Voters
11. You may not vote on this poll
  • VCI-300 Users

8 72.73%
  • VCI-100 Users

3 27.27%
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Lack Of Support: Vci-300

I decided to get a Vci-300 after owning the Vci-100 for a few months now. I had no problems finding threads on information on the Vci-100 but now being on the other side of the fence, there's not much information on the Vci-300 to sift through. I was hoping that since the Vci-100 has it's own section of the forum, maybe a new section is in need for the Vci-300. That way it would be a lot easier for members of the forum that own either or both controllers to work together.

Ean, your doing a rock solid job, and thank you so much for all the support you've given this forum, I've only been here for a month or two but you in conjunction with the rest of the members here have really helped me out.

This question is for Ean, will you be releasing a Tsi for the Vci-300 anytime soon or are you working on one?
    Setup: VCI-300, Black Macbook 2.4ghz Dual core, 4gb Ram, Traktor Pro/ Serato Itch, Telephone Headphones.

a section for the 300 would be really great!

ean is working on a tsi for the 300 (i believe he even mentioned he would be working on a firmware upgrade - but i'm not sure on that one), but he's taking so long that i built my own
    (no offence to you ean, i know you got a lot of work to do - my tsi is really bare, no special things and it took my a long time to build it)

got one question for you NateD though:
    why are you switching from the 100 to the 300? i'm just curious

MBP, 10.5.6, TPro 2.0.1, Kontrol S4, VCI-300, a bunch of other makes-nerds-happy-stuff
    ...and still haven't got the heart to get rid of my Turntables, Mixer and my Vinyls
    Reggae, Ragga, Dancehall, Chill Out, Dubstep, Breaks, Drum & Bass

Tech Guru

Yes, a 300 section would be nice..

To answer your question Morbido:

I am switching over because I feel that the 300 has a bit more potential that the VCI-100. The VCI-100 is great, It's a solid platform and has been around longer than the VCI-300. There is a lot of support around the VCI-100 and correct me if I am wrong but at it's point in development where not much more can be done with it. The VCI-300 on the other hand is a new product and has little to no support, the people have barely broken through with new things for the controller. I've been secretly following some of the VCI-300 threads and see that people are starting to come out with TSI's and finding out different ways to use the 300 despite the lack of functions in Itch. I believe that the VCI-300 has a lot of potential, and in time the VCI-300 will rule the world... I mean suprise us all.

Also I'm am hoping that the serato to ableton bridge will come out in the NAMM show this year!

So Morbido, are you happy with your 300 and traktor pro? Also how is that nanocontrol working for you?
    Setup: VCI-300, Black Macbook 2.4ghz Dual core, 4gb Ram, Traktor Pro/ Serato Itch, Telephone Headphones.

i'm very happy with my 300 - it really lacks some controls, that's why i bought the nanoKontrol for it. i used the nanoKontrol for beatgridding songs, using fx and things like that but i didn't want to always have to carry the nanoKontrol around, so i thought about some creative ways to reuse the controls of the 300 to use fx and things like that. i just developed a (very simple and basic by now) tsi file that suits my needs - i left some things out (like manual pitch control) and packed some things instead (fx, changing beatgrids on the fly, ...), so the tsi has a limited usage but it works quite well for me.

now i have to think of a way to use my nanoKontrol - i guess i will bridge tpro into ableton and use the Kontrol for ableton fx and doing live mashups (the nanoKontrol was designed for ableton, it's a breeze to use them together).

as i don't need the 14 bit midi messages of the platters and pitchbend (as i only use them for fx right now) i don't think the 300 is the "superior" controller, i just like the nice clean surface and the built in soundcard. they should've built in some more knobs or ultimately some rotaries, then it would be the "superior" controller

i can't really tell the difference between the 100 and the 300 (in terms of usability), i tested both of them in a store and the 100 just didn't feel right for me - i'm happy with my 300 after all, so i think i got the right thing!

it's nice to see another (if only potential) 300 user - we need to have more support for this nice piece of technology, otherwise it can never rule the w.... i meant surprise us

MBP, 10.5.6, TPro 2.0.1, Kontrol S4, VCI-300, a bunch of other makes-nerds-happy-stuff
    ...and still haven't got the heart to get rid of my Turntables, Mixer and my Vinyls

Tech Guru

I like my 300 a lot.I mean at first I thought it was a little "toyish" looking, but now think it looks quite modern and futuristic. I think with a black Nano Kontrol it will be very powerful combo. What threads and links have others found on using 300 with Traktor besides here? I am also curious about Ableton and FX for Serato soon..I hope! One could also use an additional FW/USB sound card with the 300 and Traktor and have the 2 outs or 4 if cabled differently, and use it externally and use all the main eq knobs for fx, etc..
    Last edited by claudek; 01-04-2009 at 04:06 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by claudek View Post
    One could also use an additional FW/USB sound card with the 300 and Traktor and have the 2 outs or 4 if cabled differently, and use it externally and use all the main eq knobs for fx, etc..
    i also thought about that, but the problem i see is that you have more distance between e.g. the fx and the mixer - i like the idea of the vci's that you have all the controls you need right at your fingertips, if you use an external mixer you'll obviously have more possibilities, but also a greater distance between the controls...

i think i'm going to get a black nanoPad and see if i can "attach" this somehow to my 300, that would be really nice!

I completely agree with you Morbido. i have been using my 300 and I really can't tell the 2 apart except that the lack of knobs the 300 has vs the 100. I do however am in love with the simplicity of serato and the 300. I do however would love to have some effects, I don't know much about the serato ableton bridge but I'm going to read more into it. The 300 dose have some potential and I would love to see it being used to it's full capabilities but for right now, it's lacking a lot of support.

Would you mind sending me your tsi, it sounds interesting and I'd love to take it for a spin. What midi translator are you using btw?

I am also thinking of picking up a nanocontrol, or a nanopad and ableton to try and add some effects to serato. I was thinking of modifying a laptop stand, or use a clamp on stand with a shortened neck to clamp on to the top of the 300 with the nanocontrol attached. I should have one in a few weeks and I'll update you guys as I go.

Nate they have a mini translator for the VCI-300 for it can work with traktor & pro.

Its on the main page.
    Controllerist: Think different | SoundCloud | MixCloud | Twitter |

As far as i know there is no Serator/Ableton bridge right now - i don't think there's a way to connect Itch to Ableton or use FX with Itch somehow... You can assign your Midi Controls to Ableton so you can use the 300 to trigger Samples or Loops in Ableton while using Itch, but that's not really something great as they won't have the same tempo etc...

Personally i like the simplicity of Itch very much, but since i switched from manual beatmatching to syncing i fell in love with Traktor - it's easier to focus on things like harmonic structures, using FX, reading the crowd, ...

I could send you my .tsi file, but the problem is that even if it's a very basic tsi i guess you would need a video to get comfortable with it, well, at least some drawings of which controls do what

I'm still working on it, don't have much time now, but in February I have plenty of time, I guess i'm going to finish it first and then release it with some kind of explanation video.

The translator I use is the one found here, just the good old mini.translator.
    But I plan on getting Bome's and playing around with it a bit, but I'll get it when I've got the time to work with it, so that's another thing for my February schedule

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast