How responsive are the arcade buttons?
    Tech Convert

Default How responsive are the arcade buttons?

Basically I'm currently using traktor with a trigger finger and a oxygen 8. Out of the 2 the oxygen is more responsive but would like somthing more like the trigger finger with a better response. Currently if I try to hit the trigger finger pad 3/4 times very fast (kind of like a crab scratch is doen't register all 3/4 hit's. Would like to know if modding a vci with arcade buttons would be much better or is it more of a limitaion of the traktor software. For e.g. if I was to do a drum roll using a midi drum pad with a drum sample in traktor do you think I would sound as it should.

Also to add my latency is set at 5.5 ms. Do you think it would need to be lower to get a better response when triggering samples in traktor?

Tech Guru

from my personal experience using the arcade buttons they are ultra responsive, far more then I have found with drumpads (I have tested the akai mpd24 and the drum pads on the remote SL 25). For ultra fast sample triggering imo u cant get much better.

If you want a controller and not to mod your VCI Check out - http://www.djtechtools.com/forum/att...9&d=1209963821

midifidler (if you didnt already know) is building some of these for some DJTT members, they have 16 arcade buttons and 2 joysticks (from PS2). At the moment I think 4-5 people have expressed interest and midifidler (mike) is building up to 10.
    They will cost around US$160-180 and can have whatever u want on the face plate and whatever colour buttons you want.

cant wait to get mine ;D

Tech Convert

Thanks for your info midian. I don't currently have a vci and don't really have that much of a need for one as I always use traktor with an external mixer so one of the controllers midifidler is making might be ideal.

if you want to crab or trigger 1/32 notes then the arcade button is the only way to go!

I noticed that they are called momentary contact switches. Does anyone know, that has used the arcade buttons, that if you hold down the button the switch stays open? I think that it would but... I'm not sure. So you could hook up the button as a hold midi signal.

Retired DJTT Moderator DvlsAdvct's Avatar

A lot of times, ni my experience, when you're holding down a button it is not sending a constant signal. It just hasn't sent a "close" signal. So, really, the computer is just getting

<you press button>
    <MIDI Controller sends>"Open"
    <You hold button>
    <You release button>
    <MIDI Controller sends>"Close"

get what I mean?
    It's the FAQ. Read it.

My Mixes, Mashups and Rants

Divided we stand
    United we fall

Yeah that makes perfect since. Thanks a lot. I for some reason was thinking in the way of a switch for like lights. Where when its on it lets the electric flow. But only when its turned off will it turn off. Not like a signal saying... hey light turn off. Computers are obviously different. Thanks!

I just got my arcade buttons today and i can confirm they are pure joy

@BentoSan

The reason I got the bought some arcade buttons was because you had suggested it in the mouse to midi post (dumb hacks). It got me thinking that having some button triggers would in fact be awesome. So thanks for the tip!