch Eans videos even if it's the techy stuff that you may not understand, just have a look to get an idea of how it all works.

It's not how good your hardware or software is, it's how you use it that counts! read/research/watch/practice/LISTEN and get involved with others that are doing the same. Oh and when you get to play out...don't suck! haha, digital djing still gets enough unwarranted flak as it is....Praying to the E. Golden God before you sleep every night helps.

Coming on here is a good start. HAVE FUN!
    Macbook 2Ghz, 4Gb Ram, Presonus Firebox, X-Session Pro, Behringer BCR2000, Technics RPDJ-1200's.

+1

Experiment. I've made even Serato sound like I wasn't using Serato. You can be inventive with midi control to enough of a level that people wont even care what software you use. It depends on what your needs are. If you're a vinyl DJ to start, I'd suggest slowly going to Digital DJing. I've been a vinyl DJ for years, so serato was a perfect growth point for me to move to digital. If you're starting fresh, move to the software that best fits your needs!

as far as midit control? head to guitar center or your favorite shop and just play! mess around with equipment. I love guitar center because they'll open anything I want and let me mess around with it before I buy anything!
    Monika.mhz - I do things. Also stuff.
    -------------------
    Read the F.A.Q!
    Articles: Streamline Your Laptop for Djs(Windows)

Thank you to everyone who has responded so quickly. I truly do appreciate it. I think this forum is growing on me. As for the m-audio x session pro, I think I will certainly look into it. I would love to know if anyone else could recommend something comparable to the m-audio x session pro. As for software, am I to assume that virtual dj is not a bad place to be at? I really want to keep moving to the next level.

i know that it's a bit more complicated than vdj but i'd suggest you to just try out the traktor pro demo (to all you ableton-lovers: traktor pro is more like virtual dj ). then just play around with it (maybe get the x-session and a traktor pro mapping for it first, then you can really play around with the software).

if you really want to take it to the next level you won't get around a new software, as vdj isn't bad at all, but there are a lot of things which are limiting and if you want to get over the limits then you'll have to learn a new software - i think it's better to learn now than to learn when you get stuck.

MBP, 10.5.6, TPro 2.0.1, Kontrol S4, VCI-300, a bunch of other makes-nerds-happy-stuff
    ...and still haven't got the heart to get rid of my Turntables, Mixer and my Vinyls
    Reggae, Ragga, Dancehall, Chill Out, Dubstep, Breaks, Drum & Bass

Retired DJTT Moderator DvlsAdvct's Avatar

onetencx, welcome to the DJTT forum. I hope you get a lot of the answers your need here to help you progress to be the DJ you're looking to be.

I'd definitely agree with DJMoniker. Go to a Guitar Center and ask them if you can play around with a few controllers cause you're shopping for the best. I'd recommend trying at least three different kinds to get an idea of how they are different. The VCI-100, the XPonent and the X-Session Pro might be some good places to start. Also, download demos of the softwares you are looking at so you can at least poke aroundw ith their workflow. If you don't own turntables or CD decks then Serato is pretty much out of the question for you. You can look at Itch, though, for use with MIDI controllers.

Just research and bring specific questions here. We're more than happy to help.
    It's the FAQ. Read it.

My Mixes, Mashups and Rants

Divided we stand
    United we fall

Tech Mentor

In terms of software I would check out Tracktor Pro and Deckadance (which recently got a new site). I myself still use VDJ sometimes as I can mix up tracks that I don't really know easily in it. It's what I started off using and it was a great way to learn the basics.

edit: where are you located? (country)
    obsidiance » breaks-drum'n'bass-big beats

i happen to have an m-audio x-session pro that i'm about to put up on ebay i think. it was definitely a great controller for starting out, but i don't really use it anymore after having gotten the vci-100.
    there's a lot of good info up in this thread already.