today: teachers and OK go

Default today: teachers and OK go

ok, well today was... interesting. (sorry if this sounds like a blog)

the drummer from ok go came to my school and i wasnt there for it, but my friend said that it was just a Q and A and one of the questions was:
    "whats your favorite band"
    he said (paraphrasing):
    "i dont know, but ive been listening to a lot of dubstep lately"
    dont get put off by the mention of dubstep, thats not the main part of this

he was also asked:
    "what about pirating music?"
    (paraphrasing) "well, i dont care. come to our shows where we work for the money we get. thats where out real money comes from"

so, theres all this labor union stuff going on in wisconsin, and im a bit fuzzy on it all, but i still more know more than most of some fucktards that got me pissed today.

background: illinois (where i live) is trying to pass a law to make it illegal for teachers to go on strike.
    early this morning, a group of my fellow students started the idea that WE should strike for them against this.

this was nick named 'the walk out' because the plan was for students to all get up at exactly 2pm (about an hour before school ends) and walk out of class and go outside to the flag pole and go with it from there.

a lot of people were unsure about this, but when the teachers got wind of it, most said students should do it.

heres my rant:

1. the turn out was only 100 or so people out of a school of about 2,600
    2. the freshmen were too afraid that they would get in trouble.
    3. the few freshies that went called it 'walk out 2011' as if this is an annual thing, witch brings me to #4
    4. most people did this to miss class or the rest of the day. even worse, most didnt even know what this was about. at all
    5. worse yet, none of this mattered because without media attention, small protests like this are pointless.

on the plus side, if any local news (remember im in chicago, so shit could have gotten big) came and asked a student about this, they wouldnt know what to say because their too fucking stupid to look at some of the sighns that were made.

its pathetic how 'skipping class' spread like fire, but WHY didnt.

</faith in humanity>
    Become a Fan, And View My Latest Mixes | DJTT Chatroom (FB)
    Quote Originally Posted by photojojo View Post
    If the pack of lions are in sync then they're not real lions so it doesn't count.

My mother would probably respond by saying we need another world war to slap youth into shape. I'm finding it harder and harder to disagree with her.

People have it way to easy these days and it is breeding idiocracy.
    A&H Xone:96 | Xone:K1 | 2 x 1210s | Traktor Pro 3 | Apple Macbook Pro (2015) 13" | Sennheiser HD7 DJ | Maschine Mikro Mk3
    read: http://djworx.com/author/dan-morse
    talk: http://facebook.com/bleeptechno
    listen: http://mixcloud.com/bleephudds

Quote Originally Posted by theory28 View Post
    ok, well today was... interesting. (sorry if this sounds like a blog)

the drummer from ok go came to my school and i wasnt there for it, but my friend said that it was just a Q and A and one of the questions was:
    "whats your favorite band"
    he said (paraphrasing):
    "i dont know, but ive been listening to a lot of dubstep lately"
    dont get put off by the mention of dubstep, thats not the main part of this

he was also asked:
    "what about pirating music?"
    (paraphrasing) "well, i dont care. come to our shows where we work for the money we get. thats where out real money comes from"

so, theres all this labor union stuff going on in wisconsin, and im a bit fuzzy on it all, but i still more know more than most of some fucktards that got me pissed today.

background: illinois (where i live) is trying to pass a law to make it illegal for teachers to go on strike.
    early this morning, a group of my fellow students started the idea that WE should strike for them against this.

this was nick named 'the walk out' because the plan was for students to all get up at exactly 2pm (about an hour before school ends) and walk out of class and go outside to the flag pole and go with it from there.

a lot of people were unsure about this, but when the teachers got wind of it, most said students should do it.

heres my rant:

1. the turn out was only 100 or so people out of a school of about 2,600
    2. the freshmen were too afraid that they would get in trouble.
    3. the few freshies that went called it 'walk out 2011' as if this is an annual thing, witch brings me to #4
    4. most people did this to miss class or the rest of the day. even worse, most didnt even know what this was about. at all
    5. worse yet, none of this mattered because without media attention, small protests like this are pointless.

on the plus side, if any local news (remember im in chicago, so shit could have gotten big) came and asked a student about this, they wouldnt know what to say because their too fucking stupid to look at some of the sighns that were made.

its pathetic how 'skipping class' spread like fire, but WHY didnt.

</faith in humanity>
    During the 'Student University Fees Increase' in the UK there was a huge turnout and ended up getting like this "/

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MmudJafnQh0

and the students trashing the HQ of the current party in power.

But at our local college we had 800 out of 1,600 students walk out of lessons in a 'walk out' protest and we all signed a petition to our local MP.

They still increased the university fees but we still made a point and objected and stood up for our right to protest!
    | TSP2 | Behringer DJX 750 | NI Audio 8 | Asus Eee PC | Novation Launchpad | Kontrol X1 | 2x Technics 1210 MK II's

stupid part: this protest only last 15- 20 minutes and it was supposed to last for as long as we could make it.

really stupid. but like i said, it was pointless without media attention, even though it shouldnt be.

also: i think i can say i was the one of the first to protest this new law./ my school was the first.

but how would we know without media coverage? see. when my friend jokingly said 'lets star a riot' it might have been a really good idea.

but our idea was to a) go on the steps and tell the ping pong ball joke AKA the joke that you can make last forever because its all improv. (i went for 10 minutes once before I got bored) skip to the last 30 seconds when you get bored with it

spoiler: i end it by saying 'wasnt it obvious' then he dies and you walk away from the massive crowd that has been pulled into the joke, wundering what the punchline is
    If the pack of lions are in sync then they're not real lions so it doesn't count.

Quote Originally Posted by theory28 View Post
    but how would we know without media coverage? see. when my friend jokingly said 'lets star a riot' it might have been a really good idea. [/COLOR]
    Best to have positive media attention rather than negative media attention.

For our protest we caused quite a stir as the college completely disagreed with it and we purposely left the protect planning to the last minute so that the police would treat it more as a threat thus gaining more media attention.

Hope you can get the motion over turn.
    | TSP2 | Behringer DJX 750 | NI Audio 8 | Asus Eee PC | Novation Launchpad | Kontrol X1 | 2x Technics 1210 MK II's

oh the riot thing was a joke unrelated to the media thing, but had it happened then...

i dont know where im going with this. lol

Tech Mentor

Might be something to try again in the near future before the legislation is voted on. Leaking info to the media ahead of time letting them know the who, what, where and when might not be a bad idea either.