Software to CREATE and SAVE and DJ set without mixing live

Default Software to CREATE and SAVE and DJ set without mixing live

Hey,

I know I'm going to get some slack for asking about this, but does anyone know of software that I can use to lay out an entire DJ set (and save as .wav or mp3)?

Every time I try to mix a live set (at home), I'm overcome with this anxiety that makes me inevitably f*** it up before its done. When I play live, I have no problem whatsoever when it comes to rockin' the hard jam...But for some reason I can't record a set at home to save my life.

Does anyone know of any software that'll let me set up a DJ set in and save it as such in some easy fashion? Something like Ableton except easier to use, and with the capability to chop up certain samples so that it sounds like the cue point juggling that we all know and love about our VCI-100's.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks.

MixMeister sounds like what you're after.
    Ableton 9.7.5, Native Instruments Komplete Ultimate 11, MOTU 828 Mk2, Nektar Impact LX61+, Ableton Push, Native Instruments Kore 2, and a random selection of soft synths and sample libraries.
    Windows 10 Pro 64 bit with Core i7 4960X Extreme Edition 12 core CPU, 64GB RAM, SanDisk Ultra Extreme SSDs and a GeForce GTX 970 G1 Gaming GPU.

tried mixmeister fusion cos it came with my omni control, horrible piece of software! Not sure if it'll work for you or not. The only thing I can think of is the bridge lol, but unless you want to shell out for a Rane 68 and ableton, that's not really an option!
    TSP 2 | Serato DJ | Live 8 | MBP (SSD + HDD) | AIAIA TMA-1 Fool's Gold Edition | 1200 Mk2s | MidiFighter | KRK RP5
    Xone: DB4 | Pioneer CDJ-2000 Nexus
    DJTT FAQ | Read my guide to AUDIO CABLES

Quote Originally Posted by fullenglishpint View Post
    tried mixmeister fusion cos it came with my omni control, horrible piece of software! Not sure if it'll work for you or not. The only thing I can think of is the bridge lol, but unless you want to shell out for a Rane 68 and ableton, that's not really an option!
    What's "the bridge"?

I see that all over this section of the forum, but can't figure out what it is.

read today's blog post!
    TSP 2 | Serato DJ | Live 8 | MBP (SSD + HDD) | AIAIA TMA-1 Fool's Gold Edition | 1200 Mk2s | MidiFighter | KRK RP5
    Xone: DB4 | Pioneer CDJ-2000 Nexus
    DJTT FAQ | Read my guide to AUDIO CABLES

Mixmeister is exactly what you're looking for!

But, I really thing you need to learn to mix too :eek:

I used to make mix tapes recorded on to cassette. You get half way through and make a mistake and that's it, it's buggered.

This hones your skills. It's like riding a car, you should only be safe on the raod once you have mastered it.

Alternatively, learn to just rerecord and edit the bits of your mix you're not happy with using Audacity.

Basically if you make a mistake just stop the deck (this way you can see the pauses in the waveform) skip back to the beginning of the track or a breakdown (somewhere that you will be able to recognise in the waveform) and rerecord.

Then just clip the bits out in audacity that are mistakes
    CLUB OF JACKS - RELEASES >>TRAXSOURCE
    Club of Jacks are a London based House & Garage production / DJ duo with releases on a number of underground labels including Plastik People Recordings, Blockhead Recordings, Hi Energy!, Pocket Jacks Trax, Soul Revolution Records and their own Club of Jacks imprint.

Quote Originally Posted by MaxOne View Post
    Mixmeister is exactly what you're looking for!

But, I really thing you need to learn to mix too :eek:

I used to make mix tapes recorded on to cassette. You get half way through and make a mistake and that's it, it's buggered.

This hones your skills. It's like riding a car, you should only be safe on the raod once you have mastered it.

Alternatively, learn to just rerecord and edit the bits of your mix you're not happy with using Audacity.

Basically if you make a mistake just stop the deck (this way you can see the pauses in the waveform) skip back to the beginning of the track or a breakdown (somewhere that you will be able to recognise in the waveform) and rerecord.

Then just clip the bits out in audacity that are mistakes
    I should have mentioned I've been DJ'ing for 12 years and held a residency as a house DJ at one of the prominent after hours clubs in the city. I've also gone through the progression of vinyl, CD's and now controllers. I also started off mixing a belt-drive turntable to a CD player really early on.

I have no problem beatmatching, or tearing it up on any of the mediums, but I'm completely retarded when it comes to recording sets. My heart actually starts beating faster and I get really nervous. don't know why.

Maybe I should practice recording more at home, but to me, automating sets just seems to be what everyone is doing...It seems to me like it's a deeply guarded secret in the DJ Scene.

Quote Originally Posted by tokenasianguy View Post
    I should have mentioned I've been DJ'ing for 12 years and held a residency as a house DJ at one of the prominent after hours clubs in the city. I've also gone through the progression of vinyl, CD's and now controllers. I also started off mixing a belt-drive turntable to a CD player really early on.

I have no problem beatmatching, or tearing it up on any of the mediums, but I'm completely retarded when it comes to recording sets. My heart actually starts beating faster and I get really nervous. don't know why.

Maybe I should practice recording more at home, but to me, automating sets just seems to be what everyone is doing...It seems to me like it's a deeply guarded secret in the DJ Scene.
    Sorry, that was well patronizing then

Nuff newbies on here though man who aint even learnt to beatmatch at all... which is ok as technology is heading that way but still, no disrespect.

Anyway, i've done a couple of mixes on mixmeister and it's defo the way to go for simplicity.

For hecticness but unlimited control ableton live but that bugger does my head in.

You use traktor though? Got a sync button innit, can't go wrong (really).

Or my suggestion of editing out mistakes using using audacity (i actually use peak pro - same difference).

That way they're all "live" mixes just done at different "live moments
    CLUB OF JACKS - RELEASES >>TRAXSOURCE
    Club of Jacks are a London based House & Garage production / DJ duo with releases on a number of underground labels including Plastik People Recordings, Blockhead Recordings, Hi Energy!, Pocket Jacks Trax, Soul Revolution Records and their own Club of Jacks imprint.

Tech Wizard

Ableton. I do it to make demos that I want pristine, also to make unique mashups that require too much depth live to do 5 beers deep. Just keep levels to where you don't clip on the main out and it'll all be mastered fine. Only thing that sucks about Ableton with respect to Traktor is that the warp system sucks donkey nutz, IMO. But it just takes a little tweaking.

Note= I'm already 5 beers deep, which means I didn't read any earlier posts.