Focal XS 2.1

Thread: Focal XS 2.1

Tech Convert

Default Focal XS 2.1

Are the Focal XS 2.1 desktop speakers any good for home studio use? Looking for speakers to use with an APC40 and Ableton Live. I like the small profile of the speakers but want to make sure they are good for my use. Unfortunately no store near me has them on display to test so I was looking for any feedback from people who have them or may have heard them. Thanks.

DJTT Administrator del Ritmo padi_04's Avatar

I'd save for studio monitors. They might sound "good", but you need them to sound clear and have flat freq response for serious use.

For that price…I'll wang slap you for buying them. You can get legitimately decent studio monitors for $600…or you can waste your money on garbage that's no better than any other noisy, peaky, dirty-sound 2.1 system.

Your choice.

By that, I mean they're probably good for normal listening and movies…they're compared to B&W. But I'm not sold on any of the high-end hi-fi brands as being anything but a gimmick other than Bob Carver, Acoustic Research, and ESS…and none of that stuff is worth the price, so…yeah…maybe I'm weird, but I think studio monitors just sound better than hi-fi systems.

Tech Guru

umm..

guys?

those are Focal's. They probably put KRK's to shame. thats a HIGH end brand. Like, Beverly Hills high end brand. Like Dubai high end brand.

Every pair of Focal anything I've ever heard was like listening to the virgin mary have an orgasm
    Baked Chicken | Brown Rice | Asparagus | Apple Juice | Snack Wells | Pretzel Chips | Lots of Water

Quote Originally Posted by padi_04 View Post
    I'd save for studio monitors. They might sound "good", but you need them to sound clear and have flat freq response for serious use.
    You don't need a flat frequency response for DJing. Any setup with good bass and decent volume should be fine. If you want to do some production, go for some near-field "studio" monitors, though.
    A&H Xone:96 | Xone:K1 | 2 x 1210s | Traktor Pro 3 | Apple Macbook Pro (2015) 13" | Sennheiser HD7 DJ | Maschine Mikro Mk3
    read: http://djworx.com/author/dan-morse
    talk: http://facebook.com/bleeptechno
    listen: http://mixcloud.com/bleephudds

Tech Guru

heres a review i found on amazon. remember this guy also mentions in this post, his main audio system has about 7 grand into it.

"There's not a lot more to say. This system is simply excellent; there is one caveat though: make sure you put enough real estate between the 2 monitors -- they need room to breathe. Soundstage width and depth are excellent if they're given enough room. When you hear it, try to remember this is a $600.00 2.1 system; it will be difficult. BTW: my main system consists of a Musical Fidelity Tri-Vista (tube) DAC, VTL Tiny Triodes, Monitor Audio Silver Series towers, Transparent and Cardas speaker and power cabling, etc. I've wasted a lot of money on systems and this definitely ranks as one of the best values in my collection (the Monitor Audios top the list). "
    Baked Chicken | Brown Rice | Asparagus | Apple Juice | Snack Wells | Pretzel Chips | Lots of Water