multi-genre mixing (diff bpms)
Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast

Default multi-genre mixing (diff bpms)

so i usually mix drum and bass at 170 odd bpm and i want to start adding other genres to my sets. like breaks (130bpm-ish), electro(120bpm-ish), and dubstep (140bpm-ish) also some crazy 100bpm bigbeat. does anyone know any sweet tricks for changing genres while mixing? other than simply starting a gig with the slowest genre and slowly mixing thru the genres one by one, getting faster and faster? i wanna chop and change without trainwrecking or destroying the positve magical dance energies
    Quote Originally Posted by dripstep View Post
    Kaon, none of that has to do with drum and bass.

Retired DJTT Moderator DvlsAdvct's Avatar

One good idea is to dig around for the offtempo tracks. So, you have DnB that can build to 180bpm... take that and drop that's half tempo at about 90 (for bigbeat/triphop). Now build that up a little, or down, depending. If you build the tempo slower, down to maybe 70 you can then mix at 140 and just slowly blend up and down, back up to the drum and bass.
    It's the FAQ. Read it.

My Mixes, Mashups and Rants

Divided we stand
    United we fall

There is also a trick I learned from one of my favorite DJs.

It's a scary trick. but extremely useful. Using dead air to make the mix.

very rarely I like to let a song that ends on a soft note, play out as it ends. give just a breath (the musical term, breath) and drop the next track on a downbeat. It's a really amazing effect, and one that is emotionally and psychologically satisfying to the listener.

Maaany DJs disagree with the technique as a copout. I say it's one of the hardest mixes to pull off, but if you do, the effect is AMAZING.

the second track has to hit hard. but its an amazing way to change the energy of a mix. (also make sure you go up 1-2 semitones with the mix)
    Monika.mhz - I do things. Also stuff.
    -------------------
    Read the F.A.Q!
    Articles: Streamline Your Laptop for Djs(Windows)

oh... oh.. and me too XD

dude i am in the same exact spot right now.

for me: I started DJing like a year ago - that was enough time to learn the genre of DnB well (not perfect, but well for playing it)... and now i want to spice up my mixes with some oddities from different genres (ye... Ean's inspiring multigenring digital DJing are in it too).

I got as far as to mix DnB with it's exact 50% speed brother: -hip hop. Ok i might be totaly wrong there, but the other day i talked to this beatbox MC and he told me the only difference between hip hop and DnB is that DnB is twice faster.
    Then i got real good inspiration out of producer called Mutt. Here is some nfo
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tnDGU...ext=1&index=18

his track typically starts as slow one (seems to me as hip hop tempo), then drops the beats full speed at the core of the track and sometimes it fades out to hip hop afterwards as well (of course not actualy this one though). Right now i am experimenting with some of those tracks together with some goodness from DJ Krush... that is my idea at the moment, now i am off to polish it little bit.

Edit: lol my post did too long, that those gyus posted their responses as well... well i dunno i actualy have a hard time understanding of what are you guys up to.
    DVS said: So, you have DnB that can build to 180bpm... take that and drop that's half tempo at about 90
    so you mean literaly drop the track by 50% pitch on the fly? hmmm...
    and Monike: well, i am totaly lost in brazillian village in there, so... can i ask you for example?
    Last edited by Kupujte_Pytle; 01-07-2009 at 04:34 PM.
    DJ Blofeld - The Evil Genius
    I shall look forward personally to exterminating you, Mr. Bond.” Ernst Stavro Blofeld to 007
    Doomsday device: TRAKTOR SCRATCH PRO, AUDIO 8, VCI-100black 1.3, 2x Technics SL1210mkII

When I switch gerne of music I either do a brake stop or beatmasher + fade out out going track & scratch or cue/pause 2x or 3x for the first beat the I play the song. TAP (CUE/PAUSE 2x) then TAP (PLAY)
    Controllerist: Think different | SoundCloud | MixCloud | Twitter |

Retired DJTT Moderator DvlsAdvct's Avatar

there's also a really simple mix... just pick a slower song with a more ambient introduction, drop it over a track that fades out and when the rhythm becomes incomprehensible in the old track the new beat should drop. Just fade it on over.
    It's the FAQ. Read it.

My Mixes, Mashups and Rants

Divided we stand
    United we fall

Quote Originally Posted by DvlsAdvct View Post
    One good idea is to dig around for the offtempo tracks. So, you have DnB that can build to 180bpm... take that and drop that's half tempo at about 90 (for bigbeat/triphop). Now build that up a little, or down, depending. If you build the tempo slower, down to maybe 70 you can then mix at 140 and just slowly blend up and down, back up to the drum and bass.
    yea this is my current method, the only issue is when i slow certain tracks that i wanna use down to much they sound like shit...

Quote Originally Posted by Kupujte_Pytle View Post
    Monike: well, i am totaly lost in brazillian village in there, so... can i ask you for example?
    I can mix one down tomorrow evening. i wont have time today. but i can do a short little demo mix where i do that. (maybe i can squeeze it in at lunch)
    Monika.mhz - I do things. Also stuff.
    -------------------
    Read the F.A.Q!
    Articles: Streamline Your Laptop for Djs(Windows)

Quote Originally Posted by RSDJMoniker View Post
    There is also a trick I learned from one of my favorite DJs.

It's a scary trick. but extremely useful. Using dead air to make the mix.

very rarely I like to let a song that ends on a soft note, play out as it ends. give just a breath (the musical term, breath) and drop the next track on a downbeat. It's a really amazing effect, and one that is emotionally and psychologically satisfying to the listener.

Maaany DJs disagree with the technique as a copout. I say it's one of the hardest mixes to pull off, but if you do, the effect is AMAZING.

the second track has to hit hard. but its an amazing way to change the energy of a mix. (also make sure you go up 1-2 semitones with the mix)
    thats an intersting one...
    im not sure what a "breath" is, i guess a pause of silence the length of which depends on the bpm of the tracks im using to mix?

and what do you mean by going up semi-tones? my musical theory language is heavily rusty, is this like the key? so the track after the breath is in a higher key to maintain energy?

i can see how this would be BOOMingly awesome, however its not something one could use constantly, like maybe once per gig?

Quote Originally Posted by Kupujte_Pytle View Post
    oh... oh.. and me too XD

dude i am in the same exact spot right now.

for me: I started DJing like a year ago - that was enough time to learn the genre of DnB well (not perfect, but well for playing it)... and now i want to spice up my mixes with some oddities from different genres (ye... Ean's inspiring multigenring digital DJing are in it too).

I got as far as to mix DnB with it's exact 50% speed brother: -hip hop. Ok i might be totaly wrong there, but the other day i talked to this beatbox MC and he told me the only difference between hip hop and DnB is that DnB is twice faster.
    Then i got real good inspiration out of producer called Mutt. Here is some nfo
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tnDGU...ext=1&index=18

his track typically starts as slow one (seems to me as hip hop tempo), then drops the beats full speed at the core of the track and sometimes it fades out to hip hop afterwards as well (of course not actualy this one though). Right now i am experimenting with some of those tracks together with some goodness from DJ Krush... that is my idea at the moment, now i am off to polish it little bit.

Edit: lol my post did too long, that those gyus posted their responses as well... well i dunno i actualy have a hard time understanding of what are you guys up to.
    DVS said: So, you have DnB that can build to 180bpm... take that and drop that's half tempo at about 90
    so you mean literaly drop the track by 50% pitch on the fly? hmmm...
    and Monike: well, i am totaly lost in brazillian village in there, so... can i ask you for example?
    while hiphop would work its just not my style, too vocally focused-not enough production in the bass(from my limited knowledge) whereas im usually looking for a dark heavy bassline something along the lines an oil rig farting in a tomb of zombies. but i have some krush so ill take another look

Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast