Music Collection
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Music Collection

So, I was hoping for opinions: Is it better to have a large collection of tracks for mixing, but being less comfortable and practiced with all of them. Or, is it better to have a small collection you're comfortable with and know like the back of your hand?

I personally have 5 days worth of cued and mixable tracks that i know well, and 7 days worth of tracks i have no clue about. some i haven't even heard past the intro.

DJTT Infectious Moderator photojojo's Avatar

I think it's better to have a smaller amount of tracks that you know well, but you'll probably never know all of your tracks to the same degree. That's where the comment filed and different rating methods come in handy.

Oh, and welcome to the site.
    Chris Jennings FHP

Podcast - Soundcloud - Mixcloud - Beatport Charts - x

Well think of it this way, when vinyl was almost the only format, most people couldn't afford to buy loads of records so what they did have they knew inside out.

But that's the problem with technology, people have mass music collections and only know a fraction of their collection inside out (if that!)

So my opinion is to have a smaller music collection and know the tunes like the back of your hand.

Im not saying technology and large music collections are a bad thing though. i have a friend who has a huge music collection, he spends a fortune on tunes. He probably has thousands upon thousands of tracks and to be honest he knows nearly them all inside out because he listens to music non stop.

So it is possible to have a large collection and know them inside out, but my preference is smaller the better.

Im one to forget what some songs sound like so I like having a small collection.
    I like Armin's way of his collection he brings to clubs, 1 track per cd and only brings 300 disks. Probably what I will end up doing.
    /人◕‿‿◕人\
    --Its not the OS, It's the user--

Tech Wizard

I too had to figure out a solution to this and came up with just better organization...starting using itunes and added extensive "tags" into the genre field along with rated each song. here's what i posted up on another thread:

I have found my techniques for music organization is ever changing and evolving...at this point I have ventured over to the dark side (itunes) yes the dark side lol and basically tell itunes to organize all of my actual folders. I go through all my music on itunes and get pretty creative with the genre tagging. genre/sub-genre/another sub-genre.

examples:

House/Electro
    House/Electro/Progressive
    House/Progressive/Funky

etc...

the real benefit of taking this approach is the use of dynamic or "smart playlist" where you can setup rules for a playlist. Songs which tags or other info which match these rules automatically get placed into the corresponding playlist.

So you make a smart playlist to say automatically fill this list with songs which have "house" and/or "electro" in the genre tag. Also only place songs with a rating better than 4 stars and a BPM of between 125 and 135...see where im going with this? This makes looking for a certain sound or style much easier and faster when I'm in the middle of playing a set and ultimately keeps you and your music much much more organized and easier managed.

Quote Originally Posted by photojojo View Post
    I think it's better to have a smaller amount of tracks that you know well, but you'll probably never know all of your tracks to the same degree. That's where the comment filed and different rating methods come in handy.

Oh, and welcome to the site.
    Thank you for the welcome

big or small collection its all comes down to how you setup you music. Folders/playlist/crates always help me
    Controllerist: Think different | SoundCloud | MixCloud | Twitter |

Quote Originally Posted by viceversa View Post
    I too had to figure out a solution to this and came up with just better organization...starting using itunes and added extensive "tags" into the genre field along with rated each song. here's what i posted up on another thread:
    I like that idea, it seems like i do that already. Except i rate the stars by mixibility (yes i made that up), which is nice because songs that have no breakdowns, complex beats, etc. are easily spotted. But it seems like if i was to narrow down my collection i wouldnt have to worry about it.

I dont want to part with my songs though :'( I dont want my sets to suffer from it either.

The size of the collection doesn't really matter imo. But, to be an effective DJ you must know your tracks inside and out.

I tend to be a month behind with my music for the most part now. I usually acquire 30 - 50 tracks a month and listen to those tunes on my commute to work, grocery shopping, dancing around at home with the kids... Really anytime Im listening to music it's those 30 - 50 tracks 90% of the time. When Im mixing (usually about 2 hours a day when the kids goto bed some times an hour or so in the mornings before anyone is up) I use the tracks from the previous month...

This works out for me because I only play out once a year now (NYE) and stream live once or twice a month...

30 tracks you know inside out vs 6000 tracks you've never heard ... hmmm
    Acer E5 i7 16GB 512SSD 2TBHD ~ WIN 10 ~ TSP 2.11 ~ AUDIO 6 ~ DUAL X1s ~ DN-X1600 ~ SPECTRA ~ TWISTER ~ ATH-PRO500 MK2 ~ ZED6FX ~ AT2020

" I’m the Dude, so that’s what you call me. That or, uh His Dudeness, or uh Duder, or El Duderino, if you’re not into the whole brevity thing. "

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast