X1, Audio 2, and mixer as only laptop-DJ equipment?
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Tech Convert

Default X1, Audio 2, and mixer as only laptop-DJ equipment?

Hi all,

I have a decent PA setup and I really want to start DJing using Traktor. The S4 looks beautiful and has all I need, but unfortunately it is out of my price range.

So I was wondering if, for starters (I am a beginner at Traktor), would it do with a Laptop + Audio 2 soundcard + Behringer mixer + Kontrol X1?
    I mean, would I be able to sync beats, navigate in Traktor, and do looping? I'm thinking thats all I'll need to begin with. It will set me back about $300, whereas the S4 is $900..

All input appreciated!

Hey Axman,

I don't recommend this set up, in my opinion it's very handy to have jogwheels, because sometimes the song just isn't perfectly in sync with your other song, and you'll need to do a little pitch bending.

I also don't recommend Behringer mixers, one it's channels just gave up on me while I was spinning at a gig.

Tech Convert

OK thanks. Just so we're on the same level, I'll be using this setup at private parties mostly, no major gigs.
    Your jog wheel point makes sense though.. Are there any cheaper options for me with jog wheels, or is the S4 just to good of an all in one package to bother messing with options? Also, do you think the S4 price will fall by summer?

Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by Axman84 View Post
    OK thanks. Just so we're on the same level, I'll be using this setup at private parties mostly, no major gigs.
    Your jog wheel point makes sense though.. Are there any cheaper options for me with jog wheels, or is the S4 just to good of an all in one package to bother messing with options? Also, do you think the S4 price will fall by summer?

Thanks!
    Hey, no problem man ;-)
    I was on a small party too when my right channel just gave up, I was lucky enough my music wasn't playing on that deck, and it the last half hour .
    How about a Reloop controller, like the Digital Jockey 2 (without internal soundcard, audio 2 dj's sound quality is noticeably better), an Audio 2 Dj, and maybe an X1?

I don't know about a price drop for the S4, I heard some rumors about an "S5" but I actually have no idea if this is true, so I can't predict the price, sorry man.

DJTT Administrator del Ritmo padi_04's Avatar

Having jogweels is nice but it's not a MUST, I spun a whole year with nothing but an APC 40. That being said, you could try a Denon DN SC2000 if you feel you need them

I'll skip the Behringer and go with a Numark mixer instead.

Don't forget to add a Traktor license to the price

I wouldn't hold my breath for an upgrade to the s4 this year either
    Last edited by padi_04; 03-10-2011 at 10:34 AM.

VCI-100 SE + Audio 2 + Laptop = Boooooomshakatack!!!!!
    CLUB OF JACKS - RELEASES >>TRAXSOURCE
    Club of Jacks are a London based House & Garage production / DJ duo with releases on a number of underground labels including Plastik People Recordings, Blockhead Recordings, Hi Energy!, Pocket Jacks Trax, Soul Revolution Records and their own Club of Jacks imprint.

Tech Convert

Thanks guys.
    I actually didn't know about the Digital Jockeys, and they seem to offer what I need at an affordable price, with jog wheels. However there are a few different models, and they seem very similar.
    But Poulet Blanc you are saying the built in soundcard isnt of sufficient quality. Is that the case for Digital Jockey 2 IE as well? And DJ 3?

I may also save up a few bucks and go for the S4...

i know in another thread (http://www.djtechtools.com/forum/showthread.php?t=26223) paul mac is looking to sell his vci/an x1. and that would have everything you needed to get going until you could afford an s4 or wait until the next big hardware upgrade (cause the vci is still a solid piece of kit)

just my $0.02
    Quote Originally Posted by Xonetacular View Post
    Ya I've heard one song. It's called Skrillex.
    13" Macbook - 256gb SSD, 750gb HDD, 8gb Ram ❘ DDJ-SX | HDJ-2000
    Kontrol Z1 | Midifighter 3D | Kontrol X1

Quote Originally Posted by axman84 View Post
    i may also save up a few bucks and go for the s4...
    MOAR S4!!!

If you think you can scrape the cash together, go for it. And it comes with a TP2 licence.
    TSP 2 | Serato DJ | Live 8 | MBP (SSD + HDD) | AIAIA TMA-1 Fool's Gold Edition | 1200 Mk2s | MidiFighter | KRK RP5
    Xone: DB4 | Pioneer CDJ-2000 Nexus
    DJTT FAQ | Read my guide to AUDIO CABLES

Quote Originally Posted by djnesquigs View Post
    i know in another thread (http://www.djtechtools.com/forum/showthread.php?t=26223) paul mac is looking to sell his vci/an x1. and that would have everything you needed to get going until you could afford an s4 or wait until the next big hardware upgrade (cause the vci is still a solid piece of kit)

Only problem is that unless I'm much mistaken, paulmac lives in the UK.

Quote Originally Posted by djnesquigs View Post
    just my $0.02
    You must have spent quite a lot with all the $0.02 you've been giving out recently!
    TSP 2 | Serato DJ | Live 8 | MBP (SSD + HDD) | AIAIA TMA-1 Fool's Gold Edition | 1200 Mk2s | MidiFighter | KRK RP5
    Xone: DB4 | Pioneer CDJ-2000 Nexus
    DJTT FAQ | Read my guide to AUDIO CABLES

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast