Serato Itch 2.0 - Coming early April! - Page 2
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Tech Wizard

Quote Originally Posted by bigbeatzz View Post
    Yawn.

=) j/k

I loved my VCI-300 but other than those kick ass warp markers itch has I don't see competing with Traktors goodness.

Rob are you an Itch user? I may still be on the beta team, let me take a look.
    That'd be awesome if you could.

I moved over to itch about 6 months ago. I've used Traktor for years (even when it was Final Scratch with that horrible Firewire interface), but I had to see what the fuss was about with Itch, and I'm a convert.

The sum of its parts is greater than the whole. Between the simplicity, the controllers (i.e. I use the V7 units which are TOP quality by Numark, surprisingly enough), the beat gridding, the playlist management, etc. are just top notch.

I care less about effects - even though I play techno, house, tech house, and the like.

Effects are for interesting transitions (sometimes) and occasional spice within a track - and although Traktor's effects are top of the heap, it isn't one of those things that I rely on to be a good DJ. (or try to be a good DJ anyway).

I play good tracks at the right time and let those do the work - and I think this supports the goals of the producers of the tracks that slaved in their studios to make the perfect arrangement and sound design for me to play.

It is somewhat of a great conceit that it is our job as DJs to deconstruct a track to fit OUR perception of what it should sound like. If tracks aren't cutting it and one needs to apply a bunch of stuff and loops and whatnot, then pick better tracks IMO.

OR, buy the S4 and loop away with one's own productions and whatnot. But I'm focused on being a good DJ who plays good tracks and reads the room and responds in that way.

I'm all for a little spice, but as I've written above, the effects are cool, but they aren't the reason why I pick a piece of DJ software.

The MIDI thing is a true benefit to traktor - especially for controllerists like Ean Golden. That is a branch of DJing that deserves a tool like Traktor. There is no doubt about that at all.

But for me, I like things that work, are simple, so I can get on with the job. Not to mention I got tired of showing up to gigs and rewiring everything while the DJ before me was playing and have that mess of wires. It was so bad, that I bought my own little portable mixer (DJR-400 rotary) and hooked everything through that and then used the master out (one set of left and right outputs) to whatever house DJ mixer there was to minimize the impact and easier set up. This was when I was using the NI soundcard and Maschine as the controller.

But after awhile that got sterile to me because I like to play tracks and I come from the vinyl world, so I gave the V7 and shot and was amazed at how easy and fluid it was to use with the software providing everything I needed in a much more elegant workflow than TSP.

Anyway, I can go on and on... but I'm not trying to convince anyone to change their preferences, I'm just explaining my journey. I am an unabashed supporter of Serato at this point.

I love their ethos of giving DJs what they need and a workflow to match - it just shows when using the software that they've put the thought into meeting the needs of working DJs rather than trying to retrofit ideas into something like Traktor which was, first and foremost, a laptop based software tool that did not have vinyl and the workflow of DJ's in mind AT FIRST.

Obviously that has changed now. But the genes/DNA of TSP shows even to this day in the way it has evolved IMO.

But apples and oranges, its all fruit. So, use what is best for you. I personally am very happy about 2.0. Can't wait to see how they've refined the software to be even better than it currently is.

and .02,

rob.

With the V7 I can either
    Known as Robtronik.

http://www.facebook.com.com/djrobtronik | Visit, Like, Stay in touch.

Tech Wizard

oh, and yes, I am extremely excited for the NS6. It is a controller and an analog DJ mixer. If it is of the same quality as their NS7 and V7 units, then Numark is going to have quite a hit on their hands.

I think the obvious set up for this year (for club installs) is most likely going to be an SL4 box hooked up to the new Nexus Pioneer mixer.

I dislike the Pioneer sound of their mixers compared to the Xone series (and my own DJR-400 which is better than both of those mixers by far), but I can live with that compromise to a large degree because it meets the needs of both camps (TSP and Serato SSL users).

But that NS6 is looking quite special at this point IMO. Can't wait for that either.
    Known as Robtronik.

Tech Wizard

do you have a link to the thread where this was posted?

Tech Wizard
    Known as Robtronik.

Quote Originally Posted by MuzicFreq View Post
    The NS6 looks great (FAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRRRRR better than the shitty Pioneer DDJ-S1) It also can be used as a standalone mixer which I am impressed for the same price point as the S4. Also if Felix is right you can map it to any dvs software without a problem. (Heard there were problems doing so with the NS7)

Would be cool to use sometime and that would be the only thing to move me to Itch
    Just cuz something looks better doesnt mean it works better. Most if not all CDJ djs are going to feel right at home with the DDJ-S1

I used both at NAMM, and the NS6 they had on display, was just that a DISPLAY ONLY aka a non-working model. You like the NS6 and tons of people love the DDJ-S1, we didnt have these many choices 4 years ago.
    Controllerist: Think different | SoundCloud | MixCloud | Twitter |

April will be a pretty critical month for itch as it is when traktor 2 will ship out. They could face loosing some users to the new software if there offering is not up to scratch.
    www.elliotgrainger.com

vci 300 mk2
    13in mbp

Tech Guru

Quote Originally Posted by elliotg View Post
    April will be a pretty critical month for itch as it is when traktor 2 will ship out. They could face loosing some users to the new software if there offering is not up to scratch.
    they need to fix sync in a gigantic way.

all these 4 deck itch controllers out there. you really do need sync in 4 deck mode. especially if they plan on adding bridge support.

right now itch's sync button shouldn't be labled sync. it should be labeled "trainwreck your mix". Half the time their sync jumps halfway inbetween beatmarkers. I have a tutorial on itch sync on youtube, but ill be honest with you. about 50% of the time, that shits got a mind of its own.
    Baked Chicken | Brown Rice | Asparagus | Apple Juice | Snack Wells | Pretzel Chips | Lots of Water

Quote Originally Posted by xtianw View Post
    they need to fix sync in a gigantic way.

all these 4 deck itch controllers out there. you really do need sync in 4 deck mode. especially if they plan on adding bridge support.

right now itch's sync button shouldn't be labled sync. it should be labeled "trainwreck your mix". Half the time their sync jumps halfway inbetween beatmarkers. I have a tutorial on itch sync on youtube, but ill be honest with you. about 50% of the time, that shits got a mind of its own.
    why are you pressing sync while it's playing and not beforehand and timing when to start the track?
    /人◕‿‿◕人\
    --Its not the OS, It's the user--

Tech Guru

Quote Originally Posted by MuzicFreq View Post
    why are you pressing sync while it's playing and not beforehand and timing when to start the track?
    like i said, i actually did a tutorial on sync. i know how its supposed to work. but there are times, a lot of times when you sync before hand, all your markers are aligned up, and for some reason it jumps way off marker for no reason.

let alone things like this oddness. even the serato support guys couldnt explain to me why this happens from time to time.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0ym0LS8ml04

watch all the way through. the elastic beatgrid changes by itself for absolutely no reason without me touching a single button on the controller. the track was redownloaded several times from beatport, beatgridded, fixed beatgrid. every variation i could think of.

their beatgridding needs a LOT of work.
    Baked Chicken | Brown Rice | Asparagus | Apple Juice | Snack Wells | Pretzel Chips | Lots of Water

Quote Originally Posted by xtianw View Post
    like i said, i actually did a tutorial on sync. i know how its supposed to work. but there are times, a lot of times when you sync before hand, all your markers are aligned up, and for some reason it jumps way off marker for no reason.

let alone things like this oddness. even the serato support guys couldnt explain to me why this happens from time to time.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0ym0LS8ml04

watch all the way through. the elastic beatgrid changes by itself for absolutely no reason without me touching a single button on the controller. the track was redownloaded several times from beatport, beatgridded, fixed beatgrid. every variation i could think of.

their beatgridding needs a LOT of work.
    wow they need to fix that code. Doesnt work for shit.
    how can the fuck up something like that
    >.>
    /人◕‿‿◕人\
    --Its not the OS, It's the user--

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast