CDJ-900's CD's or Flash Drive?!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Tech Student

Default CDJ-900's CD's or Flash Drive?!

so i just recently picked up a pair of CDJ-900s and ive been using my friends book of cd's and i find it to work extremely well.. im not going to lie im a bit lazy too burn thousands of cds, label them with key and bpm (but it doesnt mean i wont do it, if its a better choice) i was thinking of maybe just buying 2 32gb flash drives and having one as a backup.. would that be a better solution as to per-say having physical cds? i think its a bit easier looking through a book of cds with keys, and bpm as to a list of tracks.. opinions? what do you use? and i know this is off topic from the thread but im looking into buying a mixer for my twins.. and i was leaning towards the djm-800 but the djm-900 is coming out and i was wondering if you guys think its worth the wait plus price.. whatever its going to be..

Tech Guru

i was using cdj400s with two 32GB SSDs with usb & sata. For the 400s, it was a must that it it's SSDs/Flash drive, rather than spinning platter hdd, as they were indexing all MP3 tags at each plug/power on of the units. The SSDs were initialising times faster.

I'd say that's it a relatively convenient way of using the CDJs. The displays of 900s appear to be good for browsing. I'd expect it to be reliable too. With the 900, you can also share the drive across the both units, which is even better.

AFAIK, the 900's are USB2 host. Also the RecordBox software builds a DB of the track tags (name, bpm, etc.) so the load will be MUCH faster. Practically, this means that you could have a much larger drive and the CDJ will handle it with ease. You could also fill it in with WAVs, instead of crappy MP3s.

That said, I'm not sure how much sense if makes to have expensive SSDs/Flash drives instead a pair of cheap and larger spinning platters (for backup) the extra GBs will be nice, and rekord box will assure the fast load times.

P.S. BTW, I ended up using traktor much more often than the flash disks.

Hi

I had the 400's and they were good with the usb sticks, although I sometimes had issues with certain tracks that just would not play... I tried reformatting the mp3 through many variations from CBR to VBR and went through all the options to no avail...

This problem aside the 400's were great, the loading time speeds up after the first time you use the sticks and no real issues... although the track not playing problem annoyed me... and I sold them got traktor and 2x midi fighters and an ecler evo 5.

The 900's look great and if I had money to burn they would sit very nicely in my set up... they just cost a little too much to justify them in my home set up.
    MBP 2012, Traktor Scratch Pro, Kontrol X4, 1x Midi Fighters, TR-8

Tech Mentor

Both?
    Equipment------
    --HP Dv6T Select Editon. i5 6gb DDR3, backlit keys and touchscreen.

both.
    Controllerist: Think different | SoundCloud | MixCloud | Twitter |

Flash!!!

Tech Guru

what are you saying - you love the CDJ400s ? that much that you'd all want to keep them (if .... whatever)?

Tech Student

so both? and another question is.. would you guys suggest me using traktor with my cdjs?

Both bro. You never know when you might come across some CDJs without this new fancy USB doodad and then you can just bust out all your old favourites which you burnt to CD.

Traktors cool and all but you gotta ask yourself if it'll be worth it.

You'll have to spend £300 on traktor scratch duo + acquire a laptop and then you'll have to set it up before you play and worry about the laptop getting damaged etc. Are you just going to use it as a straight up DVS? Or are their other features in Traktor that you will be using enough in order to justify the fuss? OR do you just really really hate burning CDs/sticking tunes on usb sticks? :P

Personally I'd go for CDs and USB. Only reason I use a DVS is because big spinning bits of wax are cool

traktor is convienant... but so is the USB sticks (and less chance of something super expensive getting trashed at a gig)

either way if you did cds/traktor/or usb.. youd still have to organize/sort your tunes anyways. it just depends on how you wanna go about doing it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Xonetacular View Post
    Ya I've heard one song. It's called Skrillex.
    13" Macbook - 256gb SSD, 750gb HDD, 8gb Ram ❘ DDJ-SX | HDJ-2000
    Kontrol Z1 | Midifighter 3D | Kontrol X1

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast