What should I do to get started? Any tips would be loved!

Talking What should I do to get started? Any tips would be loved!

My name is Patrick and I have been DJing for a little bit now and I had just gotten comfortable. I have a huge love for trance so I figured, why not DJ? After a while, I have been inspired by many top producers and underground producers to make my own trance songs. I have not yet been able to get a good amount of money so I planned to get a keyboard later this year.

Well, I guess I got it earlier than I planned. I found the Axiom 25 for a steal and now it is just sitting here, with me not knowing a single thing what to do. And yes, I do feel like a real noob because I am.

Problem is with all this work I have to do as a student, I didn't have the time to research anything about producing music especially with the Axiom 25. I had FL Studio and I tried to work with it, but I still didn't have the time to fully understand it and I was too lazy to concentrate. Now that I have my keyboard, I am going to use all the freetime I have to learn how to produce trance with it. Along with that, I hope that I can soon be able to use Ableton live.

So please, can anyone share any tips, tutorials, or guides on how I should start off? Thank you!

DJTT Infectious Moderator photojojo's Avatar

youtube
    Chris Jennings FHP

Podcast - Soundcloud - Mixcloud - Beatport Charts - x

+1 on youtube

Research is going to be a on going thing when producing, so stop being lazy and get use to it!

Two tips that I can give you; RESEARCH (NO ONE is going to hold your hand) and Learn Piano (Do you have to? No. Does it help? More then you can imagine)

youtube (and google) are your friends. Millions of tutorials on there. And get up off yo' lazy ass
    TSP 2 | Serato DJ | Live 8 | MBP (SSD + HDD) | AIAIA TMA-1 Fool's Gold Edition | 1200 Mk2s | MidiFighter | KRK RP5
    Xone: DB4 | Pioneer CDJ-2000 Nexus
    DJTT FAQ | Read my guide to AUDIO CABLES

if you dont have time to make resarch on producing music than you dont have time to make music...
    be smart.

i can tell you me story
    you gotta know that im far to be professional producer. here we go for me i learn almost everything from manuals. i think its better to start here. why? cause youtube video are every helpful but most of the time if you don't know anything about creating music youll be like ''WTF this guy doing'' (even more if you are not an english speaker) youll be able to follow step he do but not able to understand what he do. so read up your DAW manuals resarch for nice synth and read up about them. I did all this stuff before go to sleep like 30min/day (its took me about a mount) . dont go try to make music right now it will be total bullshit. you cant understand those program like that there are too complex. after have readed all essential shit give a try to a song and use video as your handbook. good luck

EDIT: sry if my english SUCK
    and please dont use this name as you producer name.
    Last edited by WhiteApple; 03-09-2011 at 02:23 PM.
    A Random Audiophile
    Insta:dotmoiny