Good article from Digital DJ Tips on jogwheels and if they are still needed - Page 2
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Banned

In this case, setting it to a fader would work better than a potmeter and you could still get the same results I'd say.

i like to map the jogwheels on my s4 to certain effects, because it is a like a oversized knob that i can turn on and off in accordance to the actual song....

Tech Mentor

Similar indeed, but not yet the same. A jogwheel is way easier to make rapid small changes, faders not so much (when you're pressing a button with that same hand, at least). I do see your point of view though, and the usefulness per area is rather small with jogs. But when you don't really need that space (or portability), jogs can be a very nice addition to your setup!

Edit: I forgot about touch-sensitive jogs (which unfortunately I don't have). They're even more fun because they can act like a button too.

Banned

Ha! I was waiting for some one to mention touch sensitive jog wheels, and for that I have nothing to say as it is it's own unique control set up.

Tech Mentor

To each his own, but as a long time vinyl user I like having platters on controller. For me, it allows me to make those adjustments to the music when its off or even to on that it needs to be out of phase, song cueing, turntable tricks or effects and track seeking. Is this the new bias against digital djs, platters or not? This is dumb topic, we're in 2011, its a beautiful to be a dj, you have so many options to djs. You use vinyl, cds, laptop, controllers, drum-machines, DAWs and etc, why hate (hate is a strong word, but thats the only way I can describe it in very few words) on each other, instead of uplifting each other. Bad enough, as a digital dj, we have deal the bad mouthing of traditionalist vinyl & cd only djs, Serato Vs the world argument, now its platters or no platters. I wonder what would it be next wired djs versus wireless djs... Touch screen versus non-touch screen. Brain implant versus un-plugged.

We should cut the bs and talk about we love and do what we love to do, which is djing and music, the rest is doo-doo...

+1 for touch sensitive jogs...

When I am playing MY set with all my own material, I really dont need the jogs at all, I dont really use them as effect controllers, and I have my initial cue points in everysingle track already saved in traktor, so I dont need to the Jog to set a cue, or to physically cue a track into another...

What I DO use it for, are transitions between DJ's.

I.E. :

Im at a venue that has a mixer with no BPM readout, same with CDJ's, or I'm transitioning from an analogue record on a TT. I basically have to guess at the intial BPM (or use a tap feature, I usually use tap to get the initial BPM close) then drop it into the track playing and use the pitch fader, and the jog on the controler to beatmatch the tracks like you would with a CDJ.

I find using midi controllers with a high quality, touch sensitive jog, and a high resolution pitch fader to feel almot EXACTLY like a CDJ.

In all actuality my Denon DN-SC2000 feels more responsive in Traktor than my rotating platter Denon DN-S3500 CDJ's.

I fully realize it has taken midi/hid controlls a long time to develop a decent jog wheel, but I belive today we have many offerings that provide BETTER response inside of a DJ application than the many CDJ/DVS setups I have played on.

And it kind of makes sence...

Once the commands from the controller have a high enough resolution, the facts that the program doesnt have to do any timecode translation should give the controller the upper hand.

Although I realy have no idea how intensive converting "timecode" data is as compared to converting midi/hid data.

Either way, in my case at least, the controllers I have with jogs were not only a far sight less expensive than the CDJ's I currently own, AND they respond better in Traktor....

So for me, I love em...

But I can totally see how comeone coming from a strictly controller platfrom, or someone who has realized a mapping that gives them suficient controll over the pitch and phase of a track would totally have no more need for a jog at all.

Interesting read for sure, but I love me my jogs.

^Completely intentional poor grammar.
    I'm addicted to WoW.

Please do not bother me about being a productive member of society.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by deejaysoul View Post
    To each his own, but as a long time vinyl user I like having platters on controller. For me, it allows me to make those adjustments to the music when its off or even to on that it needs to be out of phase, song cueing, turntable tricks or effects and track seeking.
    Most of this can be taken care of with the use of sync, saved loop and load cue points and a knob set up for seeking/browsing through a track.

We should cut the bs and talk about we love and do what we love to do, which is djing and music, the rest is doo-doo...
    ^^^
    This

lol doo-doo

Yeah for me it's essential for seeking through the track and dropping cue points because I never want to be using a mouse. How would you do that stuff without a mouse otherwise?

Tech Guru

+ 1 for touch sensitive jogs. While not strictly essential for my sets, I REALLY like them for a few things:
    1) I like to nudge tempo using a wheel, not a button. Buttons just don't feel right to me for this. Push and pull, just like a turntable. I would never feel right mixing live drummer drifting music without a wheel.

2) FX launching and control. Faders work fine, but the jog is fast and accurate, plus why not have multiple fader fx controls? I like using two hands.

3) It's hard to master, but I am fine scratching on hi-rez jogs. I'm not entering any DMC championships, and when I A/B my jog scratching to turntable scratching, actually I think the jogs are holding their own. Sounds different but still good. Granted it's taken me a long time to feel that way, but for simple stuff and 32-64 bar scratch breakdowns, I think it sounds just fine.

4) Seeking and collection search. WAY better than knobs.

5) I use a technique where I drum cues on the top of the jog while using beat jumps on the outside of the jog. It's because it's a wheel that this technique can be really fast and get great results.

6) Having any of the above available on the same control, depending on what mode I've selected, ftw.
    MacBook 2.4GHz, 6GB, Traktor Pro, Ableton Live, Bomes MT, Audio Kontrol 1, Vestax VCI-100 SE Custom, M-Audio Axiom 25, Akai APC40, NI Maschine, 2x Midi Fighters (c/o DJ TechTools - Thanks!!)

Mixcloud DJ Sets

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast