mixers w/ dual USB inputs
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default mixers w/ dual USB inputs

i'm in the market for a cheap to medium-priced mixer, and i stumbled upon the DJ-Tech DJM-303:

i have an i-Mix Reload and am quite satisfied with it, so i have no qualms about the brand. also, i'm drawn to this particular mixer because of the dual usb inputs. so i have two questions:

1. does anybody have any experience with this mixer?

2. does anybody know of any decent sub-$500 mixers that have two usb inputs?

Various reviews of music magazins here in Germany say, that this is a good piece of hardware. Always 5 or 4.5 Stars... Don't mind the brand - they have invested a lot of money the last year and have many niece tools in their portfolio.

Tech Guru

Before you make a buy decision, I would ask yourself what you want dual USB ports for, and if this mixer satisfies that need.

Quote Originally Posted by nem0nic View Post
    Before you make a buy decision, I would ask yourself what you want dual USB ports for, and if this mixer satisfies that need.
    i saw a video somewhere on youtube where richie hawtin discusses Traktor's ability to sync multiple running instances on seperate machines. cool. my buddy and i want to have the ability to run our own versions of Traktor on our own PCs with our own controller set-ups, but run our master outs to a single "main" mixer. i'm not too keen on mixers with usb funtionality, but i'd imagine that having dual usb inputs is the simplest (and possibly most efficient) way of controlling two different PC set-ups with the same mixer. thoughts? knowledge? help?

True but it will be seriously costly. I'd recommend getting two separate audio interfaces since that way when you play separately you always have your own interface and not have to worry about getting it off the other. That and you won't be limited to venues with their own interface/usb mixer.

i have my own interface for when i'm playing by myself, as does he. but this is a $325 USB solution for what my friend and I want to do for when we play together. i'm hoping that somebody has a mixer with USB connectivity, uses it, and could tell me a bit about it.

Tech Guru

Typically their mixers with 2 USB ports have been a single stereo pair per port, and each was seen as a separate audio interface by the computer. So this isn't going to let you do what you're looking to do.

Quote Originally Posted by nem0nic View Post
    Typically their mixers with 2 USB ports have been a single stereo pair per port, and each was seen as a separate audio interface by the computer. So this isn't going to let you do what you're looking to do.
    i don't want my computer to "see" anything. i want Traktor to "see" the mixer as a viable master out channel on usb1, and i want my friend's instance of Traktor to "see" the mixer as a viable master out channel on usb2. if you look at the picture i posted, the left side of the mixer handles usb1, and the right side handles usb2. as i said, we both have our own controller set-ups, so we're not looking to control Traktor with the mixer.

do you have a mixer with a usb channel?

Behringer don't do a mixer in their current line up (including the new NOX series) that has two USB inputs, that can be routed to individual channels on the mixer.

DJTech do (as you've seen). Akiyama do (even a $100, ish really basic mixer (MX1 USB) and Numark do (I think).

Have a look around, there's something that'll fit your budget.

That said. If you've both got interfaces, the sound quality of the built in USB-Audio on mixers of this price is not likely to be as good as an NI Audio 2.

If you're playing out in clubs with a big PA, you'll notice a significant difference. I'd make sure you test the sound quality and mixer features in comparison to your current interfaces and an analog mixer. Most clubs will not have USB mixers installed as standard.

Cheers, Drex

Tech Guru

i don't want my computer to "see" anything.
    Stop being obtuse.

i want Traktor to "see" the mixer as a viable master out channel on usb1, and i want my friend's instance of Traktor to "see" the mixer as a viable master out channel on usb2.
    And you can do that. And NEITHER of you will have a cue channel. If that's good for you, then you're all set.

...we both have our own controller set-ups, so we're not looking to control Traktor with the mixer.
    NO ONE said ANYTHING about a controller.

do you have a mixer with a usb channel?
    I've had several. Have you?

Look man, what you have in this mixer is 2 separate 2 channel audio interfaces. And when I say 2 channel, I mean left and right, not stereo pair one and stereo pair two. So you have 4 channels of audio TOTAL on this mixer. You said you want to use 2 instances of Traktor. If you're using it normally, each setup will need a cue channel (L&R) and an output channel to mains (another L&R).

If you plan on syncing everything to a master clock and know your music well enough that you don't need to prelisten at all, then this mixer will be all you need. If you need a cue for each setup, you'd be better off buying 2 A2DJ audio interfaces and sending the master outs of each to whatever mixer either of you have on hand. You'd get a more flexible setup, both of you would have a headphone out as well, and you wouldn't have to deal with bad drivers.

Do you understand that mixer's limitation now?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast