Beginner APC DJ setup - Ableton or Traktor?
    Tech Student

Default Beginner APC DJ setup - Ableton or Traktor?

Hey guys, I'm pretty new to DJing but I've been doing a whole lot of reading anything I can get my hands on, and I think I've got the basis of my setup going. Ideally I wanted to venture into production (and still do, that's why I bought the Live upgrade) but I'm more focused on Djing after watching some of Ean's videos among others! Digital is definitely the way to go, I've decided. I've already got a small but growing collection of tracks from when I discovered beatport 9 months ago.

Altogether I have:
    Macbook 2.4 Ghz (plans to max out my RAM soon)
    Akai APC20
    Akai LPD8
    M-Audio Keysation 88E
    and a pair of KRK Rokit 6s.

The KRKs are the newest addition, the APC and LPD8 I've been playing with for a couple months now.

I'm also running a full version of Live 8 that's been serving it's purpose quite well but I was curious about using a more traditional DJ software. From what I've read Traktor Pro would be perfect using one of the custom mappings floating around here. A local guy on Craigslist is selling his copy of Traktor Pro and an Audio 2 DJ sound card for $100. It seems like an awesome deal and would kind of tie up my kit. I was also thinking of a dedicated mixer, any ideas? I've seen a lot of good things written about the BCF2000, but I dunno if it's necessary. I'm really interested in doing a lot of beat and cue point juggling, mixing up tracks on the fly.

If I buy the copy of TP does he need to unregister it or anything?

Thanks guys

Welcome to the forum!

I'd say definitely go for that deal. In exactly 1 month they're releasing Traktor Pro 2 which has a reasonably cheap update price from TP1, and the A2DJ is a very good quality soundcard.

There's not necessarily any need to go for a mixer just yet since you have the faders on your APC, but it certainly wouldn't do any harm since it's not exactly designed for straight up 2 or 4 deck traditional mixing. You'd have better control of EQs etc.

Read the native instruments online support guide to handing over a licence, I don't think it's that difficult.
    TSP 2 | Serato DJ | Live 8 | MBP (SSD + HDD) | AIAIA TMA-1 Fool's Gold Edition | 1200 Mk2s | MidiFighter | KRK RP5
    Xone: DB4 | Pioneer CDJ-2000 Nexus
    DJTT FAQ | Read my guide to AUDIO CABLES

Tech Wizard

As someone who has an APC40, and has tried to use it for Traktor, here's my 2 cents:

With your setup, stick to Ableton. With Traktor you really want the streamlined 2 deck symmetrical experience (I don't know how else to word it).

But if you want something inexpensive to round out your setup, go with an X-Session Pro. Though these days, there are even better controllers out there that are pretty cheap.

Quote Originally Posted by biosyn View Post
    As someone who has an APC40, and has tried to use it for Traktor, here's my 2 cents:

With your setup, stick to Ableton. With Traktor you really want the streamlined 2 deck symmetrical experience (I don't know how else to word it).
    Good define !!
    Some body had to name it !!
    "2DSE" from now on, stands for: 2 deck symmetrical experience
    (sorry i had to remove "streamlined", to fit the 4 letter word category)

Controller: Reloop Digital Jockey Master Edition
    Laptop: Acer Travelmate 4101 Wlmi (WinXP)
    Dj Software: Traktor Pro

make sure that the guy has unregistered his Traktor pro. seriously

Tech Wizard

Quote Originally Posted by biosyn View Post

But if you want something inexpensive to round out your setup, go with an X-Session Pro. Though these days, there are even better controllers out there that are pretty cheap.
    I love my apc40 with traktor. As much if not more than my vci.

Quote Originally Posted by falseads View Post
    I love my apc40 with traktor. As much if not more than my vci.
    How do you search/scratch tha track with the APC40?

Controller: Reloop Digital Jockey Master Edition
    Laptop: Acer Travelmate 4101 Wlmi (WinXP)
    Dj Software: Traktor Pro