How much music do you buy?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default How much music do you buy?

How often and how much music do you guys buy? What is your selection process?

I usually browse music randomly throughout the month, then on or around pay day I narrow my selection down, and get it then. So, once or twice a month im getting new music. Plus, the occassional stuff i get from blogs. I spend between 50 and 100 each time - 20 to 50 tracks at time.

The problem is that it just doesn't seem like enough. Most of the time, i'm sick of my last batch of downloads by the time i'm getting the next set. I'm always looking at my selection and thinking, "i can't play this tired music, i need fresher tracks!"

So, i thought i'd hit u guys up and see how i compare to other DJs. Do you have similar experiences? How do u make sure you're buying a banger?

I get so many promos it's hard for me to weed through those in addition to buying music. But I still make it to my local shop every sunday to week through music, as well as poke around the internet. All in all i'd say i spend 100-200 a week on music.
    Monika.mhz - I do things. Also stuff.
    -------------------
    Read the F.A.Q!
    Articles: Streamline Your Laptop for Djs(Windows)

Retired DJTT Moderator DvlsAdvct's Avatar

I download 100 songs through eMusic a month, though that's about to go up to 200. Once every two months or so I'll spend around $200 at Beatport. I get some free promo CDs through the night I work at also, and trade some with friends of mine once in a while. Lately I've been spending more time organizing and playing than getting new music, instead I've been playing with older tracks in newer ways.

I wish there was a closer store for me to weed through tracks (NYC doesn't really have a lot of underground shops anymore), though once in a while I make it back to my mom's and hit up the used record store for massive options. I could easily spend $150 a week there on used and new CDs.

I find myself in a predicament that I get music faster than I can listen to it, though. So I have all this stuff and I haven't listened to all of it. But I'm changing that now.
    It's the FAQ. Read it.

My Mixes, Mashups and Rants

Divided we stand
    United we fall

every wee i go on itunes and buy what ever new hit comes out...usually what evers on there like top 10 lists or ill go on a radio web site and buy what ever songs are on there top 20 list

Tech Wizard

I thought you couldn't DJ with iTunes songs and for that matter most song downloading websites. That's what i have heard anyway - the 99c songs are just for home use, so they are the same as a download, not legal to play in a club, that's why songs on beatport are like 2 dollars to 3, because you have the right to play them comercially.
    Correct me if i am wrong, well actually i would prefer if i were wrong, it would save me money.

Genre: Progressive House, Deep House, Electro House, Disco House, Vocal Trance, Uplifting Trance, Eurobeat, Eurodance, Italo House, Chill Out, Ambient Trance

i thought you paid more on beatport and similar sites b/c of the higher quality (bitrate) and lack of drm... ?? oh and plenty of tracks you probably couldnt find on itunes/amazon.

amazon is starting to look like a good option though

i know what u mean about wanted 'fresh new tracks'
    but its all objective of course, and you've most likely just overplayed the tracks to yourself, but they would still be fresh to another audience....
    i purposefully try not to do that to myself. i listen enough to familiarize myself with new tracks, but i dont overplay them
    i also seem to get a lot less music than some of you guys! there's no way i could remember any tracks if i went through that much haha

Tech Wizard

What's the lowest bitrate song you have played on a club system and how did it sound?
    Personally I have most of my music (well most recent music) all 320kbps. The lowest i would probably play is 192 just out of fear.
    Has anyone tried playing 160 or 128 even and was the sound bad?

Genre: Progressive House, Deep House, Electro House, Disco House, Vocal Trance, Uplifting Trance, Eurobeat, Eurodance, Italo House, Chill Out, Ambient Trance

i had a stint at a local bar/club for a while. but their sound system was shit. nothing sounded right, and it seemed every week the setup would be different or a speaker would be out for repairs cuz some other dj blew the highs. and then they got a sub and every track sounded like muddy garbage haha! but anyway, i think the lowest i did play was 192... not that it probably made much of a difference

Quote Originally Posted by TK1129 View Post
    I thought you couldn't DJ with iTunes songs and for that matter most song downloading websites. That's what i have heard anyway - the 99c songs are just for home use, so they are the same as a download, not legal to play in a club, that's why songs on beatport are like 2 dollars to 3, because you have the right to play them comercially.
    Correct me if i am wrong, well actually i would prefer if i were wrong, it would save me money.

ya you cant dj itunes songs on traktor wich sucks and is a pain in the ass cus you gotta convert them to mp3

Tech Wizard

Has anyone actually read the full license agreement of the iTunes store, does it say that once you purchase you are legally able to play those publicly.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast