New speakers for the bedroom, already got an amplifier

Default New speakers for the bedroom, already got an amplifier

Hey djtt community.

I'm currently looking for some new speakers that I can use to listen to my music collection and of course to have a nice sounding DJ setup. Atm I've got an old school NAD 3020 stereo amplifier and two Bose 501 series 111. They aren't that great, but I got them for free I really like the NAD amplifier though, but I've started to wonder if I even need an amplifier, or if I should go with speaker that have them built-in? This has come to my attentions because of this thread (http://www.djtechtools.com/forum/showthread.php?t=25660) that I've been lurking for the last 2 days: but as you can see all the recommendations are with built-in amplifiers. I'm not that big of a hifi guy, so any help would be greatly appreciated. Should I sell my NAD and get speakers with built-in amps, or would I get some better speakers (for the same prize) if I just hook them up to the NAD instead of spending extra on speakers with amps (I suppose that speakers with amps are more pricey than without?).

Thanks!

I have pioneer cs series for about 10 years now. Never failed me. And they don't cost a fortune.
    I'm just a girl, standing in front of a boy, asking him to love her.

I'd go for some nice active monitors tbh, krk's arnt too pricey and they are excellent.

Quote Originally Posted by decon View Post
    Hey djtt community.

I'm currently looking for some new speakers that I can use to listen to my music collection and of course to have a nice sounding DJ setup. Atm I've got an old school NAD 3020 stereo amplifier and two Bose 501 series 111. They aren't that great, but I got them for free I really like the NAD amplifier though, but I've started to wonder if I even need an amplifier, or if I should go with speaker that have them built-in? This has come to my attentions because of this thread (http://www.djtechtools.com/forum/showthread.php?t=25660) that I've been lurking for the last 2 days: but as you can see all the recommendations are with built-in amplifiers. I'm not that big of a hifi guy, so any help would be greatly appreciated. Should I sell my NAD and get speakers with built-in amps, or would I get some better speakers (for the same prize) if I just hook them up to the NAD instead of spending extra on speakers with amps (I suppose that speakers with amps are more pricey than without?).

Thanks!
    Also sitting with the same dilemma - the Audiophile in me says stick with the amp (that NAD is a classic). But......I DID sample a pair if KRK's this week - damn but they sound sweet!
    Last edited by JonathanBlake; 03-11-2011 at 07:18 AM. Reason: corr

Well I have both active and passive monitors, and while I really like my KRKs, don't write off the amp if you like it! My Acoustic Energy AE22s have incredible clarity, I love them (but they're a little on the expensive side)
    TSP 2 | Serato DJ | Live 8 | MBP (SSD + HDD) | AIAIA TMA-1 Fool's Gold Edition | 1200 Mk2s | MidiFighter | KRK RP5
    Xone: DB4 | Pioneer CDJ-2000 Nexus
    DJTT FAQ | Read my guide to AUDIO CABLES

Quote Originally Posted by fullenglishpint View Post
    Well I have both active and passive monitors, and while I really like my KRKs, don't write off the amp if you like it! My Acoustic Energy AE22s have incredible clarity, I love them (but they're a little on the expensive side)
    Rotel RC960BX power/pre amp seperates driving Tannoy MX2's - eargasmic!

Thanks for your suggestions Still I don't know what to do. Could anyone give me a pros/cons view on this dilemma?