Go back to CDJs?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Tech Wizard

Default Go back to CDJs?

Hey Guys,

I've been Dj-ing for about 2 or 3 months now. My current set up is:

2 Midi Fighters and a DDM-4000 with Traktor Pro in external mode.

Since I've started out with this unconventional Digital set up and am loving EVERY minute of it.

Does it make sense to go out and learn how to ''really'' DJ, as one of my friends was saying? He said that I should learn the in's and out's of a proper laptop-less set up. But, I'm never going to be using one of those set ups in any performance. It'll ultimately, just be a skill I'll have in my arsenal but won't get much use.

So, should I learn how to DJ without laptops and controllers? or keep honing my controllerist craft?

Tech Guru

it depends what kind of gig you're going for.

it might matter in some scenes more than it does others, so just scout out what flies at the type of shows you're shooting for.

don't rely on your buddy's opinion as the law, chances are he's just threatened by the new wave gear and is trying to save face with that old "that's not real djing" bullshit. it's 2011 and midi controller djing is about as real as it gets.

It's up to you really! The old hackneyed "beatmatching or not" debate has been circulating since the advent of the sync button, and I suppose my opinion on the subject is that it's a skill worth learning in the fullness of time but you don't necessarily have to do it just yet (or indeed ever, depending on what sort of format your sets are taking). This article from digitalDJtips covers it quite well.

http://www.digitaldjtips.com/2011/02...-to-beatmatch/

In general, there's absolutely no need to give up controllerism until you've learned to beatmatch. Stick with what you've got and if you get an opportunity to have a good practice on a pair of decks or CDJs then take it.
    TSP 2 | Serato DJ | Live 8 | MBP (SSD + HDD) | AIAIA TMA-1 Fool's Gold Edition | 1200 Mk2s | MidiFighter | KRK RP5
    Xone: DB4 | Pioneer CDJ-2000 Nexus
    DJTT FAQ | Read my guide to AUDIO CABLES

I take it your using the deckalized mapping. If so then i would say turn your computer the opposite way and try to beat-match with the bottom four buttons. If i can do it you can do it.

Stuff im going into is CDJs>>>>PC till you make it out of the small clubs and go higher
    /人◕‿‿◕人\
    --Its not the OS, It's the user--

imo it's definitely worth having the skill to use cdjs. they're not leaving clubs any time soon and you never know when you'll need to use one. Even if it's mixing in a couple of tracks from the last dj to set up your other stuff, it's worth it

Tech Wizard

Quote Originally Posted by levvis View Post
    imo it's definitely worth having the skill to use cdjs. They're not leaving clubs any time soon and you never know when you'll need to use one. Even if it's mixing in a couple of tracks from the last dj to set up your other stuff, it's worth it
    qft.

as someone who has mixed on vinyl, cdjs and now midi i say; keep the midi, fuck cdjs, dig in and keep pushing. loook to make your sets 'performances' not just sets and what you do will make more sense to people. and don't call yourself a dj, EVER - good get out clause for the 'not real dj' debates.

Win 7 / 2x Reloop Contour / Numark M6 /Traktor Pro 2.5
    SoundCloud

Show your friend this pic and explain how technology works.

If you are perfectly comfortable with your setup but want to simply "look pro" pick up some 1200's with DVS. A more pro "look" and you skip stupidly priced CDJ's.

BTW, I went to some gig the other day and the DJ had some CDJ's 1000 MK2... To tell you the truth those platters felt flimsy as hell and the unit just too damn bulky for what they are. 1200's are bulkier but cheaper, but if you want to look pro somethings gotta give. I MAY pick 1200's later but I already have my hands pretty full with my S4.

To the first person that talks shit about my setup I'll challenge him right there to a DJ match and destroy the crap out of him, filming the whole thing and posting it on every video service and social network I can find on the internet just for kicks and to drive the point across: "Evolve or die, dinosaur style".

Erase. Stop. Start.

Quote Originally Posted by Quenepas View Post
    Show your friend this pic and explain how technology works.

"Evolve or die, dinosaur style".

love it.

Quote Originally Posted by Xonetacular View Post
    Ya I've heard one song. It's called Skrillex.
    13" Macbook - 256gb SSD, 750gb HDD, 8gb Ram ❘ DDJ-SX | HDJ-2000
    Kontrol Z1 | Midifighter 3D | Kontrol X1

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast