Good article from Digital DJ Tips on jogwheels and if they are still needed
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
    Banned

Default Good article from Digital DJ Tips on jogwheels and if they are still needed

So here's the link,

http://www.digitaldjtips.com/2011/03...tin-jogwheels/

Some good insight, and people are making a lot of good points in the comments section.

What's your take on it?

I think, personally, that jogwheels on controllers have no purpose. If someone wants to use jogwheels with traktor, they should use a set of 1200's because imo nothing is ever going to rival them as jogwheels, or have the same precision. I have no problem with people wanting a set of jogwheels on a beginner set up or whatever, but I bought my first controller which had 8 knobs and 8 programmable buttons, and i havent looked back, because i really don't understand the point of jogwheels on a controller. thats my one beef with the s4, you're never going to get anything close to the feel of vinyl scratching on a jogwheel, and if you ARE a scratch DJ, why would you not have a set of 1200's, possibly with an s4 or other controller?

I haven't read the article so I'm not sure if they touched on this but I do find no use on my jogwheels (then again it is a BCD3000 so they are TERRIBLE). However, I do prefer them over a knob when it comes to seeking within a song for finer searches.

I think, personally, that jogwheels on controllers have no purpose. If someone wants to use jogwheels with traktor, they should use a set of 1200's because imo nothing is ever going to rival them as jogwheels, or have the same precision. I have no problem with people wanting a set of jogwheels on a beginner set up or whatever, but I bought my first controller which had 8 knobs and 8 programmable buttons, and i havent looked back, because i really don't understand the point of jogwheels on a controller. thats my one beef with the s4, you're never going to get anything close to the feel of vinyl scratching on a jogwheel, and if you ARE a scratch DJ, why would you not have a set of 1200's, possibly with an s4 or other controller?
    Because you only view jogwheels as only usable for scratching...

DJTT Administrator del Ritmo padi_04's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Yul View Post
    Because you only view jogwheels as only usable for scratching...
    +1

I use my jogs all the time for small bit of scratching, searching through songs and of course in fader fx mode. So i do believe that theirs still a need for jog wheels but i can see were this piece is coming from.
    I play everything Indie/ Rock/ HipHop/ Cheese/ Electro/ Dubstep and anything that sounds good

Tsp 1.7/ Tsp 2/ Sony vaio Win 7 4gb Ram / Macbook Pro 13 inch (Main machine) /vci 100 se/ mixdeck/ audio 8/ technics rph headphones/ Custom xBox Controller/ Akai Lpd8

Quote Originally Posted by michaeldunne109 View Post
    I use my jogs all the time for small bit of scratching, searching through songs and of course in fader fx mode.
    This

You have a very limited view of what jog wheels are for. In fact I'd have to say that platters are wasted on 1210's when all you can do with them is scratch and cue. I don't scratch but I use my jogs ALL the time for effects and seeking. You can't beat using the jogs to launch a beatmasher!!!
    MacBook Pro, HD25's, Midi-Fighter Classic, Pioneer DDJ-RX , Rekordbox

see i think maybe i'm biased because i've never used jogs to launch FX or for seeking through a track, because i've never actually owned a controller which has jogwheels. i've also never used a DVS system, though i have used cdj's. i have to say i prefer using my controller setup. but different strokes

Banned

The jog wheel is nothing more than a over sized knob or fader in reality. The jog wheel just turns a certain parameter's value up or down, nothing more, nothing less.

Tech Mentor

^True, but it's a very easy one to operate. You can push a button to launch an effect and easily change its parameter with the same hand if you map a jog to do it, the same however would not or barely be possible with a regular potmeter. It's also just way more fun, and can both be more precise and fast.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast