No booth out?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: No booth out?

Tech Convert

Default No booth out?

So I have a concern, I am just getting into the world of digital mixing and the only controller I see with a booth control is thje DN MC-6000 but i see very little buzz about this controller and everyone seems to be going nuts over the Pioneer and NI controllers. It seems sloppy to me that NI and Pioneer would overlook this important feature.

Again, I have been spinning for about 15 years but I am very new to digital so this may be something that I am making too much out of.

Void

Most people plug their interface into a traditional mixer in a club environment, and take the booth output from there.
    TSP 2 | Serato DJ | Live 8 | MBP (SSD + HDD) | AIAIA TMA-1 Fool's Gold Edition | 1200 Mk2s | MidiFighter | KRK RP5
    Xone: DB4 | Pioneer CDJ-2000 Nexus
    DJTT FAQ | Read my guide to AUDIO CABLES

DJTT Infectious Moderator photojojo's Avatar

This has been discussed a bunch and I think the general conclusion was if it's a deal breaker for you buy the Denon, however for most it's not that big a deal. A point made even more obvious by the fact that Pioneer didn't include a booth out either.
    Chris Jennings FHP

Podcast - Soundcloud - Mixcloud - Beatport Charts - x

I would be lost without a booth for a monitor to be honest in a club.

Usually use the clubs mixer anyway and cdjs with time code so its all good.

I believe with sync monitors become less important. Hence booth becoming less important and anyway i would assume that in a club you would plug into their mixer which will most certainly have a booth.
    I play everything Indie/ Rock/ HipHop/ Cheese/ Electro/ Dubstep and anything that sounds good

Tsp 1.7/ Tsp 2/ Sony vaio Win 7 4gb Ram / Macbook Pro 13 inch (Main machine) /vci 100 se/ mixdeck/ audio 8/ technics rph headphones/ Custom xBox Controller/ Akai Lpd8

Tech Convert

Well I have not messed with the sync function much but I can say I'm not a fan and would prefer to mix manually. I see a lot of people saying " why not use the booth mixer to control that?" My response is, what if there is no club mixer? I play gigs on occasion where I have not mixer other than what I bring with me.

DJTT Infectious Moderator photojojo's Avatar

This is the fancy way to handle it, there's plenty of other things you can plug into one of the unused main outs and then put a volume control between the monitors and the S4. I know it's not perfect, but it gets you one step closer.

http://www.tcelectronic.com/levelpilot.asp
    Chris Jennings FHP

Podcast - Soundcloud - Mixcloud - Beatport Charts - x

Tech Mentor

S4 and the pioneer one are aimed towards bedroom dj's, I am not saying if it is pro or not neither bad or good. Bedroom dj's definitely not need booth output and if you
    step to a club with digital set most of the time chances are you hook up to a live sound mixer or dj mixer with booth outputs. The point is if you bring your PA or all the pre PA gear then you need it booth outputs otherwise no worries.

Quote Originally Posted by tito View Post
    S4 and the pioneer one are aimed towards bedroom dj's, I am not saying if it is pro or not neither bad or good. Bedroom dj's definitely not need booth output and if you
    step to a club with digital set most of the time chances are you hook up to a live sound mixer or dj mixer with booth outputs. The point is if you bring your PA or all the pre PA gear then you need it booth outputs otherwise no worries.
    S4 arguable, but the pioneer is not aimed at bedroom DJs. It's quite clearly aimed squarely at those using CDJs and a trad mixer, making the switch to digital as easy as possible.

The S4 is a great piece of performance kit but it's equally good for a beginner.
    TSP 2 | Serato DJ | Live 8 | MBP (SSD + HDD) | AIAIA TMA-1 Fool's Gold Edition | 1200 Mk2s | MidiFighter | KRK RP5
    Xone: DB4 | Pioneer CDJ-2000 Nexus
    DJTT FAQ | Read my guide to AUDIO CABLES

Tech Mentor

No booth out, no standalone mixer, no media player by itself, no installation in a club. I spoke to pioneer reps and they stated that bedroom dj's don't need those features, even the no Xlr outputs and it is true that they want those now bedroom dj's get accustomed to the pioneer workflow in case they have become regular dj's but in their mind is clearly that mobile and clubs will not get these products or as a part of a rig for the working dj. It is like their 400 and 350 mixers those were aimed to bedroom, amateurs starter dj's on a budget but with pioneer products and workflow. With the s4 I have not spoke to anyone from NI but with that lack of features is clear where the target is. Any respectable working dj know how important is the monitor output not just for mixing, to know how is the sound and the eq because most of the time the booth is behind the PA or in a location where they have to go quite often to the dance floor to know how does it sound.

Check out the Numark NS6. Its not out yet but should be relatively soon by the end of the second quarter this year. It has four ins (two of those are switchable to mic inputs) two outs (one for master and ONE FOR BOOTH) and balanced XLR. Also it has four channels, awesome jog wheels (3600 ticks per revolution!) its all standard midi, and whats really cool is you can use it as a standalone mixer thats doesnt need a lap top if you wanted to.

Check it out.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uLfdxaC155Q

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast