first gig coming up - equipment advice
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Tech Wizard

Default first gig coming up - equipment advice

Been DJing for about 6 months now, I've finally got my first public gig in 4 weeks (beyond a private party or house party etc). I'm DJing a high school dance at my former high school. I need some advice on equipment. The event will be in a standard high school gym, basketball court. Expected head count is probably 300-400. I've just been using my home theater with my S4, and I need some speakers etc now, but not looking to spend too too much.

Would something like 2 of these be OK given the event/venue?
    http://www.behringer.com/EN/Products/B215D.aspx

Would I still want to get a subwoofer with these or no? If yes, suggestions?

The other setup I was considering is this:
    http://www.guitarcenter.com/B-52-Mat...51-i1153270.gc

i had the matrix's in my frat basement when i was pledging. they were aiight, but gave out like a yr or so after we bought tthem. (granted we didtn take care of shit)....

whats your price range? you can always rent (and mix that into your rate so you dont have to pay for it :P )

ive got a pair of the fender passports (they fold up into eachother its wicked sweet) and they have some really good response and sound.
    Quote Originally Posted by Xonetacular View Post
    Ya I've heard one song. It's called Skrillex.
    13" Macbook - 256gb SSD, 750gb HDD, 8gb Ram ❘ DDJ-SX | HDJ-2000
    Kontrol Z1 | Midifighter 3D | Kontrol X1

Tech Wizard

Would the matrix's be good enough for a HS gym? I don't exactly need a megaclub sound system for this obviously. I've thought of renting, but I think I just wanna buy equipment to have. Ideally I'd wanna keep the price under like $800.

Given your budget, maybe look at purchasing something used locally? I have found some absolute STEALS on audio gear over the years on craigslist. I know what its like to want something new and shiny, but for a new dj thats starting out, used gear is probably a better way to go.

Tech Wizard

Street Knowledge,

Do you think if I find 2 used powered-speakers like those Behringers, that they would be sufficient for the gig I am doing? I can probably get used ones for like $400, but I don't know if they are powerful enough. Would I also need a subwoofer with them?

Gyms are tough. Because of the echo you can't go super loud. I have found those Matrix systems to be really good, and the sub will give you a nice bass response in a big room like that.

I cannot recommend Behringer speakers. There are definitely worse speakers out there, but the build quality on those things is garbage. I have seen more Behringer speakers fail at gigs than any other brand (and I've been a sound tech for almost 10 years, so I've seen a lot of gigs!)

Check your local music stores, try a lot stuff out, and rent some gear to see what you like before purchasing. It's tough to drop a bunch of cash on PA, but it will be worth it in the long run not to go cheap. It doesn't matter how good of a DJ you are if your gear sounds like crap or fails on you.

Intoxicated /adj./ When you feel sophisticated without being able to pronounce it.

facebook.com/DJJakeLake
    jakelake.info

Tech Wizard

Really? A guy I know locally who DJ's recommended Behringers to get bang for my buck. But it seems like you'd know what you're talking about. I've been searching CL, my problem is I don't have the knowledge regarding speakers etc to judge what is good haha.

id rent the gear for the event, tell the guy in the store where you intent to use them and how many people etc and he will recommend the right set up for you too rent,
    and then after the gig you will have a better idea of what you will need to buy.
    and if you like the set up you rented, then maybe you might be able to buy it from them at a discount
    well thats what i did when i had my first gig...
    Please LIKE MY PAGE FACEBOOK Page and I'll Return The Favor

)))---|> http://facebook.com/DjBullyBolger <|---(((

dude, rent.

If youre expecting 300 people and intend to rock the party a pair of behringers will not cut it. You will merely be background noise.

You will need at least 2 15" subs and 2 12" tops which in your price range will be tough. You also only have 4 weeks to get it sorted and soundchecked. What happens if you blow a speaker by not correctly hooking it up. Then your screwed.

Have a little look around, find someone local that can sort you out for a night. Maybe offer them the opportunity to advertise their company at your event too, that could net you a worthy discount.

Are you also in charge of getting a lighting rig sorted?
    Ecler NUO 3.0, 2 1210mk2, midi fighter, Kontrol X1, Akai LPD8, Reloop RHP10's, TSP, Audio 8

Howitzer on Soundcloud | Howitzer on Twitter | Howitzer on Facebook | Howitzer dnb blog

Tech Wizard

Quote Originally Posted by Flash101uk View Post
    dude, rent.

If youre expecting 300 people and intend to rock the party a pair of behringers will not cut it. You will merely be background noise.

You will need at least 2 15" subs and 2 12" tops which in your price range will be tough. You also only have 4 weeks to get it sorted and soundchecked. What happens if you blow a speaker by not correctly hooking it up. Then your screwed.

Have a little look around, find someone local that can sort you out for a night. Maybe offer them the opportunity to advertise their company at your event too, that could net you a worthy discount.

Are you also in charge of getting a lighting rig sorted?
    I'll have to check out some local rentals. I've asked about lighting, I'm not required to even have any lighting, but it's not something I would oppose. I do own strobes and a fogger, but I'm not sure how effective they'd be at this event / if I'd even be allowed for safety reasons.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast